iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   Would a camera drone help spot good boondocking spot? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/would-a-camera-drone-help-spot-good-boondocking-spot-256734.html)

okmunky 07-28-2015 07:47 PM

Would a camera drone help spot good boondocking spot?

As I watched a neighbor flying his camera drone it suddenly occurred to me that one might be useful for scouting out good spots to boondock in remote areas.

I start out by looking at Goggle satellite maps and then go scouting in the toad. That usually means lots of driving on forest roads and lots of U turns. I know drone range isn't that great, but getting up high should help increase it.

Anyone have experience with one?

frankdamp 07-28-2015 09:12 PM

A lot of boon-dockers I know would love to see how a drone will fly with a couple of barrels of 00 buckshot up its backside.

I suspect there's going to be a lot of negative reaction (and dead drones) if those things proliferate.

bokobird 07-28-2015 09:24 PM

Depending on how much one wants to invest in such a device, there are the GPS-based drones that can fly quite far, following a pre-programmed route. At 400 feet, fairly silent and the element of surprise, I don't think there'd be much opportunity for one to be taken down all that easily, especially if it's just following a route and passes over areas and not hovering around.

1bigmess 07-28-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankdamp (Post 2671176)
A lot of boon-dockers I know would love to see how a drone will fly with a couple of barrels of 00 buckshot up its backside.

I suspect there's going to be a lot of negative reaction (and dead drones) if those things proliferate.

And shooting down an aircraft that is described under 18 U.S.C. Section 32 Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities, shooting down a drone aircraft "shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

After all, once a couple of rounds of buckshot have been plugged forcefully into an aircraft, it pretty much has to come down, and that is riskier than the drone flying in the first place. My hope is that it would land on the head of the shooter with as great a force as it could exert from falling, but that would be pretty difficult to do, dontcha think?:D

Arch Hoagland 07-28-2015 11:07 PM

Firefighters Could Take Down Drones Under New Law - Breitbart

Interesting discussion.

dpinvidic 07-28-2015 11:47 PM

You only have about 5 or 6 minutes of flying time.
You would need a fairly expensive set-up, this would be FPV (first person View).
Because the drone would be too far away to control visually.
You would wear a 3D goggles and get a view from the pilots seat.
You probably want a on-screen gps readout so you know where the drone is looking. Seeing from the air, and then finding your way back in the RV could be tricky.

But do-able.

Look on you0tube for FPV copters

Dan

Murf2u 07-29-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland (Post 2671303)

I'd be interested to hear how the State of California thinks it can over-ride federal jurisdiction.

I was involved in a very similar type of court case up here some years back, the new 'law' became an old law in about 5 minutes before a judge.

GraySeal65 07-29-2015 05:55 AM

Without spending thouasnds they don't fly more than 10 minuets and the rang on a wifi one is only 150 feet. You can mod a wifi one to use a RC controler but the range is still only about 500 feet. I have one of these.Amazon.com : Parrot AR Drone Quadricopter, 2.0 Edition, Orange/Blue : Hobby Rc Helicopters : MP3 Players & Accessories
And put your gun away, I don't care what you are doing enough to creep on you.

Just a side note this is what I'm trying to get going near me.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR4Gq9qfpnM

DumOleBob 07-31-2015 08:09 AM

"Drone", oh shoot that sound like the antithesis of "boondocking"! Pls don't fly that "thing" over us!

elkski 08-01-2015 10:48 AM

First off the term drone. What does that mean. to me it is used to describe military air vehicles that are remotely operated by police or military. these small RC helicopters are just the latest toys. Surly none of us wants one to hurt anyone or spoil a quiet wilderness experience like someone running a gen set. You want to talk about noise laws? visually unpleasant laws? Odor laws? 14 day stay national forest or BLM limit abuse?

Now back to the RC copter toys.. I saw no less than 4 flying near a large public fireworks display and one stayed up the entire 30 mins? I am not into this sort of toy but this is the land of the free aint it?
Randy in Sandy, Utah

1bigmess 08-01-2015 01:01 PM

It is the land of the free, but when it comes to things that could drop from the sky, there does need to be a reasonable amount of safety regulations. Someone else's freedom should not too easily drop on my head.:D

okmunky 08-09-2015 09:48 PM

The inexpensive quadcopter camera drones I was looking at are very small, less than 12" square and will only fly for about 7 minutes at a time. My plan was to just go up above the tree line briefly and do a slow 360 degree turn so that I could see which direction to head out. These are low tech and don't allow for viewing and flying at the same time.

It's sad that experience has taught some of you to expect my plan was to disrupt other campers or violate anyone's privacy. My folks taught me better than that. :) I am just trying to find a way to explore the back country a tad bit faster. My toad isn't very good off road unless I drag it.

I've KOed the drone idea. Anyone have any good ideas?

Arch Hoagland 08-09-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okmunky (Post 2689745)
The inexpensive quadcopter camera drones I was looking at are very small, less than 12" square and will only fly for about 7 minutes at a time. My plan was to just go up above the tree line briefly and do a slow 360 degree turn so that I could see which direction to head out. These are low tech and don't allow for viewing and flying at the same time.

It's sad that experience has taught some of you to expect my plan was to disrupt other campers or violate anyone's privacy. My folks taught me better than that. :) I am just trying to find a way to explore the back country a tad bit faster. My toad isn't very good off road unless I drag it.

I've KOed the drone idea. Anyone have any good ideas?

I'd suggest Google Maps using the Satellite view.

It's amazing what you can see and it would be sufficient for what you want to see.

1bigmess 08-10-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okmunky (Post 2689745)
It's sad that experience has taught some of you to expect my plan was to disrupt other campers or violate anyone's privacy. My folks taught me better than that. :)

It's the internet. We don't know you or your family. Don't take it personally. :thumb: