iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   New member and yet to have bought an RV (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/new-member-and-yet-to-have-bought-an-rv-262323.html)

super7pilot 09-07-2015 04:46 PM

New member and yet to have bought an RV

Hello all.
Just signed up to aid my research in buying a used class A MH. Then of course to post up any new adventures we may have after buying one.

I'm a 57 year old retired Air Force enlisted man. Owned a small trucking company for a few years as well, So have a lot of driving experience with an over sized vehicle.

My hobbies are rather eclectic and include Photography, Astronomy, flying stunt kites, And as my user name eludes to. I have a Caterham super 7 sports car.

The intent (once the wife retires in 18 months) is to rent out our home then jump into the fire and go "full time" for at least a few years.

Skip426 09-07-2015 06:50 PM

:welcome:

As you search for your RV , remember the rule ; DW has the choice of floor plan ,and colors, your choice will be limited to engine type or tow vehicle.:D

beamisl 09-07-2015 07:28 PM

super7pilot,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

You have come to the right place to learn before you buy. Good choice! We also did this a year ago even though I have not yet retired.

Some of the advice I received was to go to RV shows and walk through RVs and a lot of them.. Go to a dealership and do the same. Find what you absolutely have to have and what you would want but that are not deal breakers.

Then look, look, and look. PPL Motorhomes in Texas is a good place to look and to get ideas of prices. RVtrader.com the same thing. DO NOT DO NOT buy a MH or RV with a leaky roof. Just run away.

It takes a while to find what you are looking for. Floor plan seems to be the most important. Diesel or gas, your choice. How many slides? Can you do repairs or will you need to have all of them done? Storage space is important. Can you get into the shower, see the TV from where you BOTH want to sit, and is there enough room for both of you if you had to stay inside (due to rain) for a few days.

This is a fun hobby and can be expensive but the fun outweighs the price in my opinion. You are going to have fun, so take your time and look and then get your rig. Good luck, Lynne

elkski 09-07-2015 07:34 PM

I think saying the wife gets to pick floor plan is a bit sexist. I Guess your granddaughters wont becoming a doctor or astronaut? How about renting an RV for a week trip first along with the RV shows?

Bruce C 09-08-2015 03:11 AM

MSHappyCampers 09-08-2015 09:19 AM

Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

denlock 09-08-2015 04:11 PM

hal1phx 09-09-2015 02:26 PM

LynnD 09-10-2015 07:15 PM