iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   A girl with a dog... and a strange situation. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/a-girl-with-a-dog-and-a-strange-situation-244285.html)

b105 04-29-2015 08:59 PM

A girl with a dog... and a strange situation.

I am in my late 20's, and one of the few on my dad's side of the family to finish a college degree. At the family reunion last year, I ended up in a long talk with an elderly relative I hadn't seen in at least 15 years. Lots of patting my arm and "we're so proud of you". We wound up talking about my job (ICU nurse) and plans (travel nursing). I mentioned in passing that I have a big dog, so apartments would be tricky and I was thinking about a travel trailer. The subject changed, the reunion ended and I thought no more of it.

Until a few weeks ago, when I got a phone call out of the blue. The gentleman had passed away - and left me his travel trailer. His kids were perfectly okay with this, as they didn't want it.

So I am now the rather confused owner of a 26 foot 2003 Keystone Outback that I know nothing about. And I give fair warning - I am going to drive everyone insane, because I don't even know what I don't know.

JohnRR 04-29-2015 09:05 PM

:welcome:
Ask away there are a lot of people here willing to give advice and suggestions.

There are a few active threads at this time about other nurses doing what your thinking about.

Mr_D 04-29-2015 09:08 PM

Yep, as John says.
But you will get good and bad advice.

ArmandV 04-29-2015 09:09 PM

Amazing! Good luck with your new acquisition!

There's a lot of "how-to" videos on all aspects of trailers on YouTube. You may want to do a search on different topics such as "How to level your trailer," etc.

Blackhat6mike 04-29-2015 09:11 PM

First question, do you have a vehicle to pull it?
Some campgrounds don't allow dogs, so check first.
Can you find and afford to store it?
Are the batteries any good? And on and on and on...
Make sure the tires are not 2003 also! Most trailer tires only last 4 or 5 years.
How I wish I was in your shoes at that age and situation!!

huntnski 04-29-2015 09:23 PM

B105 let me make some suggestions. Go to the user CP on tool bar and add a signature line that includes what you want to be called, what year, make and model of TT or 5er . This helps clarify any questions you ask. Next, look around this forum, your in the new member area, but there are many areas that will help you much faster because those in that area also wear your shoes! Singles sections, TT sections, full timers sections, etc.

You don't have to give out Personel info. and you will be amazed at how helpful IRV2 members are! Welcome and good luck and congratulations on the degree!

vsheetz 04-29-2015 09:31 PM

Welcome! Folks here more than willing to help. A wealth of tribal knowledge.

marcham 04-29-2015 10:02 PM

Welcome and ask away! Our dog loves it in our TT (travel traiker). I'm sure you'll be able to find a coworker who owns a trailer who will be able to take you through the basics.

b105 04-30-2015 02:11 AM

Really, I am completely blown away. When I was talking plans, I meant 2 or 3 years later. I hadn't even STARTED to research yet when I'm informed that this guy I barely knew left me this thing. I can't believe he did that...!

It looks okay, I like the floorplan and I did manage to find a storage space for it on short notice. But I have no idea if anything even works. Going to have to find a place to do some inspections.

I am also going to have to figure out what questions I need to start with, then find the appropriate place to ask (I know the intro section is not it).

Sorry for the essays, I'm just a little overwhelmed right now... :blink:

Bumps 04-30-2015 02:31 AM

Sounds like you have been blessed with a great gift ... a gift that will keep on giving in many different kinds of ways! You're going to have fun with it -- just be patient in the learning curve. Welcome aboard! /ken

Knightab 04-30-2015 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b105 (Post 2535252)
Really, I am completely blown away. When I was talking plans, I meant 2 or 3 years later. I hadn't even STARTED to research yet when I'm informed that this guy I barely knew left me this thing. I can't believe he did that...!

It looks okay, I like the floorplan and I did manage to find a storage space for it on short notice. But I have no idea if anything even works. Going to have to find a place to do some inspections.

I am also going to have to figure out what questions I need to start with, then find the appropriate place to ask (I know the intro section is not it).

Sorry for the essays, I'm just a little overwhelmed right now... :blink:

It's a lot to take in, this person has very likely set you on way of the most interesting and fulfilling experiences of you future life. He most likely knew it also :)

There is so much you want to know and need to know but you have time so don't overwhelm yourself. One thing at a time. You know the size and make so gather what info about that unit that you can, I can guarantee someone here has the same unit and will help you out. Nice looking dog in your profile too!

T Gibson 04-30-2015 03:44 AM

Welcome aboard b105. +2 about adding a signature line to include make, model number, what your towing it with so others on here can provide good solid answers on your questions. There is also a Keystone forum that you should join that you will find "like" owners who will know all about your new to U TT, good and bad. Boy what a blessing and at your age. Now the adventure begins, hold on tight it's a great ride...

Knightab 04-30-2015 04:09 AM

B105, does this have the rear slide out? If you can find the exact model # on the unit that will help you a lot. If it is the rear slide it is probably the 26RS

Chiefbvfd 04-30-2015 04:56 AM

Welcome....:)