iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Diesel or Gas (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/diesel-or-gas-246763.html)

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 08:11 AM

Diesel or Gas
 
Hi. We would like to travel a lot and of course we cannot leave the animals(our kids) at home. I have been searching for quite some time now and researching a lot about motorhomes. Foretravel to me looks like a top notch coach. Someone told me a gas coach is ok if you stay on the east coast but if you go out west at all, you want to get a diesel. What is the big difference between the two?

marcham 05-19-2015 08:24 AM

Power (torque), purchase cost, maintenance costs and fuel consumption.

Steve Ownby 05-19-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tncountryboy (Post 2563188)
Hi. We would like to travel a lot and of course we cannot leave the animals(our kids) at home. I have been searching for quite some time now and researching a lot about motorhomes. Foretravel to me looks like a top notch coach. Someone told me a gas coach is ok if you stay on the east coast but if you go out west at all, you want to get a diesel. What is the big difference between the two?


Tncountryboy hanging out in MA. What's up with that?

You need to visit some RV dealers & shows. Get a few test drives under your belt.

The big comfort & drivability differences will be apparent when you drive them. The real difference is in the amount of weight you need to propel. If coaches under 36' and under 26,000 pounds fit your needs then a gas motorhome may be fine. If you really need 40' or more then your weight will get up above 30,000 pounds and you no longer have a choice. The diesels start at the 26k pounds level and go up to 50k pounds.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 08:36 AM

Steve Ownby...Thank you for those numbers. Looks like it will be a diesel then. My girls parents are here which is the only reason I stay here.

MSHappyCampers 05-19-2015 09:04 AM

You'll really appreciate that diesel when you're sitting there driving, listening to music, or carrying on a conversation with the DW, and IT'S SOOO QUIET! That noisy engine is 35 to 40 feet behind you! :thumb::D

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 2563266)
You'll really appreciate that diesel when you're sitting there driving, listening to music, or carrying on a conversation with the DW, and IT'S SOOO QUIET! That noisy engine is 35 to 40 feet behind you! :thumb::D

thank you...DW? I see I am going to have to learn all these abbreviations and letters...

RedRaider93 05-19-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tncountryboy (Post 2563284)
thank you...DW? I see I am going to have to learn all these abbreviations and letters...

LOL, yeah, I had to get used to the abbreviations on these forums too. My understanding is "DW" stands for "dear wife". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider93 (Post 2563298)
LOL, yeah, I had to get used to the abbreviations on these forums too. My understanding is "DW" stands for "dear wife". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a feeling it might have been wife but had a hard time with the D...ty anyone have a list of all these abbreviations?

ecurb74 05-19-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider93 (Post 2563298)
LOL, yeah, I had to get used to the abbreviations on these forums too. My understanding is "DW" stands for "dear wife". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.


Most of the times!

I'm sure DH has a whole different meaning from the DW's point of view. (LOL)

Skip426 05-19-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tncountryboy (Post 2563302)
I had a feeling it might have been wife but had a hard time with the D...ty anyone have a list of all these abbreviations?

:welcome:
I seem to remember a post here in the forums , with a list of the common acronyms and the usual meanings , I'll see if I can track it down , and link you to it. Took me a while to get on to them too.

BTW: ( By The Way) I sometimes say DW, means Dish Washer, but get a beating for that.:hide:


EDIT: Found it fast enough to get back to add to this post.


https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/acron...st-144413.html


post #14

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecurb74 (Post 2563315)
Most of the times!

I'm sure DH has a whole different meaning from the DW's point of view. (LOL)

I am a big fan of Foretravel...

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip426 (Post 2563318)
:welcome:
I seem to remember a post here in the forums , with a list of the common acronyms and the usual meanings , I'll see if I can track it down , and link you to it. Took me a while to get on to them too.

BTW: ( By The Way) I sometimes say DW, means Dish Washer, but get a beating for that.:hide:

I had better keep that meaning to myself...good one though...

ecurb74 05-19-2015 09:50 AM

Tncountryboy,

If you need to discuss a Foretravel feel welcomed to PM (Private Message) me. I'll be glad to answer what questions I can. Good luck in your search.

Bruce

tncountryboy 05-19-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecurb74 (Post 2563323)
Tncountryboy,

If you need to discuss a Foretravel feel welcomed to PM (Private Message) me. I'll be glad to answer what questions I can. Good luck in your search.

Bruce

not sure how to pm...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.