iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Hwy 200 in Montana (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/hwy-200-in-montana-261153.html)

Jeff and Cheryl 08-29-2015 03:27 PM

Hwy 200 in Montana

We had plans to drive Hwy 2 from Columbia Falls east. With Hwy 2 closed due to wildfires, I am looking at Hwy 200. In particular, I need to know what to expect between Missoula and where it meets I-15 near Great Falls.
I am driving a 37 foot pusher and towing a Honda CRV. Does the road have a lot of curves? Are there shoulders? What kind of grades are there? 6% grades are no big deal unless there are sharp curves on the way down or at the bottom. Other things I should know? Thanks for the help.

coupevilleDF 08-29-2015 03:52 PM

Based on my view of Google Map, you would only be on 200 for a short distance. It looks like you drop directly south through Kalispell on 93. I haven't traveled that route. I have done 200 from i-90 to Idaho. It's a good road.

From Missoula, take I-90 east to 12 towards Helena and meet I-15 there. We did 12 westbound last fall with a 35' plus toad and had no problems. As I recall, there was a couple of steep grades but you're going through mountains whichever way you go.

Too bad you can't stay on US 2. it's a beautiful drive and much shorter,

Chuck47 08-29-2015 05:05 PM

not a white knuckle road

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl (Post 2720604)
We had plans to drive Hwy 2 from Columbia Falls east. With Hwy 2 closed due to wildfires, I am looking at Hwy 200. In particular, I need to know what to expect between Missoula and where it meets I-15 near Great Falls.
I am driving a 37 foot pusher and towing a Honda CRV. Does the road have a lot of curves? Are there shoulders? What kind of grades are there? 6% grades are no big deal unless there are sharp curves on the way down or at the bottom. Other things I should know? Thanks for the help.

We have a 37ft pusher with a tow car. We've done that road at least twice in the past few years. While I can't remember every curve and downgrade (there are some of each) I don't think you'll find this road to be a problem at all. In fact I remember asking the same question on some forum or other before the first time we did it and was told the same thing.

FleetMan 08-29-2015 08:00 PM

I agree with Chuck47. You should have no problems. We drove that route westbound several years ago. Good two lane road, yes it has curves and grades but nothing abnormal.

twogypsies 08-29-2015 09:00 PM

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended by the way), it states for westbound there is only about 1 mile of about 6% descent from Rogers Pass (elevation 5610') and then 5% and less for about 2 miles. The road continues to roll up and down west of there.

Eastbound descent: a steady 6% for about 3 miles with 25 mph curves near the top. The grade eases to about 5% and then begins to roll up and down. This continues for many miles with some 5-7% hills but they are short in length.

According to the above, we would confidently take it. It's not a biggie.

Jeff and Cheryl 08-29-2015 09:01 PM

FleetMan, Chuck47, twogypsies,
Thank-you, just what I was looking for.

JFNM 08-29-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl (Post 2720604)

I've been all over that area this summer but not that entire route. I can tell you that highway 12, 141, 200, and 279 are all in good shape and I have had no issues. There are 45 and 55 mph corners but they are well marked. The lesser roads (141, 279) don't have much of a shoulder. 200 has a good shoulder in most places. There are quite a few pull off areas and lots of fishing access points.