iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   My first major mishap (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/my-first-major-mishap-243549.html)

RedRaider93 04-24-2015 07:34 AM

My first major mishap

I've had my Cornerstone for about 2 months now, and yesterday I made my first really stupid and carless mistake. I was turning into a picnic area that was on the left side of the road, so I had to cross oncoming traffic. Rather than wait for a nice long break in the traffic where I could crawl across slowly to enter the picnic area, I temporarily thought I was in a regular car and I zipped quickly across trying to beat the traffic that was coming.

Needless to say, I didn't see the dip in the pavement going into the picnic area, so when I hit it I heard a huge "whack" from the front end, and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

When I got out to look, my heart sank as the top part of the generator slide cap was hanging out away from the coach. The impact caused all four bolts that hold the cap in place to pop out and strip the fiberglass. In addition, I scraped up the bottom of the fiberglass all along the front.

I felt sick to my stomach that I had been so stupid and careless. I made the rest of my trip with gorilla tape holding the cap shut (which looked really classy), and today I'll head to Lowe's to see if I can figure out a way to re-attach it myself. If I can't, I'll have to get professional repairs.

I'm sure most people aren't as stupid as I am, but I just wanted to post this story to remind everyone to enter parking lots and picnic areas very slowly!!!

rvbmw1 04-24-2015 07:40 AM

OUCH!!!:facepalm:

fla tom 04-24-2015 07:44 AM

things like that do put a damper on the day sorry hope its an easy fix

cenfl 04-24-2015 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear of your accident and hope you get your beautiful coach repaired soon. Appreciate the reminder about the EXTRA care necessary in driving these vehicles. Have to really focus every time I go from the Mini to the motor home :eek:

brobox 04-24-2015 07:59 AM

So sorry to hear that Jeff. One more ramp to add to your list are truck stop entrance ramps. Don't ask me how I know that one.....I did the samething you did, but just bent a bolt on the Travel Supreme and scratched the cowl, thankfully it was underneath and couldn't be seen.

If you need to fiberglass the bolt holes a fiberglass kit can be purchsed at any auto parts store. Sorry for the boo-boo

Nowabeachbum 04-24-2015 08:19 AM

Congratulations Jeff, you now have another story to tell around the campfire! It happens to all of us in one way or another so good luck with the repair and be grateful it's not worse, cause some are.
Also when I'm driving, I try to keep in mind what a driving instructor told me once. "Remember you are the biggest thing out there so take your time, they'll wait! So what if they honk, you're never going to see them again!":thumb:

oakcreekeric 04-24-2015 08:22 AM

If it will make you feel better, and it likely won't..

My first mishap was misjudging my spacing and side-swiping the car dolly... :banghead:

okie-dokie 04-24-2015 08:41 AM

My first mishap. I had a advertising sign run into the drivers side of the coach, as I was pulling into a refueling station. At least that's what I told my insurance agent. They tell you to never admit fault !!!!!

papa&susu 04-24-2015 08:52 AM

Well, now that you got your first out of the way, the next one will make you feel just as bad. However, it will never again be the FIRST! I know the stories i could tell....

Patrol 65 04-24-2015 08:53 AM

You can purchase a fiberglass repair kit from an auto parts store and repair the holes where the bolts were ripped out.

MRUSA14 04-24-2015 09:36 AM

You may be able to reattach the bolts using Toggler Plastic Drywall Anchors | Installing Plastic Drywall Anchors, Plastic Fasteners, Plastic Toggle Bolts. This worked for me when my fender pulled the screws out due to the tire hitting it.

wimberleyman 04-24-2015 09:46 AM

Jeff, like the previous posts indicated, most of us have been there. I backed into a post parking my 38 footer in the storage lot. I never felt it as I was really backing slow and watching the back-up camera. The insurance adjuster said I probably wouldn't feel or hear it being that far back behind me with the diesel engine running. $5500 later I learned that back-up camera's have blind spots! It took me a year or so with a few more near misses but I have now learned to be patient, take it slow, and when unsure always get out and look. There are some Lazy Days videos on the web that provide really good Class A driving tips. All the previous posts are good advice as well.

