iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Not stuck in Death Valley -- Blown engine! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/not-stuck-in-death-valley-blown-engine-26120.html)

rgrstndgby 11-20-2007 12:59 PM

Driver said... Argosy, I believe the "RGR" responded adequately in this matter and that between the both of us he's probably forgotten more than we might ever learn.[/QUOTE]

Well, my wife thinks I've forgotten more than I ever knew...rgr... https://irv2.infopop.cc/images/aeh.gif

Argosy 11-20-2007 07:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">be informed or listen to the people who are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No Argosy, no "jesting", however it appears that you are taking this conversation as a personal criticism.. Not so, my post was only to illustrate what a variety of situations one might incur. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I have read so far I'm not even close to taking this personally. I believe forums such as this should be a free exchange of accurate information. My intent was not to tell you to listen to me, reread the complete sentence:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And any owner who agrees/insists on such a rebuild deserves to learn an expensive lesson; be informed or listen to the people who are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My intent was towards the owner, he needs to be informed when making repair decisions.

I continue to stress a reputable shop when I make my posts. To bring hack repairs such as you referenced is not reputable work and should not be considered, I will definitely give you that. But it doesn't help to continually muddy the waters with these worst case scenarios, think reputable, warranted (of the complete engine) rebuild.

A properly rebuilt engine is no more apt to fail than a new engine. Six months from now if the owner of an older motor home finds this thread while looking for information about a replacement engine I believe he deserves to know there are acceptable options other than a new long block, or replacing the block and crank because a main spun. That is not normal practice in the industry and unnecessarily makes repair costs prohibitive on older units. And again, don't forums really exist to exchange accurate information?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argosy:
.. be informed or listen to the people who are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Argosy, I believe the "RGR" responded adequately in this matter and that between the both of us he's probably forgotten more than we might ever learn. https://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo.../icon_wink.gif

I know RGR is not idly responding and I value his opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't question RGR's experience. But I also do not post on subjects I do not know. While his opinion might be good, it is not the only acceptable repair. You can "what if" any repair into a nightmare. If he would read in my posts where I continually stress "reputable" all this would not have been necessary.

DriVer 11-20-2007 07:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argosy: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Good! https://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif Let's move on ..... have a nice holiday Argosy.

Steady Eddie 11-25-2007 07:50 AM

Good Morning---

You guys all missed it...the lifeblood of any BB Chevy is it's
oil pressure..it was mentioned that he only carried 40 PSI of
oil pressure BEFORE it grenaded...I carry 75 PSI going down the road
and 45 PSI at hot idle...*IF* he was "on the grade"--towing heavy--
his knock sensor circuit should have saved the motor. Just finished
a 3000 mile round trip with our Newmar 3357, towing a 4K# Jeep, over
the So. Oregon Mtns. and over the Pass out of Bakersfield, Ca. with
no overheating and no loss of oil pressure, both ways from Phoenix, Az.

edgray 11-25-2007 08:21 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the lifeblood of any BB Chevy is it's
oil pressure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
SE: yes, your statement is correct, however the highway speed OP in the 8.1 L motor is more likely to be 40-45 psi and only around 15-20 psi at hot idle. ED

Steady Eddie 11-25-2007 12:28 PM

Ed--
15 to 20 PSi at hot idle and I'd be scared to death..anybody know what weight syn oil was put in it?? What oil pressure did it carry before the syn oil was added??

As an aside here: I have owned three BB Chevys
and they all had lots of oil pressure, maybe the
8.1 is different somehow..?

TandW 11-25-2007 01:32 PM

My guage responds as Ed suggests with full synthetic. Anyone driving beyond the torque range is wasting everything to get there 5 seconds earlier!!

