iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Cummins Engines (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Cummins ISC lift pump replacement (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cummins-isc-lift-pump-replacement-280226.html)

CountryFit 04-19-2016 09:07 PM

crah, great info... does the "new star screws" have the same thread as the old bolts'?

crah 04-21-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryFit (Post 3030778)
crah, great info... does the "new star screws" have the same thread as the old bolts'?

That I'm not sure of. I had a mobile mechanic Install the new pump. It would have taken me a weekend to do myself with lots of cursing. I did try to tighten my old pump bolts but had no success with that. Looking back at it, I may have attempted to replace just the gasket if I had one one hand but I happen to be by a cummins shop and decided to buy the entire pump assembly.

AccessMaster 04-22-2016 10:31 AM

Thank you guys.

Thanks for all the great input on the lift pump issue. At the moment I am one of the lucky ones. I tightened the three bolts and the leak stopped. I have the gasket on the way as well.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

cewarre 03-06-2018 03:15 PM

Lift Pumps are Still Failing Out There

I too woke up one recent morning to a puddle of diesel under my coach. I spent lots of time on iRV@ and decided to try replacing the gasket first and then if there is still a problem, purchase a new pump. I followed a posting by jacwjames (which I greatly appreciate) and have the following update:

I spoke with Carl at Capital Volvo, 1-800-247-5673 and he said he still has 370 of the aftermarket gaskets in stock for the Cummins lift pumps and gets calls quite often. They are still $6.71 each and he is shipping me two via UPS. He said the aftermarket gaskets reference to Cummins part numbers 3964385 and 4935004.

snowman1 03-07-2018 08:24 PM

I recently had mine replaced by a mobile mechanic. Took him about 2 hours to do it. Mine wasn't leaking or hard to start, just decided to do it as a preventative type maintenance. The new lift pump is nearly silent from inside the coach during the priming, the old one was very loud I could clearly hear it. When we first turned the ignition on to start the priming sequence, I had to go back to the open hatch to hear it. Was worried something didn't get hooked properly. Starts right up like before and is one more thing to check off my worry list.

While he was unpacking the new one from the box noticed it had a "Made In China" sticker on it. A lift pump for a Cummins diesel engine? We really don't make anything here anymore. Kept the old one just in case...

rgvtexan 06-04-2018 08:54 PM

Anyone use this pump? <$200.00

Cummins 4935005 Fuel Transfer Pump - Carp Coastal Marine Supply

guardrail53 06-04-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgvtexan (Post 4225333)

Same #, does not come with the gasket and the brass hose washers! Said the guy in the review? He also said that it worked perfectly! Sooooooo!!

I would order it, for the cost savings! And source the gasket and washers!

Rail!:cool::D

jbenalpine 06-18-2018 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 330 HP ISC from the year 2000 had the much talked about Lift Pump leak. The bolts talked about I had tightened earlier without success.
I ordered a gasket from Capital Volvo and fuel line crush washers from Cummins (2 x 3963983 and 2 x 3963988) to repair my leaky pump. The pump a bit tough to get out and back in but otherwise the job is DIY kind of job taking about 4 hrs for whole process. Taking the pump apart the gasket and the fuel line washer were all swollen from fuel. Replaced those parts for total cost $21.65 and after 3 weeks and a few hundred miles no leaks. Hoping it remains that way.:o

scotcee 06-18-2018 09:58 PM

Noticed fuel on driveway when we pulled out for our 2200 mile trip to visit all our families. Found a mechanic in a town 50 miles away (southern Calif. has 10,000,000 diesel rigs and maybe 100 mechanics to fix'em).
Pump--$420.83 Labor--$125.
Will check to make sure all gaskets, o-rings, and hoses are ULSD.
First engine breakdowm with 80000 miles on an 2004 ISC
8.3L.

jimmy braden 03-04-2019 07:26 AM

Mine only has the Bedside hatch access to pump. I think im just gonna let a professional do the work. I found one local guy that will do it for 105per hour labor.. And I bet he's 3x faster than I so I can prob afford that.. Looks like pumps are about 250now.

thebings 10-11-2019 04:32 AM

Just received a new replacement pump. Was hoping to use the old plugs to fill the unused ports on the new pump. The old pump does not have removable plugs. Anyone know where the size or part number or where I can buy these plugs. I need three plugs, the two at the rear of the pump and the forward most port on the passenger side. I have already tried HD and auto parts store.
Thank
Don

thebings 10-11-2019 10:19 AM

UPDATE:
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebings (Post 4992242)
Just received a new replacement pump. Was hoping to use the old plugs to fill the unused ports on the new pump. The old pump does not have removable plugs. Anyone know where the size or part number or where I can buy these plugs. I need three plugs, the two at the rear of the pump and the forward most port on the passenger side. I have already tried HD and auto parts store.
Thank
Don

Found the Plugs at Cummins. All is good

imnprsd 11-04-2019 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know you just repaired your Lift Pump and are good to go, but for others facing this problem I would recommend you by-pass the lift pump altogether (if you can) and put your money and time into a new FASS TS (Electric) Pump installation.

See other posts on how to install the FASS pump and protect your very expensive CAPS injection pump!

The picture shows who I had to install the TS Pump in my Itasca-Freightliner RV. The Pink Highlighter shows how Monaco-Spartan owners can by-pass the lift pump altogether.

Damion 11-05-2019 06:10 PM

I replaced mine with this one $234.13
Did 10,000 miles to Alaska this summer to try it out!
https://www.mddistributorsstore.com/...-transfer-pump