Good Luck and happy RV'n.
WM

KennyGolub 04-24-2015 09:56 AM

I agree with all....don't be so hard on yourself.

You know, that might be the incident that you'll keep in mind, that could prevent you in the future from making a dash like that and getting T-Boned.

It hurts the wallet, but it can all be fixed.

Doclad 04-24-2015 10:35 AM

I felt the same gut wrenching pain 5mo ago. Wife ran into the back of our 2mo old Aspire while trailing me. Totalled her car. Excited to say she was physically unharmed and the coach repairs are being made. Reminder to SLOW down and focus on the journey. Hope to have it by Memorial Day.

spsm 04-24-2015 10:48 AM

If we all haven't lived your problem yet, 9 x out 0f 10, we will. Stuff happens, and again we are always in a hurry. I feel your pain. Be smart, get professional help. You have a nice rig, keep it that way.

taylorgso 04-24-2015 10:49 AM

We all have a "first" time... and usually a 2nd, 3rd, etc.

My "first" was pulling head first into my sister in law's driveway. They had bushes planted along the side and at the street. I forgot that the back wheels don't track the front wheels when making tight turns. Raked those bushes along 2/3 the length of the 38' coach. After filling and leveling the scratches with bondo, it was off to the paint shop. Expensive lesson learned - now I BACK in to tight places!!!

RedRaider93 04-24-2015 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I took the advice some of you provided and bought a fiberglass repair kit at the auto parts store. I'm waiting for it to dry now, so I'll see later today if it works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

navychop 04-24-2015 11:10 AM

Been there, done that in a campground, broke the T-handle that opens the door. Owner got a load of gravel and leveled it out.

hawgguy 04-24-2015 12:22 PM

15 years ago sideswiped a concrete barrier while pulling out of the dealer lot with my first (used) Class A.
4 years ago backed my 2 week old MH into a tree limb. My spotter was watching for the tree, but not the tree limb.
These things are big and low to the ground. Speed and approach angle are important.

Mike and Cha 04-24-2015 12:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your mishap, thanks for sharing, it reminds us all that nothing is really worth hurrying for. I think we all have done something like that, it reminds me of my first time out with a new Sea Ray boat, I misjudged the dock and scraped the side. For the rest of the trip all I could do was look at the scratches, instead of enjoying the trip. Good luck on getting it fixed and you have a beautiful MH.

Todd.H 04-24-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum (Post 2526656)
Congratulations Jeff, you now have another story to tell around the campfire! It happens to all of us in one way or another so good luck with the repair and be grateful it's not worse, cause some are.
Also when I'm driving, I try to keep in mind what a driving instructor told me once. "Remember you are the biggest thing out there so take your time, they'll wait! So what if they honk, you're never going to see them again!":thumb:

I could not agree more! Yes, it sucks that great stories often include some form of personal anguish or financial investment, however, these are some of the best stories we will ever get to share with others. As long as everyone survives and you can fix whatever damage was done. I started my MH stories the first day I bought my MH and was driving it home. Had a rear tire blowout which instantly created my own little circus complete with clowns (me) and spectators (everyone else).

I also love the comment from you driving instructor. Although I have only been doing the MH thing for a little over a year, I find myself t(often) thinking the same thing, slow down enjoy the ride and don't worry about holding up the other traffic. I'm in a motorhome not a race car. :dance:

brobox 04-24-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider93 (Post 2526888)
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I took the advice some of you provided and bought a fiberglass repair kit at the auto parts store. I'm waiting for it to dry now, so I'll see later today if it works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jeff, if is humid there today, let the fiberglass cure for 24 hours. Better safe than sorry.

johnnyreno 04-24-2015 02:17 PM

What Drag no pun intended this to shall pass

LarrytheBear 04-24-2015 02:33 PM

Thanks for sharing. It's a great reminder for us all. Hope the fiberglass repair works.

