iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Front legs extended this far safe? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/front-legs-extended-this-far-safe-267907.html)

unitlink 10-23-2015 08:57 PM

Front legs extended this far safe?

1 Attachment(s)
We brought home our first 5th wheel today, yay!

Our driveway has a bit of an angle to it and I was wondering if the legs extended this far is safe? It sure makes me a bit nervous. I used auto level currently as it is sitting. Should I retract the rear legs and drop the front a bit?

FYI there are 15 holes showing on the legs

glarnold 10-23-2015 09:00 PM

If I had to have front legs extended that far, I would want a hitch stabilizer under the hitch pin. Just my opinion.

jacknife 10-23-2015 09:02 PM

The front legs wwill support 14000 centers and rears 8000. Got the info from a seminae by lippert at a rally.

chboone 10-23-2015 09:22 PM

I would retract the rear jacks, level with the front and use rear jacks just to stabilize Need to have good heavy duty wheel chocks on both sides, not the cheap ones they sell at Walmart. Don't see any on right side front or rear axles.

unitlink 10-23-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacknife (Post 2796546)
The front legs wwill support 14000 centers and rears 8000. Got the info from a seminae by lippert at a rally.

I figured weight wise they were technically fine, just not sure how far extended they can/should be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chboone (Post 2796565)
I would retract the rear jacks, level with the front and use rear jacks just to stabilize Need to have good heavy duty wheel chocks on both sides, not the cheap ones they sell at Walmart. Don't see any on right side front or rear axles.

I will probably do that tomorrow morning if we don't end up taking it to storage first. Though I can't drop it too much. My neighbor did say it will be fine, he has had 5th wheels for a very long time.

Yeah currently I have 2 cheap wheel chocks on the front/rear axle on the drivers side. I ordered a pair of heavy duty chocks however.

Gordon Dewald 10-23-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chboone (Post 2796565)

Me neither. I would have every wheel blocked.

Prior to unhooking I block the wheels and then put the truck in neutral to let the unit move ahead and settle in to the blocks. Then I lower the landing gear and unhook.

Dogpatch 10-24-2015 09:26 AM

Front legs extended this far safe?

You are probably fine as long as no one enters the 5er. It's going to be pretty unstable extended to that length.

I would hook up, retract and then block the front jacks with some broad timber as high as you can before dropping the front inner legs to within their first few holes . This will at least double up your front leg sleeves and not be as fully extended.
I'm not sure if your auto level system allows you to manually actuate front and rear jacks separately, but if it can, I would do as mentioned previously to lower the fronts(blocked up) to level and then rears to stabilize.

Dogpatch 10-24-2015 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are like what I use including wedge wheel chocks.

Attachment 110284

unitlink 10-24-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogpatch (Post 2796991)
These are like what I use including wedge wheel chocks.

I have a pair of these already, I will be throwing them on this morning. We will just be loading up a few things in the trailer and taking it to storage.

I'm also going to find 2 big wood blocks just for the house so I don't have to extend as far.
I do not know if I can just auto level the front Jacks.

Do the holes on both legs need to match or can 1 be lower then the other?

Dogpatch 10-24-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitlink (Post 2797007)
I have a pair of these already, I will be throwing them on this morning. We will just be loading up a few things in the trailer and taking it to storage.

I'm also going to find 2 big wood blocks just for the house so I don't have to extend as far.
I do not know if I can just auto level the front Jacks.

Do the holes on both legs need to match or can 1 be lower then the other?

I carry 4 pieces of 8"x10" blocks in my truck as well as a few 2"x6" and 1"x4". I don't have auto level.

With auto level, I don't think it matters, but if one leg drops a hole or two more than the other, this is telling you your 5er is not level side to side or that the spot your Jack sits is a low spot.

First thing I do before doing anything is throw a 2' level on the floor laterally just inside the door to see how my 5er sits side to side. Then I'll put appropriate size lumber under the wheels of the low side to level. I don't want to twist my frame. That's just me. Then I'll block my jacks to be the same height drop on deploy. The extending portion can be a hole or two different at that point as long as the distance to block from the Jack base plate is relatively the same on each side.
Again, mine are just electric front and electric rear stabilizer jacks so it may be different with auto level.

Hope that helps.

RichR 10-24-2015 11:13 AM

The last three trailers I have had were extended like that, never had a problem.

unitlink 10-24-2015 03:50 PM

So from what I'm gathering, the legs aren't just going to fail and the RV come crashing down correct?
Being our first 5th wheel it just made us nervous.

Also were can I get more information on auto leveling? I want to see if both legs need to be in the same hole, whether it is better to extend the main leg vs dropping the inside leg out.

Though with an Andersen hitch I have to raise it more due to the block.

jesilvas 10-24-2015 04:24 PM

No problem, got lots of units stored and USED that way. I would make the drop leg and main leg the same extended difference, though.

Dogpatch 10-24-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitlink (Post 2797412)
So from what I'm gathering, the legs aren't just going to fail and the RV come crashing down correct?
Being our first 5th wheel it just made us nervous.

Also were can I get more information on auto leveling? I want to see if both legs need to be in the same hole, whether it is better to extend the main leg vs dropping the inside leg out.

Though with an Andersen hitch I have to raise it more due to the block.

You might be overthinking this. If you read my post again, you want to make the RV level side to side. That way you know you won't be racking (twisting) the frame by having the legs in different lengths. You will still want to make sure that you have the same distance to the ground on either left or right jacks, front or back. This may mean having the left or right front inner legs are at different heights depending on the ground or block you will be jacking off of.
I suspect you have stabilizer arms on the rear. Same thing here, make sure the distance from the bottom of the Jack plate is the same to ground or blocking. This way they will Jack level side to side once you have leveled your axle wheels in the initial setup.

So...this is what I do:

Step 1 - Level the RV side to side before unhitching by blocking under the tires as needed.

Step 2 - Chock your wheels.

Step 3 - Check your distance to ground at the front and adjust by blocking or dropping your inner legs as needed so they are the same distance to ground or blocking if used.

Step 4 - Raise your front jacks as needed to unhitch.

Step 5 - Unhitch and then level your RV front to back.

Step 6 - Check the distance to ground on your rear stabilizer Jacks, adjust with blocking as required so they are the same distance to ground or blocking if used.

Step 7 - Drop your rear stabilizer jacks.

Step 8 - Grab a beer, pat yourself on the back! You've just set up your RV!