iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   May be coming to the diesel family (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/may-be-coming-to-the-diesel-family-252713.html)

dcarver 06-30-2015 02:29 PM

May be coming to the diesel family
 
Found what I think are 2 sweet deals on different trucks.
Our trailer is a 37ft bunk house 3 slides and weights 10k loaded.
Tow currently with a 02 yukon xl 2500 8.1
1st truck: 2002 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 6spd 2wd quad cab LWB 170k, new lift pump and injector pump. 1 owner since 20k. Asking 13k
2nd truck: 2005 chevy 3500 4x4 DRW LWB, 170k new tires, 1 owner for 160k and 2nd owner for the last 10k until his wife had an accident. Asking 12k.

We are really leaning towards the dodge for the cummins and the MPGs where incredible considering we will be traveling about 10-15k the next 2yrs.

The dodge is a little cleaner but the chevy I figure wil be the better tow vehicle

Any opinions?

bamaboy473 06-30-2015 02:51 PM

DRW is safer for constant heavy towing, whether you get one of those or not.

tuffr2 06-30-2015 04:01 PM

I have only been following trucks since 2010 into the 2011 model year.

Not sure which frame is being used. I would try look at the frame and pick the one with the better one.

I would lean toward the dually if the frames look about equal.

Good luck

NFlcamper 06-30-2015 05:45 PM

I have a Dodge 2500, but the deal on the Chevy sounds better to me. Pre 2006 Dodge dashes tend to disintegrate and cave in. Motor and transmission are almost bullet proof. Driver seats wear out getting in and out and I just had mine fixed for $200. The Chevy has 4x4 and DRW and new tires for 1k less. New tires are $1200 easy, so that makes it $2200 cheaper and 3 years newer. Do you want to shift all the time? Really consider all your options, you know what is best for you. I have given my opinion for what it is worth.

dcarver 06-30-2015 06:05 PM

I appreciate the advice thus far.
I will look into the frame. Hopefully somewhere I can locate that info.
The dash on the dodge is cracked but it has the coolest cover I've seen. Wouldn't have known it was a cover unless he told me. It's like he laid a new dash on top of it perfectly.
The tires are a big deal, however I just realized my tires will fit off my yukon xl 2500.
Yes the chevy seats are worn but just the seat backs, the bottom is perfect somehow.
The shifting is in the back of my mind, however I can't get a history on if the Allison was ever serviced appropriately. The dodge just got a new South Bend clutch.
Oh when driving the chevy, it pulled HARD to the left when stopping and the ABS light came on and then went off. Suggestions on that?

Cummins12V98 07-01-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarver (Post 2627858)
Found what I think are 2 sweet deals on different trucks.
Our trailer is a 37ft bunk house 3 slides and weights 10k loaded.
Tow currently with a 02 yukon xl 2500 8.1
1st truck: 2002 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 6spd 2wd quad cab LWB 170k, new lift pump and injector pump. 1 owner since 20k. Asking 13k
2nd truck: 2005 chevy 3500 4x4 DRW LWB, 170k new tires, 1 owner for 160k and 2nd owner for the last 10k until his wife had an accident. Asking 12k.

We are really leaning towards the dodge for the cummins and the MPGs where incredible considering we will be traveling about 10-15k the next 2yrs.

The dodge is a little cleaner but the chevy I figure wil be the better tow vehicle

Any opinions?

Snap up that RAM! That truck is barely broken in. The 6sp is awesome in that year.

Cummins12V98 07-01-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarver (Post 2628145)
I appreciate the advice thus far.
I will look into the frame. Hopefully somewhere I can locate that info.
The dash on the dodge is cracked but it has the coolest cover I've seen. Wouldn't have known it was a cover unless he told me. It's like he laid a new dash on top of it perfectly.
The tires are a big deal, however I just realized my tires will fit off my yukon xl 2500.
Yes the chevy seats are worn but just the seat backs, the bottom is perfect somehow.
The shifting is in the back of my mind, however I can't get a history on if the Allison was ever serviced appropriately. The dodge just got a new South Bend clutch.
Oh when driving the chevy, it pulled HARD to the left when stopping and the ABS light came on and then went off. Suggestions on that?

Sounds like someone knew what they were doing with the RAM. SouthBend is the best!

pitcrew18 07-02-2015 07:10 PM

DRW is a must for long distance towing and Chevrolet makes a great truck. In my opinion this is a no brainer.

Cummins12V98 07-02-2015 08:03 PM

I agree about the DRW being a great platform but at 10K the Ram would be fine.

I think in 05 they had overheating issues with the D Max.

The RAM is a very dependable truck. look for the same Ram but DRW then you will have room to grow.

dcarver 07-02-2015 09:14 PM

Well I think I'm leaning more towards the dodge. Guy knows the history and he's done all the upgrades with quality components that I would do through my research. I just can't see paying a grand over retail and 4 grand over trade in value.
Also I was seeing 25mpg at 70mph. What could I potentially see towing the 10k TT?

chaps2018 07-02-2015 10:33 PM

My 06 ram 5.9L drw gets 10-12mpg 70mph towing 10k lb 35' trailer, even through mountains. Ram is my vote. Look up the buyers guide on turbo diesel register

Cummins12V98 07-03-2015 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarver (Post 2631398)
Well I think I'm leaning more towards the dodge. Guy knows the history and he's done all the upgrades with quality components that I would do through my research. I just can't see paying a grand over retail and 4 grand over trade in value.
Also I was seeing 25mpg at 70mph. What could I potentially see towing the 10k TT?

With my 98 RAM 2500 4X4 auto I towed a combined load of 20,500# and had a "hand calc" average of 10.5. That was West Coast towing. Low of 7.5 up to 13. You would do a bit better with thew 2wd and 6sp. The older RAM's are really going up in value.

dcarver 08-31-2015 11:08 PM

Well finally did it! Bought a 2000 f250 7.3. Has a 149k, 98gal aux fuel tank with digital read out, and an A.R.E utility camper shell. Pristine condition so I jumped on it for 9k. I'll post pics tomorrow.

tucsonrv 09-01-2015 07:44 AM

My dad has a 2000 7.3 with 215,000 miles on it. Only thing he has changed is the fuel pump last month! And, goi g down the road he runs used cooking oil from Sonic in it and has for years! Bulletproof...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.