iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   DEF tank wrong side (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def-tank-wrong-side-272887.html)

Fiesta48 12-11-2015 02:30 PM

DEF tank wrong side
 
Finally figured out what to do...
Run a hose from the drivers side thru the engine compartment to the passenger side DEF tank. Tie wrapped hose to the frame up as high as possible.
Remove the cap on DEF tank push hose in tank opening. Use a funnel on drivers side to use truck stop bulk DEF hoses.
DEF in bulk is significantly cheaper than in containers. Even Walmart's DEF.
Now I do not have to transfer bulk to a container OR come in from the wrong direction at truck pumps.

JohnBoyToo 12-11-2015 02:36 PM

How about going in the right way, but backing in :)

AFChap 12-11-2015 02:47 PM

Didn't realize there is a "wrong" side. Your rig doesn't have fuel fill on both sides?

Ranger Smith 12-11-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFChap (Post 2857900)
Didn't realize there is a "wrong" side. Your rig doesn't have fuel fill on both sides?

He is not talking fuel. He is talking DEF tank. Mine is on passenger side also and the truck stops have the DEF nossel on the drivers side. My RV is the same way. Leave it to an engineer. They need to get into the real world.

WillandJane 12-11-2015 03:58 PM

.....seemed quite obvious to me, while sure he is not talking about fuel, but if he can fuel up on either side, then you just pull in on the side your def tank is on....now that's not the OP's problem but I too can fill from either side and I do so on the drivers side when I need def.

WDK

Pigman1 12-11-2015 04:19 PM

To overcome this problem I installed a 15 gal agriculture spray tank in the area aft of the engine between the engine and the rear cap. The tank and small 12V pump are made to handle ag chemicals, and DEF is the equivalent of nitrogen fertilizer dissolved in water that's used all the time on farms. From the tank I run a hose to the DEF fill cap on the passenger side and also placed a waterproof 12V switch there to control the pump. This setup allows the short hose on most DEF points to fill the AUX tank from the driver side. With this extra 15 gal of DEF, I can make the 11,000 mi round trip from the east coast to Alaska and return on only two fill ups, both of which I get in northeast Montana.

D Lindy 12-11-2015 04:37 PM

A work of wise from a past trucker - DO NOT PULL THRU THE FUEL ISLANDS THE WRONG WAY. I can guarantee you that a trucker will pull up RIGHT IN FRONT of you and MAKE YOU BACK UP out of the fuel islands!!!!

Crasher 12-11-2015 04:46 PM

With the side radiator, there was no room for the DEF tank on the drivers side, and it has to be close to the muffler, so they put it where it would work best. I don't understand the problem people make of it. For me, a gallon of DEF will go 400 miles depending on the load. More if not towing anything and less if pulling a heavy trailer. That's 6000 miles to empty. How many miles do most RVers travel in a year? We do about 10,000 miles. I carry three jugs of DEF with us. When I am fueling, if the truck stop is not busy, I pour them in the tank and refill from the pump and pour them in and refill the jugs to carry till the next time. I carry the extra jugs just is case The DEF runs low before I refill. It's no bug deal and only twice a year.

Algonquin 12-11-2015 07:00 PM

I also have the DEF tank on the "wrong" side. What I do is pull the hose from the dispenser serving the next lane on my right. The hose is long enough to reach my tank if I line up my DEF tank as close as possible to the dispenser.

chuckftboy 12-11-2015 08:22 PM

I don't think our DEF tanks are on the wrong side when considered buy the manufacturers. To them its on the right side because they don't think we are qualified to fill our tanks from a pump. Just sayin!!

BobGed 12-11-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigman1 (Post 2857968)
To overcome this problem I installed a 15 gal agriculture spray tank in the area aft of the engine between the engine and the rear cap. The tank and small 12V pump are made to handle ag chemicals, and DEF is the equivalent of nitrogen fertilizer dissolved in water that's used all the time on farms. From the tank I run a hose to the DEF fill cap on the passenger side and also placed a waterproof 12V switch there to control the pump. This setup allows the short hose on most DEF points to fill the AUX tank from the driver side. With this extra 15 gal of DEF, I can make the 11,000 mi round trip from the east coast to Alaska and return on only two fill ups, both of which I get in northeast Montana.

IMHO....Ingenious :thumb:

Dutch Star Don 12-11-2015 08:48 PM

I'm with "Crasher"....we do more miles than a lot of people every year, but don't have an issue with filling DEF. I buy it by the box at Walmart. When I get home from a trip, I top off the tank, at my leisure. The difference in price between the pump and the Walmart box, just isn't worth all the aggravation some are going through.

I even bought two 2.5 gallon jugs made just for DEF to fill at the pumps, but it just hasn't been necessary or worth the hassle.

WillandJane 12-12-2015 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Lindy (Post 2857976)
A work of wise from a past trucker - DO NOT PULL THRU THE FUEL ISLANDS THE WRONG WAY. I can guarantee you that a trucker will pull up RIGHT IN FRONT of you and MAKE YOU BACK UP out of the fuel islands!!!!

If you pull in going the right way, more to the middle of the island as any driver would the hose has always been long enough to reach my fill from either side.....never had a problem with it....only the option but having said that, I have seen truckers pull any which way they can and I have never seen anyone made to back up yet. Though I don't log that many miles to be the best onservant of that. The right way or wrong way seems dependent upon the station.....a little common sense to know which way you should be pulling in goes a long way.

WDK

JMonroe 12-12-2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiesta48 (Post 2857883)
...
Run a hose from the drivers side thru the engine compartment to the passenger side DEF tank. Tie wrapped hose to the frame up as high as possible.
Remove the cap on DEF tank push hose in tank opening. Use a funnel on drivers side to use truck stop bulk DEF hoses...

My concern would be introducing contaminants into the system. Is that hose capped off on both ends? How is the funnel being cleaned and stored?


For those of you that have used the bulk fill pumps at the truck islands, how long is the DEF hose?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.