iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   My first major mishap (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/my-first-major-mishap-243549.html)

spsm 04-24-2015 10:48 AM

If we all haven't lived your problem yet, 9 x out 0f 10, we will. Stuff happens, and again we are always in a hurry. I feel your pain. Be smart, get professional help. You have a nice rig, keep it that way.

taylorgso 04-24-2015 10:49 AM

We all have a "first" time... and usually a 2nd, 3rd, etc.

My "first" was pulling head first into my sister in law's driveway. They had bushes planted along the side and at the street. I forgot that the back wheels don't track the front wheels when making tight turns. Raked those bushes along 2/3 the length of the 38' coach. After filling and leveling the scratches with bondo, it was off to the paint shop. Expensive lesson learned - now I BACK in to tight places!!!

RedRaider93 04-24-2015 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I took the advice some of you provided and bought a fiberglass repair kit at the auto parts store. I'm waiting for it to dry now, so I'll see later today if it works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

navychop 04-24-2015 11:10 AM

Been there, done that in a campground, broke the T-handle that opens the door. Owner got a load of gravel and leveled it out.

hawgguy 04-24-2015 12:22 PM

15 years ago sideswiped a concrete barrier while pulling out of the dealer lot with my first (used) Class A.
4 years ago backed my 2 week old MH into a tree limb. My spotter was watching for the tree, but not the tree limb.
These things are big and low to the ground. Speed and approach angle are important.

Mike and Cha 04-24-2015 12:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your mishap, thanks for sharing, it reminds us all that nothing is really worth hurrying for. I think we all have done something like that, it reminds me of my first time out with a new Sea Ray boat, I misjudged the dock and scraped the side. For the rest of the trip all I could do was look at the scratches, instead of enjoying the trip. Good luck on getting it fixed and you have a beautiful MH.

Todd.H 04-24-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum (Post 2526656)
Congratulations Jeff, you now have another story to tell around the campfire! It happens to all of us in one way or another so good luck with the repair and be grateful it's not worse, cause some are.
Also when I'm driving, I try to keep in mind what a driving instructor told me once. "Remember you are the biggest thing out there so take your time, they'll wait! So what if they honk, you're never going to see them again!":thumb:

I could not agree more! Yes, it sucks that great stories often include some form of personal anguish or financial investment, however, these are some of the best stories we will ever get to share with others. As long as everyone survives and you can fix whatever damage was done. I started my MH stories the first day I bought my MH and was driving it home. Had a rear tire blowout which instantly created my own little circus complete with clowns (me) and spectators (everyone else).

I also love the comment from you driving instructor. Although I have only been doing the MH thing for a little over a year, I find myself t(often) thinking the same thing, slow down enjoy the ride and don't worry about holding up the other traffic. I'm in a motorhome not a race car. :dance:

brobox 04-24-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider93 (Post 2526888)
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I took the advice some of you provided and bought a fiberglass repair kit at the auto parts store. I'm waiting for it to dry now, so I'll see later today if it works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jeff, if is humid there today, let the fiberglass cure for 24 hours. Better safe than sorry.

johnnyreno 04-24-2015 02:17 PM

What Drag no pun intended this to shall pass

LarrytheBear 04-24-2015 02:33 PM

Thanks for sharing. It's a great reminder for us all. Hope the fiberglass repair works.

dusty56 04-24-2015 07:35 PM

Redraider93 I hate to hear that happened to you. Remember with a push of a button you can raise your coach 4 inches. When in doubt push the UP button on your hadley. That has saved my bacon more times than I can count.

hogdriver 04-25-2015 04:21 AM

Jeff

If the repair looks difficult you can probably find a boat repair shop. Those guys do a lot of work with fiberglass.

mikensallyt 04-25-2015 04:49 AM

I hear and feel your pain as many others do. First few days out in our new 2015 I pulled into a truck stop for gas. Well being na´ve, I figured I best go fill up where the 18 wheelers were filling up. Turns out the pumps were all diesel and I'm gas. So WRONG. Being impatient and not knowing these drivers pull up to the pump and go inside for OMG a long time until they come out. I thought I had enough room to "go around" him" NOT. I forgot all about the wide cornering and wiped out three bottom compartment doors doing $11k in damages. Damn. Learned not to be in a hurry, even on the road. Btw enjoy your new ride.

BigTone 04-25-2015 10:48 AM

Jeff, I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune with your gorgeous new rig. As others have said, thank you for sharing the details with us so hopefully we can avoid the same situation. Remember, we live and learn from our mistakes. I wish you all the best with your repairs. And know that your iRV2 family is thinking of you.