iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Cummins Engines (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   ISC coolant filter wrench (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-coolant-filter-wrench-271826.html)

KEH 11-29-2015 10:37 PM

ISC coolant filter wrench

It's a long tight reach up to the coolant filter and I don't have a wrench for the job. Suggestions welcome on what to buy please. Thanks!

Mr_D 11-29-2015 10:41 PM

I have a metal strap wrench that uses a " drive. I use a couple extensions on a ratchet to reach up. It's also easier if you have the oil filter off but still doable with it in place. Got the filter wrench at NAPA and it was something over $35. In fact I have three different ones now. I bought them to work on the ISC in the Dutch Star, not sure if they'll work on the ISX. Guess I'll have to find out when spring gets here.

Gary RVRoamer 11-30-2015 07:33 AM

Strap wrench attachment for a socket wrench plus a long extension.

My ISL has the same access problem, for both oil filter and coolant "filter" (it's actually a slow-release chemical pack).

hypoxia 11-30-2015 08:04 AM

Strap wrench, I don't remember which one I used. This is the strap wrench I use for the oil filter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

palehorse89 11-30-2015 08:15 AM

I use a oil filter wrench w/flex handle, I had a hard time trying to use both hands up in there getting the strap wrench tight enough to grip the filter. FYI...... even though you close the little valve on the filter mount, there is still going to be some coolant that comes out when the filter seal is broken, and guess where it goes:confused: yep, right down your arm:eek:
I took a rag big enough that it wraps your wrist a couple of times and secure it by tucking the end in. Have the new filter ready to install beside you, as there will still be some dripping of coolant.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Md3...=0&w=300&h=300

rag_ftw 12-01-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEH (Post 2843745)
It's a long tight reach up to the coolant filter and I don't have a wrench for the job. Suggestions welcome on what to buy please. Thanks!

IF all else fails this WILL remove your filter and not break the fitting. I tried every strap wrench known to man with no luck. This is messy but it works!
TALON Oil Filter Tool (Up to 1500 in lbs) – Bogert Aviation

Dr4Film 12-01-2015 10:39 AM

I use the "Speedco" wrench for all of my filters, 2 fuel, one oil and one coolant. :thumb:

Works like a charm each time I have them do the service. Plus it's only a little over $200 for thier medium duty service which is what is needed for my Cummins ISC 350.

I have yet to skin a knuckle or get my hands dirty. :whistling:

Dr4Film ----- Richard

dons2346 12-01-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr4Film (Post 2845694)
I use the "Speedco" wrench for all of my filters, 2 fuel, one oil and one coolant. :thumb:

Works like a charm each time I have them do the service. Plus it's only a little over $200 for thier medium duty service which is what is needed for my Cummins ISC 350.

I have yet to skin a knuckle or get my hands dirty. :whistling:

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Same here, works like a charm and only 45 minutes from start to finish.

Gary RVRoamer 12-04-2015 12:35 PM

The handle-type wrench in palehorse's post won't fit in mine. No room for the handle to extend to the side so it cannot be slipped onto the filter casing.

There are filter wrenches designed to slip over the end of a filter like a watch cap and be driven from the bottom with a socket wrench. The end cap type has to be a specific size and I have two different filters I need to access that way, so I use a commercial grade strap type, with socket drive, instead.

hillboy 12-05-2015 04:33 PM

The first time I tried to remove this fliter I collapsed it. Thin walls and I doubt the last owner ever had it off. Had to cut and pull pieces out until I could get a special removal tool up into the threaded collar on the threaded mount.
Been monitoring with test strips since I put the new one on and will buy additive to add if needed. Will never remove that filter again. Not necessary.

palehorse89 12-05-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillboy (Post 2850941)
The first time I tried to remove this fliter I collapsed it. Thin walls and I doubt the last owner ever had it off. Had to cut and pull pieces out until I could get a special removal tool up into the threaded collar on the threaded mount.
Been monitoring with test strips since I put the new one on and will buy additive to add if needed. Will never remove that filter again. Not necessary.

Wondering why you won't have to ever remove it again? In time the paper media will break down...........

hillboy 12-07-2015 02:17 PM

good point, but Pretty sure I have a few years, since I still get good readings and the "filter" is simply a slow release deal.. Not sure if closing the valve has any adverse effect except to stop the flow of the additive. Pretty sure the one I chopped off still had paper in place.
Next time I go to Cummins I will ask. Thanks

Duoglide1 12-07-2015 07:23 PM

I think you can buy a "blank" if it's not needed anymore.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX

palehorse89 12-08-2015 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duoglide1 (Post 2853626)
I think you can buy a "blank" if it's not needed anymore.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX

NAPA 4070 is the filter without the SCA ring.
Fleetguard - WF2070