iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/)
-   -   Sprinter Mercedes Trouble Survey pls contribute (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/sprinter-mercedes-trouble-survey-pls-contribute-271262.html)

S Bradley 11-23-2015 07:26 PM

Sprinter Mercedes Trouble Survey pls contribute
 
2011 - 2015 Sprinter / Mercedes 3500/2500 trouble survey

I am interested in tabulating the Newer Sprinter 3500/2500 problems in one place:

Engine troubles - EGR
Transmission - torque converter, EGR, leaks, low fluid
Fuel System - fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injection
Electronics - ignition, charging, Wiring
Bluetech emissions - sensors, heater

Please identify model and year 2500/3500

I would like to differentiate between how it is used because of the weight differences between vehicles. Additional stresses on transmission (more frequent shifting, higher operating temps).
3500 Cutaways typically used on B+ or C class.
3500 B class
2500 B class
3500 A class

I had a 2012 Pleasureway on a 2011 3500 chassis that used Blue Tec. That was my reasoning for including 2011.

Anything you can add will be appreciated.

Thank you

neschultz 11-24-2015 10:23 AM

No troubles at all with our coach or chassis (we have ~14,000 miles on it and towed for about 2000 of them). The chassis is a 2013 3500 with a Class A coach

khocke 11-24-2015 02:13 PM

2014 Class C 3500 Cutaway (Sunseeker MBS 2400R), 12000 miles: no issues, no complaints

jackfish 11-24-2015 05:46 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 see signature.

No problems in over 31,000 miles pulling a 3500 lbs. toad. Frequent mountain passes requiring pulling at 4,000 rpm.

Deny 11-25-2015 05:53 PM

2014 Winnebago View, 2013 Chassis-3500-bought with 25 miles (in Iowa) sold it after 26 months with 36K miles- It was our plan to buy new, keep for 2 years, and sell-so we could do some cruising.

3 issues - 1 DEF Light came on & the fix was reprogramming the computer, it happened around 10K miles-never happened again
2-Left rear wheel sensor went bad around 28K miles-replaced-no more trouble,
3-Right Rear wheel sensor went bad at 36K miles-replaced & sold the Unit.

I rotated the Tires 3 times, had an alignment done at about 20K miles, bought one new Tire-put the new tire & New Spare on the front at about 27K miles.

Changed my own Oil, replaced my own Fuel Filter. Replaced both Headlight elements($8 each) , after about 15 months, both burned out.

Nice Vehicle, good service, great Ride.

Stevec4 11-25-2015 06:37 PM

2013 3500 Winnebago View
16000 miles no issues

eestork 11-26-2015 07:09 AM

sprinter B+ problems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by S Bradley (Post 2836951)
2011 - 2015 Sprinter / Mercedes 3500/2500 trouble survey

I am interested in tabulating the Newer Sprinter 3500/2500 problems in one place:

Engine troubles - EGR
Transmission - torque converter, EGR, leaks, low fluid
Fuel System - fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injection
Electronics - ignition, charging, Wiring
Bluetech emissions - sensors, heater

Please identify model and year 2500/3500

I would like to differentiate between how it is used because of the weight differences between vehicles. Additional stresses on transmission (more frequent shifting, higher operating temps).
3500 Cutaways typically used on B+ or C class.
3500 B class
2500 B class
3500 A class

I had a 2012 Pleasureway on a 2011 3500 chassis that used Blue Tec. That was my reasoning for including 2011.

Anything you can add will be appreciated.

Thank you

2013chassis, 2014 thor citation coach with slide out/curved dinette class b+:
rear end-dually replaced at 2500 miles, skylight entirely replaced, refrigerator electronics replaced all in first year. nothing so far in second year at 14,000 miles.:blush:

S Bradley 11-26-2015 01:48 PM

Plz clarify/expand on the problem with rear-end Dually problem? Where you towing?
Differential?
Leaking?
gears?
Clutches?
Bearings?

S Bradley 11-26-2015 01:52 PM

What were the symptoms of the sensor failure?
What error displayed if any?
Is it something you could have diagnosed/replaced?

mike in tx 11-26-2015 07:11 PM

I have a 2015 Navion IQ 24G, and for the first 6,000 miles, no major problems. Then we blew a high pressure propane line while driving down the highway (quite spooky). My wife was driving at the time, and we pulled over, got the propane shut off and continued the trip without propane. Got it and another propane line replaced under warranty. At about 7,000 miles, I started having sudden engine stoppage at around 1,000 rpm (slow speeds and idle). It's quite unnerving to have this happen in a busy intersection when attempting a turn, etc.
I drove it back from a trip like this as we were no where near a Sprinter Service Center. I took it in as soon as we got back, and they worked on it, and declared it fixed. On they way home, it happened again (1.5 hr drive). Mercedes towed it in that time, deciding it was unsafe to drive, worked on it again, and declared it fixed. We took it on a 500 mile trip and all was well, then took another short trip and it quit 6 times in 1 hr. I made it to my destination, mainly because of an very important event I was participating in that weekend, and Mercedes had it towed again the next Monday. It's still there, and they are still trying to find the problem. It has 12,500 miles at this time. The Sprinter mechanics and I are both puzzled and exasperated. I cannot find another case of this sudden engine stoppage anywhere else in the world with a Sprinter. I do not fault the dealership working on it at all, they are very diligent, but there are no codes on the scanner or any other clues. This is my second Sprinter rv, and we really love them, but this one is obviously a lemon.

Deny 11-27-2015 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deny (Post 2839180)
2014 Winnebago View, 2013 Chassis-3500-bought with 25 miles (in Iowa) sold it after 26 months with 36K miles- It was our plan to buy new, keep for 2 years, and sell-so we could do some cruising.

3 issues - 1 DEF Light came on & the fix was reprogramming the computer, it happened around 10K miles-never happened again
2-Left rear wheel sensor went bad around 28K miles-replaced-no more trouble,
3-Right Rear wheel sensor went bad at 36K miles-replaced & sold the Unit.

I rotated the Tires 3 times, had an alignment done at about 20K miles, bought one new Tire-put the new tire & New Spare on the front at about 27K miles.

Changed my own Oil, replaced my own Fuel Filter. Replaced both Headlight elements($8 each) , after about 15 months, both burned out.

Nice Vehicle, good service, great Ride.

Regarding Symptons concerning the Wheel Sensor replacement:
ABS<ASR<ESP Lights all came on,and the Cruise Control would not Work

Sympton concerning the DEF light & the reprogramming of the computer: The DEF light came on, on the dash, the light would not go out, & according to the owner's manual, the vehicle would go into "Limp Mode" after 11 starts if the DEF Light is not extinguished.

S Bradley 11-27-2015 09:18 AM

Did you fill the DEF tank and run it for a couple of starts. I ask this because other sites suggest it may take cycling thru two or three starts before the error clears.

lindenengine 11-28-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike in tx (Post 2840362)
I have a 2015 Navion IQ 24G, and for the first 6,000 miles, no major problems. Then we blew a high pressure propane line while driving down the highway (quite spooky). My wife was driving at the time, and we pulled over, got the propane shut off and continued the trip without propane. Got it and another propane line replaced under warranty. At about 7,000 miles, I started having sudden engine stoppage at around 1,000 rpm (slow speeds and idle). It's quite unnerving to have this happen in a busy intersection when attempting a turn, etc.
I drove it back from a trip like this as we were no where near a Sprinter Service Center. I took it in as soon as we got back, and they worked on it, and declared it fixed. On they way home, it happened again (1.5 hr drive). Mercedes towed it in that time, deciding it was unsafe to drive, worked on it again, and declared it fixed. We took it on a 500 mile trip and all was well, then took another short trip and it quit 6 times in 1 hr. I made it to my destination, mainly because of an very important event I was participating in that weekend, and Mercedes had it towed again the next Monday. It's still there, and they are still trying to find the problem. It has 12,500 miles at this time. The Sprinter mechanics and I are both puzzled and exasperated. I cannot find another case of this sudden engine stoppage anywhere else in the world with a Sprinter. I do not fault the dealership working on it at all, they are very diligent, but there are no codes on the scanner or any other clues. This is my second Sprinter rv, and we really love them, but this one is obviously a lemon.

Here is a few words of caution and it concerns water and particles of rust in fuel.
A sudden out can have many causes but one is particular is to do with the pressure transition of the fuel rails and the interaction of the fuel quantity valve controlling the high pressure fuel delivery to the injectors . Naturally fuel delivery rates & pressure pump /filter flow are also connected to this symptom I am referring to.

In most case if water /rust is detected by MB, even if the vehicle is still covered by warranty, they will reject it!

Repair bills can reach $12,000 to 14,000 to put right (yes this is no typo)

When filling up with fuel try to use fuel stations that have high fuel turnover like truck stops.
Fuel that dwells in storage tanks may have stagnant contaminated fuel where diesel fuel sales are low compared to gasoline. This is one risk that you don't need. You can innocently cause a great deal of expensive damage to your Sprinter by fueling it with suspect fuel.
Beware
Dennis

Deny 11-28-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S Bradley (Post 2840839)
Did you fill the DEF tank and run it for a couple of starts. I ask this because other sites suggest it may take cycling thru two or three starts before the error clears.

Yes, I did all that-to no avail-

Do not let the light come on because of low DEF level. Then you do not have to worry about it not going out.

Just Fill the tank after every trip-and- if you are on a long run- fill it about every 4th tank. Keep a little DEF with you as you travel


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.