iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Solar POWER?!?!? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/solar-power-248266.html)

scottandanna 05-30-2015 06:23 AM

Solar POWER?!?!?

Found these on Amazon for $550-600.

Are they worth it? Will they get me "off the grid"?

Is it really that easy and that cheap?

My trailer is "Solar Ready".

Go Power! GP-RV-95 95-Watt Solar Kit with 30 Amp Digital Regulator

OLYLEN 05-30-2015 08:40 AM

Go Power is very expensive. What you are describing is a $200 solar system. Depending on your electric needs and the sun where you park you will need something in the 400 watt area and at least two good deep cycle batteries. Read a bit more in the Solar area below in this forum. Price wise you are not far off and with your smaller RV you could be off grid independent.

LEN

jacwjames 05-30-2015 08:57 AM

I agree with OLYLEN

I have 325 watt (3 panels) on my roof and it is marginal for keeping up my battery bank for boon docking. I have to very conservative on usage to make it last and hope for sunny days. I was watching the charge this last week and it looked like my peak amperage charge was ~15 amps. My system was on the coach when I bought it but I know there are better options but it works for me.

What does solar ready mean for your coach, do you have a heavy gauge wire run to the roof routed through a cabinet that can be used for the controller and then to the existing battery or near by compartment that can be used for batteries.

You need to know what your expected demand is and how you want to use the solar system to get the best system for the price that will work for you.

I would continue to research, go the IRV2 Boondocking forum, there are usually lots of good posts there.

wbwood 05-30-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottandanna (Post 2578950)
Found these on Amazon for $550-600.

Are they worth it? Will they get me "off the grid"?

Is it really that easy and that cheap?

My trailer is "Solar Ready".

Go Power! GP-RV-95 95-Watt Solar Kit with 30 Amp Digital Regulator

We bought a Renogy 100w suitcase with controller in it. Simple plug and play. Paid under $300 for it. It's portable and you can move it around to getting maximum sun.

SkiSmuggs 05-30-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbwood (Post 2579495)
We bought a Renogy 100w suitcase with controller in it. Simple plug and play. Paid under $300 for it. It's portable and you can move it around to getting maximum sun.

The 200w Renogy solar starter kit is a better buy and will serve you much better for under $500. I do have the suitcase for backup when parked in the shade.

scottandanna 05-30-2015 05:01 PM

My trailer runs on 110-30A. How much power would I need to run the A/C and fridge on solar only?

marcham 05-30-2015 05:24 PM

AC isn't really viable, unless you have a really big roof and are willing to spend beaucoup money. Running the 12v side of the propane fridge is no problem. It is possible to power a residential fridge if you can accommodate 400-600 Watts of solar panels and enough batteries.

scottandanna 05-30-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcham (Post 2579930)
AC isn't really viable, unless you have a really big roof and are willing to spend beaucoup money. Running the 12v side of the propane fridge is no problem. It is possible to power a residential fridge if you can accommodate 400-600 Watts of solar panels and enough batteries.

I was afraid of that. We have a 5550 generator, if needed, for A/C. If it ever comes to that.

But after finally getting the trailer in our possession today, I realize that it recharges off the jeep while it is hooked up and the jeep is running, so basically, the jeep is a big ole diesel generator!

SkiSmuggs 05-31-2015 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottandanna (Post 2580036)
I was afraid of that. We have a 5550 generator, if needed, for A/C. If it ever comes to that.

But after finally getting the trailer in our possession today, I realize that it recharges off the jeep while it is hooked up and the jeep is running, so basically, the jeep is a big ole diesel generator!

That is a very expensive charger and only provides a light charging. Solar on the roof provides charging from sunrise to sunset without burning fuel to do it.

jacwjames 05-31-2015 08:14 AM

Using your Jeep to charge the house battery would be expensive and take a long time.

Solar power is an option, you just need to decide how much power consumption you will have and plan accordingly.

The advantage that you have is that you will have minimal parasitic draw on your system. My Monaco draws amperage even when sitting with no major power consumption.

Suggest you do your research and proceed once you find the most economic solution. Depending on where you live and/or camp you may consider a small wind generator in combination to solar. If the profile on wind direction and speed is good wind may be viable.

jackfish 05-31-2015 11:38 AM

Read this and it will answer most of your questions.

RV Electrical

puttin 05-31-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackfish (Post 2581052)
Read this and it will answer most of your questions.

RV Electrical

Very informative site, thanks for the link!

scottandanna 05-31-2015 03:19 PM

Well, I have a 5550 generator. Too big to haul in the trailer, but for another $100 I can add a brake system to my hemi truck and haul the generator if we are going anywhere where there is no hookup.

Right now we are hooked up to a 110 20A house plug, and the A/C and fridge work, as well as the led lights. I would not attempt to run the microwave and A/C simultaneously, but at least we know we can keep cool pretty much wherever we go as long as we have access to a 110.

scottandanna 05-31-2015 03:20 PM

Well, I have a 5550 generator. Too big to haul in the trailer, but for another $100 I can add a brake system to my hemi truck and haul the generator if we are going anywhere where there is no hookup.

Right now we are hooked up to a 110 20A house plug, and the A/C and fridge work, as well as the led lights. I would not attempt to run the microwave and A/C simultaneously, but at least we know we can keep cool pretty much wherever we go as long as we have access to a 110.