iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   "Toughest" tires for 16-inch wheels? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/toughest-tires-for-16-inch-wheels-285482.html)

youracman 04-04-2016 11:04 PM

"Toughest" tires for 16-inch wheels?

I am in the process of buying a 31-ft class C from a private party. He advised that he has had 1 blowout and the original owner had one blowout.....with tires under 5 years of age....both on a passenger-side dual. In at least one case I believe it was "road gator" induced. He says his TPMS data shows that both of the pass side duals, in warm weather, consistently run a bit more pressure buildup and 10 degrees or so higher temperature than any of the other tires......and that it is a consistent thing. He believes the pass side duals take more of a "beating" ...... especially on roads that are crowned quite a bit (maybe this is common knowledge....dunno.) Since a couple of the tires are now approaching 5 years, I am wondering if any particular tire maker builds tires that are "stronger" or whatever..... and I should give that brand more consideration when replacing. Perhaps it is all a crap shoot....but the seller says a LOT of class C owners with the smaller wheels wish some manufacturer would build a tire that was one load range higher than is currently available. Any comment from owners of "heavier" rigs with 16" wheels appreciated. Ed S in Denver.

Skip426 04-05-2016 12:25 AM

Another possibility is that the RV is heavy; even overloaded; on the right side and that the owners have been running the tires at too low a pressure.
JMHO: Have the unit weighed , four corners if at all possible , before you buy.:thumb:

beeman12 04-05-2016 05:06 AM

I have just put Firestone Enforcer HT on my 27 footer. 16 inch. E rated.

jenandjon 04-05-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeman12 (Post 3008409)
I have just put Firestone Enforcer HT on my 27 footer. 16 inch. E rated.

That will work. I was going to say Firestone transforce. AT or HT. I have at (all terrain) on my tow vehicle and HT (Highway Terrain) on the farms dually pickup. Only difference is the tread pattern and even that is not much different. I dont have a class C anymore but if I did I would feel perfectly safe with any of these 3 tires.

beeman12 04-05-2016 06:01 AM

tires

I should have wrote Transforce not enforcer.:banghead:

ransil 04-05-2016 07:08 AM

I run transforce also, my passenger duels run warmer but I think it's from the exhaust routing nearby, it's only 10-20 degrees nothing to worry about. MH is a 2003 31 foot class C

Rockwood27 04-05-2016 07:10 AM

I had the Transforce HT tires on a 27 foot Class A. They worked great. As a previous poster suggested, get the MH weighed. Thirty one foot Class C tend to run on max side of GVWR.

ralphie 04-05-2016 07:43 AM

I had a similar problem with a Class C and Class A with a tag axle. The inside dual seemed to be the first to blow. I think it's a combination of things, like possibly being heavier on the street side, road crown, exhaust, aging out and maybe not being able to observe the inside dual for potential problems.

Regardless, the C you're looking at already has 16" wheels, yes? If so, the go to tire (when I had both those rigs) was Michelin XPS ribs as I recall. I can tell you whenever I've strayed away from Michelin for any of my vehicles, I have been disappointed. However, you might want to take a look at Hankook and Sailun for tires in the size you need.

youracman 04-05-2016 09:23 AM

"Toughest" tires for 16-inch wheels?

Thanks for the quick responses. Helps a LOT. The current owner has certified 4-corner weights for the rig. He just loaded it like he was ready to go camping with water, fuel and even firewood + 4 occupants. He came out 500 lb under the GVWR and OK on the axle wt distribution too. I do understand though that the E-450s that are 30+ feet are pretty well "maxed" out straight from the factory ......and I want to stay legal....and safe as possible. Plan to carry some heavier items in the 2800# toad (maybe tool boxes?) as the GCWR has considerable "wiggle room". I will get my own weight data as well.

Thanks again. I will surely be "bugging you" later as my MH-owner education continues. Ed S

38Chevy454 04-05-2016 09:31 AM

Load Range E tires are higher load capacity than Load Range D, for example if D is what is on the MH now. Load range E are easily available and would be a good choice. Brand and model is up to you, many options.

jenandjon 04-06-2016 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeman12 (Post 3008469)
I should have wrote Transforce not enforcer.:banghead:

I never hard of enforcer I thought maybe they were new. They always change stuff LOL

Dr4Film 04-06-2016 06:17 AM

I had so many trailer tire problems while using HD LT tires Load Range E, specifically the Wild Country XTX Sport. I finally switched to a set of Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 tires load range G.

Expensive but well worth the price to not have anymore sidewall problems.

LT tire sidewalls are too spongy whereas the Goodyear tire has a much stiffer sidewall to handle the bouncing of the trailer as it moves along the road.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

mwwade 04-11-2016 03:57 PM

Michelin all the way!

peterson 04-12-2016 06:00 AM

Michelin XPS Traction. These are used by the Forest Service because the tire has extra thick sidewalls that are less likely to fail. I ordered these and the tire dealer said these were overrated and unnecessary even though he had never mounted a set. When they showed up at his tire shop he quickly he changed his mind and didn't mind admitting he was wrong with his assumption. He was very impressed with the tire after actually putting his hands on them. I used these, and replaced them several times after they wore out (I put a lot of hard miles on them). I wish they came in sizes other than 16" so I could use them on all my vehicles.

Dr4Film 04-12-2016 07:04 AM

That Michelin XPS Traction tire is a pretty expensive tire for being only an E Rated tire carrying a little over 3000 lbs' at max inflation pressure of 80 psi.

I stand by the Goodyear G614 being the best which is a TRUE trailer tire that can be re-grooved and built exactly like 22.5 inch truck tires. It is rated at carrying over 3700 lbs. at maximum inflation pressure of 110 lb's.

Your money your choice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard