iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Cummins Engines (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Cummins ISC lift pump replacement (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cummins-isc-lift-pump-replacement-280226.html)

Smitty77 03-26-2016 04:16 PM

9 times out of 10, a new Lift Pump will cure the ULSD caused problems on these older engines.

Our July 2003 ISL370 CAPS engine Lift Pump was not leaking, but I decided to preventatively work around it on my schedule. I had Brazel's add the FAAS pump into our system. Alan, nice guy and attention to detail tech, did a great job of retaining my existing Country Coach filters (I only installed the FASS pump, not the their dual filters.) in our fuel filter basement bay. Fabricated lines to run up and splice into the existing Lift Pump (The top part, past the risk of gasket leaking cocnerns.). He capped off and double secured the existing lift pump lines, so that if I ever needed to I could re-activeate the OEM Lift Pump by shifting the hoses back into play. (This would only be done for a short emergency reason.).

Very clean install, and I like that the FASS pump is keeping positive pressure feed to the CAPS. The CAPS lives and breathes by the fuel flow for both cooling and lubrication. Yes, it is supposed to draw al that it needs, this the OEM Lift Pump shuts down once it is up and running. But I feel like I have extra insurance with the positive fuel flow pressure.

Best to all,
Smitty

passerby 04-05-2016 08:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New pump installed.:dance:
Part #4935005 Cummins
$488.88 + tax & shipping
Photo of new one installed and
old nasty one on the ground

USMCRET 04-06-2016 03:07 PM

How long did it take you to install that?

CountryFit 04-06-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passerby (Post 3009562)
New pump installed.:dance:
Part #4935005 Cummins
$488.88 + tax & shipping
Photo of new one installed and
old nasty one on the ground

congrats... did you need to get a bunch of adapters/connectors or just plug n' play?

passerby 04-07-2016 07:24 PM

Before you give me too much credit, I had someone install the pump.
Where I work we have 40 + MHs and so I meet all kinds of tradesmen. He does roadside repairs and had come to our storage to fix another MH. I had him install the pump.
My claim to glory, I went and bought the copper washers. It took him about 2 hours and some muscle. He use the old plugs from the leaking pump. (more holes in pump than hoses to connect) I will post the washers parts tomorrow the receipt is at work. I had easy access to Motor. I do a lot work myself but didn't do this job. All is good now:)

CountryFit 04-08-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passerby (Post 3012525)
Before you give me too much credit, I had someone install the pump.
Where I work we have 40 + MHs and so I meet all kinds of tradesmen. He does roadside repairs and had come to our storage to fix another MH. I had him install the pump.
My claim to glory, I went and bought the copper washers. It took him about 2 hours and some muscle. He use the old plugs from the leaking pump. (more holes in pump than hoses to connect) I will post the washers parts tomorrow the receipt is at work. I had easy access to Motor. I do a lot work myself but didn't do this job. All is good now:)

super deal! mine had been leaking and i tightened the bolts which did the trick. i am not sure how long it will hold, sooner or later i will need to replace either the gasket or the pump assembly. if you could share what miscellaneous items you bought for it, that would be great!! tia!.

colo.kids 04-09-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryFit (Post 3013460)
super deal! mine had been leaking and i tightened the bolts which did the trick. i am not sure how long it will hold, sooner or later i will need to replace either the gasket or the pump assembly. if you could share what miscellaneous items you bought for it, that would be great!! tia!.

I have a 2004 Country Coach Inspire with ISC and yesterday saw fuel leaking at the rate of a drop or two every 10 seconds or so. Based on this discussion and other research I suspect the transfer pump though I have yet to tear apart the bedroom to see the engine and the source of the leak. With 82,000 miles is the transfer pump and or gasket the most likely source of the leak, and if so how do I get the right part number? Can a person with moderate skills do the install as I hate to think of the cost of having Cummins do the work.

Thanks

CountryFit 04-09-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colo.kids (Post 3014777)
I have a 2004 Country Coach Inspire with ISC and yesterday saw fuel leaking at the rate of a drop or two every 10 seconds or so. Based on this discussion and other research I suspect the transfer pump though I have yet to tear apart the bedroom to see the engine and the source of the leak. With 82,000 miles is the transfer pump and or gasket the most likely source of the leak, and if so how do I get the right part number? Can a person with moderate skills do the install as I hate to think of the cost of having Cummins do the work.

Thanks

you can tighten the bolts to see if it stops. the access is from top (flip up the bed mattress).

you can call cummins with your engine serial number to find out the gasket number. (flip up the threads, a member posted his findings).

this can be a diy project in case you need to replace the gasket or a new pump. if you need to hire someone to do it, any diesel shops or heavy truck companies will be able to do it.

colo.kids 04-09-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryFit (Post 3015078)
you can tighten the bolts to see if it stops. the access is from top (flip up the bed mattress).

you can call cummins with your engine serial number to find out the gasket number. (flip up the threads, a member posted his findings).

this can be a diy project in case you need to replace the gasket or a new pump. if you need to hire someone to do it, any diesel shops or heavy truck companies will be able to do it.

Thanks for answering my questions and for the advice.

Russ

passerby 04-11-2016 08:02 PM

The only parts for lift pump replacement, 4 copper crush washers for the banjo connection from pump to engine. They are on the top of pump and I looked at the receipt no size listed, just 4 about $6.00 total.

AccessMaster 04-19-2016 01:37 PM

Pump gasket

I ordered the 4928511 gasket, but I do not yet understand where it goes.
i can only view the top of my pump, so I do not yet understand the entire system.

CountryFit 04-19-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passerby (Post 3018561)
The only parts for lift pump replacement, 4 copper crush washers for the banjo connection from pump to engine. They are on the top of pump and I looked at the receipt no size listed, just 4 about $6.00 total.

thanks for the info.

crah 04-19-2016 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AccessMaster (Post 3030157)
I ordered the 4928511 gasket, but I do not yet understand where it goes.
i can only view the top of my pump, so I do not yet understand the entire system.

Here's a picture of a new pump. The 3 screw that look exactly same on the top are the ones you remove and the gasket goes between the top mounting bracket and the bottom pump. The old style pump you have is the same set up but the screws are different. They are actual bolts you can remove with a socket.

crah 04-19-2016 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more picture. It's the star looking screws.