iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   My first major mishap (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/my-first-major-mishap-243549.html)

wmpbauer 04-25-2015 10:45 PM

Jeff, what really is humbling is when you make that same mistake a second time.......

Just remember...to err is human.....!

Wmpbauer

Mr_D 04-25-2015 11:07 PM

Friend of ours bought a nice rig 5 years newer that our '02 DSDP. Told him if he wanted to sell it in the future we'd be interested.
Well, now he's run into three different things and I'm thinking we don't want it now!!

So far in the three months we've had the Magna I haven't hit anything! But one of these days......

PeaceOwl 04-25-2015 11:35 PM

We'll, I feel badly for you, and my husband and I can relate to your feelings and the forgetting which car you are in! My husband backed into a tree while I was videoing him turning into our campsite! He felt so bad! It was hard to have a good time that weekend!

Now it is fixed, our insurance was great and so was the service. Such a relief! It was a great learning experience for us both. Neither of us as young as we'd like to be, we really have to pay attention.

Hang in there! It is unnerving, and a confidence blaster, but my theory is everything happens for a reason.:facepalm:

RedRaider93 04-26-2015 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since so many of you have been so nice to share your stories and offer words of encouragement, I just wanted to circle back around and let you know how things turned out.

On my way home from the trip, I stopped at the same picnic area where the damage took place (and of course, entered it MUCH more slowly!!) to see if I could retrieve the screws. I was so rattled the day it happened, it didn't even occur to me to go pick them up.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to find 2 of the 4 screws, and I was able to go to Home Depot to pick up more, so I knew I had the same screws and washers that the factory used.

Thanks to the great advice I received on this thread, I used a fiberglass repair kit to repair the holes where the screws had been stripped. I then replaced the four screws that were ripped out, plus added two additional ones for good measure (there were two additional holes in the frame, but the factory only installs 4 screws instead of 6).

So the good news is that part of the repair worked perfectly. The top part of the generator slide cap looks good as new, and is perfectly flush. The bad news, which I didn't realize until this morning, is that there is permanent damage to the driver side inside corner of the main front cap.

I crawled under it for a closer look this morning, and the fiberglass in the corner is actually cracked. This is causing the bottom part of the gen slide cap to be out of alignment with the driver side of the main cap.

As far as I can tell, the only way to repair this would be to have the whole front cap replaced or repaired. The damage is subtle enough that I think I'll probably just have to live with it. My wife and kids didn't even notice the damage until I pointed it out to them, so most likely it'll just be one of those things that will haunt me forever, but hopefully most people won't even notice. It will just serve as a constant reminder to me to always be extra careful!

Here's a picture of what it looks like now after the repair, and you can see the cap alignment issue I'm talking about.

brianw8602 04-26-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider93 (Post 2529730)
My wife and kids didn't even notice the damage until I pointed it out to them, so most likely it'll just be one of those things that will haunt me forever, but hopefully most people won't even notice. It will just serve as a constant reminder to me to always be extra careful!

Jeff, I agree with your assessment of it being something that only you see. Kinda like a bad haircut that no one else notices until you point it out. :D Sounds like you did an excellent repair to the generator access door. :thumb:

brobox 04-26-2015 03:06 PM

Jeff, I believe a good boat or Corvette glass man can fix the problem that I am seeing in the photo. I have a great one if you are coming to FL and he is mobile.

Finally 04-26-2015 03:30 PM

Glad you were able to fix the damage and continue the journey.

I was backing up my new enclosed car trailer and hit a fence. Didn't feel it. Put a small hole in door.

RedRaider93 04-26-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 2530088)
Jeff, I believe a good boat or Corvette glass man can fix the problem that I am seeing in the photo. I have a great one if you are coming to FL and he is mobile.

I don't think I'll be in Florida any time soon, but that's a good idea. Maybe I'll see if I can find a good guy here in the Houston area.

Knightab 04-26-2015 05:32 PM

Sometimes we get in a hurry and normally never pays off. Sorry about the damage hope you can fix it. It makes a great reminder of the rest of us

dusty56 04-26-2015 06:04 PM

Jeff, I am sure you noticed there are adjustment rods on the lower cap that may take up a lot of the misalignment you are dealing with. I wish I had before and after pictures but I had to adjust mine when I picked it up from delivery. Didn't look like yours but mine was a good inch out on one side, inch in other side and was tilted, but it can be adjusted.

There is considerable amount of pressure on the cap from the factory. When you hit the bottom you might of bent, moved (or cracked) the adjustment rods and the area that they connect.

try that first and see if you can bring it back to factory specs. looking at the picture you have on the thread I think it is fixable. Good luck.

brobox 04-26-2015 08:09 PM

Mike is correct, I totally forgot about the threaded alignment bars. I'll bet he is right about knocking one out of whack.

hogdriver 04-27-2015 05:14 AM

I would definitely not want that front cap removed to make repair. As Chuck and the others said I'd check into a boat or corvette shop and see if they could repair the cap in place with the adjusting rods or possibly a wood jig to hold the cap while the fiberglass sets up.

RedRaider93 04-27-2015 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty56 (Post 2530396)
Jeff, I am sure you noticed there are adjustment rods on the lower cap that may take up a lot of the misalignment you are dealing with.

I did notice the rods under there, but I didn't even realize they could be adjusted. I continue to learn more and more from all you guys here on the forum, and I can't thank you enough for that. I took it back to storage yesterday, but as soon as I get a chance this week I will go back out there and give it a try. If I'm able to make adjustments and fix the misalignment, you will have made me a very happy camper!!!

oakcreekeric 04-27-2015 10:09 AM

I love threads like this... There is nothing better than finding comfort in misery...

It almost feels like an AA meeting.. Hello, my name is Eric, and I'm an idiot.. I did "_____" to my RV because I disengaged my brain for a spit-second...

As with everything, this too shall pass... and as others have mentioned.. another "war" story for the campfire..

Good to see you have things back together..