iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Winegard Traveler issue? Dish Network (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/winegard-traveler-issue-dish-network-278215.html)

moechester 02-02-2016 02:40 PM

Winegard Traveler issue? Dish Network

I had a brand new Winegard Traveler installed on my coach. Installed by an RV dealer. When I turn the power on it goes thru the motions of searching for the satellites. This takes about 7 to 10 minutes. Once it appears to find the satellites it immediately goes to stow mode and stows itself? After it is stowed it will power off? I have 2 receivers purchased from my cable company. I also had the dealer wire everything as well. I am trying this in an open area with little to no obstructions. My dealer naturally does not have a clue and said it worked fine after installed? I find this hard to believe since it has yet to work for me. Any idea what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Selah 02-02-2016 03:19 PM

You purchased your receivers from a cable company? What receivers did you get? Are they VIP211z?

moechester 02-02-2016 04:00 PM

VIP 211K is the model of the receivers I purchased.

D Lindy 02-02-2016 05:33 PM

While we don't have the Trav'ller yet from what I've read and heard it will find the Dish network satellites (if that's the model dish you have) even if there is no receiver hooked up. Sounds like an issue with the Trav'ller controller.

UFO Pilot 02-02-2016 05:43 PM

Turn the TV and receiver on and then press menu then 6 - 1 - 1. Select satellite 110 or 119 and then watch the screen and see if you are actually locating the satellites. The progress bar should turn green and you should hear a loud tone. It should find the one satellite and then move on to the next. Eventually it should lock on to both. Have you watched the control box to see what is happening. It should go thru locating and peaking before locking on.

TechWriter 02-02-2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moechester (Post 2925371)
I had a brand new Winegard Traveler installed on my coach. When I turn the power on it goes thru the motions of searching for the satellites. Once it appears to find the satellites it immediately goes to stow mode and stows itself

Does this display ever appear?

https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpr...install_09.jpg

moechester 02-03-2016 01:44 PM

I have seen the picture shown above. Not sure if the (*) symbols are present? Only for brief second and the box immediately goes to stow mode and stows itself then powers off?

rk911 02-03-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moechester (Post 2926504)
I have seen the picture shown above. Not sure if the (*) symbols are present? Only for brief second and the box immediately goes to stow mode and stows itself then powers off?

when troubleshooting I tend to go with..."simple things first". I winder if you're holding the power button down too long. that might cause the behavior you're describing. the power button just needs a light, very brief touch. give that a try.

moechester 02-03-2016 02:49 PM

I have a self proclaimed satellite professional coming today to give me an official verdict on my satellite dish and set up? I hope I am just doing something simple wrong?

rk911 02-03-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moechester (Post 2926584)
I have a self proclaimed satellite professional coming today to give me an official verdict on my satellite dish and set up? I hope I am just doing something simple wrong?

did you try my suggestion?

YC1 02-03-2016 03:23 PM

You said little to no obstructions. One tiny branch can put you out of business. It must be a clear view of the bird. You do not need a receiver for the Travler to find and lock on.

moechester 02-03-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 2926596)
did you try my suggestion?

I have not had an opportunity to try your suggestion. My work stuff getting in the way of trying to troubleshoot my dish.

rk911 02-03-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YC1 (Post 2926630)
You said little to no obstructions. One tiny branch can put you out of business. It must be a clear view of the bird. You do not need a receiver for the Travler to find and lock on.

that's not been our experience. we've had service thru trees, I think the threshold is 70%, give or take.

YC1 02-03-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 2926760)
that's not been our experience. we've had service thru trees, I think the threshold is 70%, give or take.

Been in the telecommunications business over 40 years. At these frequencies and signal levels a tiny limb can indeed block the signal. Yes you may have found a hole in the leaves but you got lucky. Best advice to save frustration is to impress on people that a clear view is essential.