dusty56 04-24-2015 07:35 PM

Redraider93 I hate to hear that happened to you. Remember with a push of a button you can raise your coach 4 inches. When in doubt push the UP button on your hadley. That has saved my bacon more times than I can count.

hogdriver 04-25-2015 04:21 AM

Jeff

If the repair looks difficult you can probably find a boat repair shop. Those guys do a lot of work with fiberglass.

mikensallyt 04-25-2015 04:49 AM

I hear and feel your pain as many others do. First few days out in our new 2015 I pulled into a truck stop for gas. Well being na´ve, I figured I best go fill up where the 18 wheelers were filling up. Turns out the pumps were all diesel and I'm gas. So WRONG. Being impatient and not knowing these drivers pull up to the pump and go inside for OMG a long time until they come out. I thought I had enough room to "go around" him" NOT. I forgot all about the wide cornering and wiped out three bottom compartment doors doing $11k in damages. Damn. Learned not to be in a hurry, even on the road. Btw enjoy your new ride.

BigTone 04-25-2015 10:48 AM

Jeff, I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune with your gorgeous new rig. As others have said, thank you for sharing the details with us so hopefully we can avoid the same situation. Remember, we live and learn from our mistakes. I wish you all the best with your repairs. And know that your iRV2 family is thinking of you.

wmpbauer 04-25-2015 10:45 PM

Jeff, what really is humbling is when you make that same mistake a second time.......

Just remember...to err is human.....!

Wmpbauer

Mr_D 04-25-2015 11:07 PM

Friend of ours bought a nice rig 5 years newer that our '02 DSDP. Told him if he wanted to sell it in the future we'd be interested.
Well, now he's run into three different things and I'm thinking we don't want it now!!

So far in the three months we've had the Magna I haven't hit anything! But one of these days......

PeaceOwl 04-25-2015 11:35 PM

We'll, I feel badly for you, and my husband and I can relate to your feelings and the forgetting which car you are in! My husband backed into a tree while I was videoing him turning into our campsite! He felt so bad! It was hard to have a good time that weekend!

Now it is fixed, our insurance was great and so was the service. Such a relief! It was a great learning experience for us both. Neither of us as young as we'd like to be, we really have to pay attention.

Hang in there! It is unnerving, and a confidence blaster, but my theory is everything happens for a reason.:facepalm:

RedRaider93 04-26-2015 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since so many of you have been so nice to share your stories and offer words of encouragement, I just wanted to circle back around and let you know how things turned out.

On my way home from the trip, I stopped at the same picnic area where the damage took place (and of course, entered it MUCH more slowly!!) to see if I could retrieve the screws. I was so rattled the day it happened, it didn't even occur to me to go pick them up.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to find 2 of the 4 screws, and I was able to go to Home Depot to pick up more, so I knew I had the same screws and washers that the factory used.

Thanks to the great advice I received on this thread, I used a fiberglass repair kit to repair the holes where the screws had been stripped. I then replaced the four screws that were ripped out, plus added two additional ones for good measure (there were two additional holes in the frame, but the factory only installs 4 screws instead of 6).

So the good news is that part of the repair worked perfectly. The top part of the generator slide cap looks good as new, and is perfectly flush. The bad news, which I didn't realize until this morning, is that there is permanent damage to the driver side inside corner of the main front cap.

I crawled under it for a closer look this morning, and the fiberglass in the corner is actually cracked. This is causing the bottom part of the gen slide cap to be out of alignment with the driver side of the main cap.

As far as I can tell, the only way to repair this would be to have the whole front cap replaced or repaired. The damage is subtle enough that I think I'll probably just have to live with it. My wife and kids didn't even notice the damage until I pointed it out to them, so most likely it'll just be one of those things that will haunt me forever, but hopefully most people won't even notice. It will just serve as a constant reminder to me to always be extra careful!

Here's a picture of what it looks like now after the repair, and you can see the cap alignment issue I'm talking about.

brianw8602 04-26-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider93 (Post 2529730)
My wife and kids didn't even notice the damage until I pointed it out to them, so most likely it'll just be one of those things that will haunt me forever, but hopefully most people won't even notice. It will just serve as a constant reminder to me to always be extra careful!

