iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Cleaning the holding tank sensors (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/cleaning-the-holding-tank-sensors-24599.html)

Beetlebailey 06-26-2007 06:34 PM

Has anyone used the bottled cleaners to clean the sensors in the holding tank, and if so which ones work the best.

Beetlebailey 06-26-2007 06:34 PM

Has anyone used the bottled cleaners to clean the sensors in the holding tank, and if so which ones work the best.

450Donn 06-27-2007 10:16 AM

Do a search for the "geo" method. Basically it involves dumping in about 1/4 cup of original Dawn dish soap, filling with water and driving to your destination. Drain and you should be good to go. In the black tank they also suggest adding a bag of ice cubes.

carl1949 07-21-2007 03:18 AM

The GEO method works great! My sensors haven't worked for a couple of years. I completely filled out black tank with a hose right into the toilet, put in about a cup of fabric softener, about a cup of bleach, and about a 1/2 cup of detergent. Drove about 70 miles to a nearby campground where we sometimes stay. As soon as I arrived, I dumped the black tank and presto! The sensor was cleaned and works! I will use this method from now on! Try it!

E Z Livin 07-27-2007 07:44 AM

Bettle, never heard of what you are asking but I use a similar method like Don and Carl.
I also installed a wash out from Camping World for about $22. This has helped the most. When I am hooked to full hook up, I use my gray hose to this and wash the tank well. Since I insatalled this, 80% of the time my sensors work.
I do not use chemicals except lubricant about twice a year. I use Surf washing powder. It has a pleasant scent and cleans the tank well. I also add three or four water softner pellets as soft water cleans better and at Sam's a big bag was cheap.
I always try to add 3 or so gallons of water after dumping. This is also easier if you have the wash out as you can do this from the outside.
I understand ice and soap work but have not had to use ice in my last two years.

ThunderRock 07-29-2007 02:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Z Livin:
Bettle, never heard of what you are asking but I use a similar method like Don and Carl. I use Surf washing powder. It has a pleasant scent and cleans the tank well. I also add three or four water softner pellets as soft water cleans better and at Sam's a big bag was cheap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the GEO Method is all about..using soap, water softener & dumping full tanks. https://irv2.infopop.cc/images/sign0098.gif
Here' a link to it: GEO METHOD

ncason 08-10-2007 12:05 PM

Our black water tank sensors have not worked since the first year. I tried cleaning then with the bag of ice trick etc. Now we just gage the level by our usage. You can tell after a while by the number of days and the type of camping you are doing. The longest we have gone without dumping is 8 days, but we were careful to use the bathhouse during the day and the rig only at night.

Hemlox 09-12-2007 09:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
Do a search for the "geo" method. Basically it involves dumping in about 1/4 cup of original Dawn dish soap, filling with water and driving to your destination. Drain and you should be good to go. In the black tank they also suggest adding a bag of ice cubes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DO NOT use Dawn dish soap, it is too high sudsing, the GEO method calls for Laundry detergent. Use it, it does work. Adding a couple bags of ice to the toilet and then driving around a bit will help scrub the sides of the tank and clean the sensors.

madashby 09-26-2007 11:08 AM

Ok, I have a "dumb" question! Do you put the "geo" method mixture in both the gray & black tanks? Our sensors quit too and I want to try this on our next trip out. Thanks!

450Donn 09-27-2007 10:10 AM

YES, use it in everything except the fresh water tank.

Tom in Salem, MA 09-27-2007 12:23 PM

The ice cubes worked wonders for me (about 8 miles of driving did the trick), and the GEO method is the way to go for me.
I don't bother with soap in the gray tank, it gets enough already.

Rockwood1 10-02-2007 04:19 PM

I've had black tank sensor problems over the last two months. I used the Flush King method this past weekend and the sensor is working fine now. Good to know though that there's other methods out there!

Fred and Bonnie 10-03-2007 05:34 PM

This worked for me.

Gauge Cleaner

Fred