Steady Eddie 11-25-2007 02:41 PM

As posted by T&W:
"...My guage responds as Ed suggests with full synthetic..."
==========================
What Weight Syn Oil???

depchief 11-25-2007 04:24 PM

My 8.1 GM BB runs operating oil pressure in the 40 to 45 PSI range. This pressure is the same using 5/30 full synthetic and was the same when using 5/30 regular oil. Each oil type was Castrol. The hot idle will be 15 to 20 and the highest I have seen was 54 PSI when the engine was started in 30 degree temperatures.
The 5.3L engine in my Suburban and pick up will run higher oil pressure reaching the mid 70's when running at highway speeds, idle will be in the 40 range.

I originally was confused with the pressure differences, but have talked with other 8.1 users and they all report the same pressures.

NeilV 11-26-2007 01:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by depchief:
My 8.1 GM BB runs operating oil pressure in the 40 to 45 PSI range. This pressure is the same using 5/30 full synthetic and was the same when using 5/30 regular oil. Each oil type was Castrol. The hot idle will be 15 to 20 and the highest I have seen was 54 PSI when the engine was started in 30 degree temperatures.
The 5.3L engine in my Suburban and pick up will run higher oil pressure reaching the mid 70's when running at highway speeds, idle will be in the 40 range.

I originally was confused with the pressure differences, but have talked with other 8.1 users and they all report the same pressures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oil pressure over 45 to 50 lbs can actually harm an engine and start cutting up the bearings and blowing the front and rear main bearing seals. When installing high volume oil pumps in turbo charged engines we would usually have to put tri-metal bearings all around and use specially machined front and rear main bearings that had channels to divert the oil flow away from the seals and back toward the sump so we would not blow them out.

When I would buy the pumps the jobbers would warn me about the dangers of high oil pressures I would let him know that the pump specified was high volume and not high pressure. We would then make sure that we actually got the pump and bearing package that we ordered before leaving the shop.

Steady Eddie 11-26-2007 05:38 AM

I found help at the Workhorse.com site.
Technical FAQ #W000678-041306
Under the heading of "Oil Pressure" it explains
the concept of high volume-low pressure oiling
systems and it speaks of MINIMUM oil pressures,
NOT maximums. Using the example of 5W-30 wt. oil, it says that GM says that a hot idle pressure of between 2 and 10 PSI is OK.

If I were buying a used RV that only carried
that low of pressure at hot idle, I'd pass on
buying the Coach. Let alone a NEW Coach...

Mine must have the wrong oil pump in it.

74 PSI on mine at 3000 RPMs in high gear and
an indicated 40+ at hot idle. Maybe the MD 7400
L21 Vortecs are different?

edgray 11-26-2007 07:03 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mine must have the wrong oil pump in it.

74 PSI on mine at 3000 RPMs in high gear and
an indicated 40+ at hot idle. Maybe the MD 7400
L21 Vortecs are different? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SE: I'm not qualified to speak to your issues stated above. However, the purpose of my post was to assure other 8.1 L owners that they should not worry about their motors,as your post implied, simply because yours is "different". ED

Steady Eddie 11-26-2007 07:45 AM

From FreshAir's post:
"... and they do them, 8.1 MH, often.
Well, that worried me as there were old 8.1's on pallets all over the place. I asked the service manager what were they going to do with the old engines and he said just use them for salvage as Work Horse doesn't want any of them back. I thought, "Oh Man!" wish I hadn't seen this 8.1 salvage yard. Is this signs of things to come?.."
===========================
Ed--
This post was what got me..I knew nothing of
HVLP oiling systems, other than I knew we weren't talking of paint sprayers...I wondered
why the WH Service Shop would have dead 8.1s
laying all over the Yard, on pallets.

Then, still not being aware (ignorant) of the
(IMHO) OE low oil pressure, I thought maybe the
watery 5-30 Syn oil was too thin for good oiling?

I now believe that it is.

Photog 11-26-2007 09:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steady Eddie:

Then, still not being aware (ignorant) of the
(IMHO) OE low oil pressure, I thought maybe the
watery 5-30 Syn oil was too thin for good oiling?

I now believe that it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't noted syn 5w30 to be any more or less watery than the old dyno 5w30 version.