Jeff, I agree with your assessment of it being something that only you see. Kinda like a bad haircut that no one else notices until you point it out. :D Sounds like you did an excellent repair to the generator access door. :thumb:

brobox 04-26-2015 03:06 PM

Jeff, I believe a good boat or Corvette glass man can fix the problem that I am seeing in the photo. I have a great one if you are coming to FL and he is mobile.

Finally 04-26-2015 03:30 PM

Glad you were able to fix the damage and continue the journey.

I was backing up my new enclosed car trailer and hit a fence. Didn't feel it. Put a small hole in door.

RedRaider93 04-26-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 2530088)
Jeff, I believe a good boat or Corvette glass man can fix the problem that I am seeing in the photo. I have a great one if you are coming to FL and he is mobile.

I don't think I'll be in Florida any time soon, but that's a good idea. Maybe I'll see if I can find a good guy here in the Houston area.

Knightab 04-26-2015 05:32 PM

Sometimes we get in a hurry and normally never pays off. Sorry about the damage hope you can fix it. It makes a great reminder of the rest of us

dusty56 04-26-2015 06:04 PM

Jeff, I am sure you noticed there are adjustment rods on the lower cap that may take up a lot of the misalignment you are dealing with. I wish I had before and after pictures but I had to adjust mine when I picked it up from delivery. Didn't look like yours but mine was a good inch out on one side, inch in other side and was tilted, but it can be adjusted.

There is considerable amount of pressure on the cap from the factory. When you hit the bottom you might of bent, moved (or cracked) the adjustment rods and the area that they connect.

try that first and see if you can bring it back to factory specs. looking at the picture you have on the thread I think it is fixable. Good luck.

brobox 04-26-2015 08:09 PM

Mike is correct, I totally forgot about the threaded alignment bars. I'll bet he is right about knocking one out of whack.

hogdriver 04-27-2015 05:14 AM

I would definitely not want that front cap removed to make repair. As Chuck and the others said I'd check into a boat or corvette shop and see if they could repair the cap in place with the adjusting rods or possibly a wood jig to hold the cap while the fiberglass sets up.

RedRaider93 04-27-2015 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty56 (Post 2530396)
Jeff, I am sure you noticed there are adjustment rods on the lower cap that may take up a lot of the misalignment you are dealing with.

I did notice the rods under there, but I didn't even realize they could be adjusted. I continue to learn more and more from all you guys here on the forum, and I can't thank you enough for that. I took it back to storage yesterday, but as soon as I get a chance this week I will go back out there and give it a try. If I'm able to make adjustments and fix the misalignment, you will have made me a very happy camper!!!

oakcreekeric 04-27-2015 10:09 AM

I love threads like this... There is nothing better than finding comfort in misery...

It almost feels like an AA meeting.. Hello, my name is Eric, and I'm an idiot.. I did "_____" to my RV because I disengaged my brain for a spit-second...

As with everything, this too shall pass... and as others have mentioned.. another "war" story for the campfire..

Good to see you have things back together..

brobox 04-27-2015 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jeff,
I took a good look at mine this morning. The adjustment rod is 1/2 threaded stock the goes into a 1 inch angle iron mount that is welded to the frame. I can see where the angle iron could bend with enough force and looks to be the weakest link. If it cannot be pulled straight, possibly cut it off leaving enough to bolt another piece of angle iron. There is one of these on each side of the generator opening. I see where one of mine needs to go out 1/4 of an inch. Hope the photos helps and gives you some ideas.

Thanks to Mike, I hope that is the problem and an easy fix.

RedRaider93 04-27-2015 01:02 PM

Chuck, thanks for the pics! I can't wait to get out there and try to fix it.

brobox 04-27-2015 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are welcome. It gave me a change to look at the area for the weather stripping 1Mainic was referring to. It is right where the lower part of the cowling hit. The white spot in the photo is where my cowl is rubbing. I hate that you had you problem, but I was able to learn from it as well.

brobox 04-28-2015 12:52 PM

Dusty56, I used your tip on aligning the front cap with the generator door and it worked perfect. Easy to do and now everything is flush, thank you, great tip.

Ann n Gene 04-28-2015 06:50 PM

Boy! Ain't it great when a plan come together? Great forum, great advise, great people.❤️it! 😍🚌🚓

brobox 04-28-2015 06:59 PM

So true Gene. Jeff post a tragic problem and it turns into a fix for several coaches thanks to members sharing informative fixes. Hopefully it also keeps Jeff out of an expensive repair shop.

taylorgso 04-29-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann n Gene (Post 2533478)
Boy! Ain't it great when a plan come together? Great forum, great advise, great people.❤️it! 😍🚌🚓

X2 - Love it!

Mr_D 04-29-2015 10:07 AM

When we first got the 2002 Dutch Star we were coming out of Andresons Split Per parking lot and I hit their California drainage "dip". Scraped up the drivers side lower front. It was so far under and not really noticeable I never had it fixed. Very few people even noticed it. I have a friend that used to do painting and body work on NASCAR cars who offered to help me fix it. Just never took him up on it.

dusty56 04-29-2015 03:14 PM

Brobox that is why DW and I enjoy RVing. Everyone offers help when needed. I hope it works for Jeff like it did for you.

RedRaider93 05-01-2015 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got a chance to go out to my storage place and work on fixing my front cap alignment. I'm happy to say Mike's suggestion worked, and it now looks pretty much as good as new (as long as you don't get down on the ground and look at the scraped fiberglass on the bottom!).

I can't thank all you guys enough for your help on this. A week ago, I thought I had major permanent damage from my "mishap", and now it looks great. It cost me nothing other than a $20 container of fiberglass repair resin. I literally never would have gotten it fixed so well if not for everyone here on the forum.

This is a great forum, filled with great people! I hope someday I can help someone else as much as you guys have helped me!!

Here is a picture after the repair:

Nowabeachbum 05-01-2015 02:35 PM

:thumb:
Looks great!

oakcreekeric 05-01-2015 02:44 PM

Job well done... :dance:

Now, go over to this thread (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/its-f...ng-184290.html) and enlighten us to what you're celebrating with... :angel:

brobox 05-01-2015 03:21 PM

Jeff, that looks fantastic, glad Mike was able to keep you out of the repair shop. As for the driveway rash, my Travel Supreme had one for 10 years and I was the only one that knew it was there. :)

hogdriver 05-01-2015 04:03 PM

Looks great. You now have a new vocation if you need it!

50sbuckeye 05-01-2015 04:32 PM

Just remember it can be fixed and no one was hurt. Experience is the best teacher. Probably not the last boo boo, but you will be more cautious, which is a good thing.

dusty56 05-01-2015 06:11 PM

Jeff I am glad that it worked out for you. The alignment looks perfect on the picture. You are ready for the next adventure. Remember HADLEY is our friend!

brobox 05-02-2015 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty56 (Post 2537506)
Jeff I am glad that it worked out for you. The alignment looks perfect on the picture. You are ready for the next adventure. Remember HADLEY is our friend!

And for those of us that don't have the luxury of Hadley's, I sure wish I did:) An angled approach to a steep driveway ramp is the best we can do. It beats scraping the generator cowl. I also learned that one the hard way.

Truck fuel stops are worst, they are built for trucks, not low riding MH's. It was a flying J that got me.

DSL417 05-02-2015 08:04 AM

Jeff, I noted you indicated that there was a crack in the corner (or bottom) of the front cap. From experience, a crack or tear in the edge of the cap is repairable. Mine on my 2013 was a three inch tear in the bottom inside edge. Precision, at Bremen, ground out the rough edges, relayered the fiberglass in the crack, ground it smooth, repainted that which was required to assure no "seam" showed on the cap. Their body and paint guy was a wiz and it looked like new. I'd be surprised if you have to replace the rear cap.