iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Class C cab replacement questions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/class-c-cab-replacement-questions-286156.html)

Cricco 04-10-2016 12:19 PM

Class C cab replacement questions

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings. This is my first post. Previously had a 25' travel trailer. Lost it in divorce. Just purchased a 2007 Winnebago Access. It has only 10,700 miles on it. Very clean. I had asked the dealer to completely seal it before I picked it up. He called yesterday to tell me that he discovered the cab is rotted from an unseen leak. There was no visible sign of it when I inspected it. Dealer has offered to replace the cab over driver seat where bunk is. States that his cost is $6,000. I'm grateful that he was honest and willing to fix it. Bad news is that I cannot pick it up until June. My questions, 1) Should I be concerned about the repair? Will this lead to future problems? 2) Should I back out of the deal, maybe go with a different unit? Thanks for any advice.

Attachment 123711

Mr_D 04-10-2016 12:36 PM

I think I'd look for another rig unless you're really in love with this one.

Cricco 04-10-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 3016386)
I think I'd look for another rig unless you're really in love with this one.

Any specific reasons?

Mich F 04-10-2016 05:53 PM

If you paid anywhere near that $38,884 price (too much) in the window, and are going to pay $6,000 more for a cabover repair, that is way too much money for a 9, going on 10 year old MH.
It's also hard (for me) to believe the dealer's cost will be $6,000 to do a cabover rebuild. Another thing to consider is that the low (10,700) miles, on that unit is not necessarily a good thing. It probably has sat unused, way too long. What are the dates on the tires. Should they be replaced?

Cricco 04-10-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich F (Post 3016775)
If you paid anywhere near that $38,884 price (too much) in the window, and are going to pay $6,000 more for a cabover repair, that is way too much money for a 9, going on 10 year old MH. It's also hard (for me) to believe the dealer's cost will be $6,000 to do a cabover rebuild. Another thing to consider is that the low (10,700) miles, on that unit is not necessarily a good thing. It probably has sat unused, way too long. What are the dates on the tires. Should they be replaced?

The dealer is paying for the cab over repair. We paid $32K. They also put 6 new tires on it. I'm not sure how much it was used.

DogNPonyshow 04-10-2016 08:24 PM

It is a common issue for Class Cs to rot out over the cab if former owners werent diligent on roof checks and resealing caulk regularly. Our first C purchase ended up having rot in it not first detected...the dealer we purchased from made good on it. We were quoted 10,000 by the local repair company the delear we purchased from sent us too so the dealer decided to take the unit back and let us have a nicer one at no.additional cost to us.

If the dealer is willing to fix at their cost and you dont mind the wait, you'll know for certain you wont have this be an issue anytime soon down the road.

Cricco 04-11-2016 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, thanks for the advice. I just got back from the dealer. I was able to renegotiate a deal. I did not want the water damaged class C, but I was able to get a 2006 Monaco Monarch instead. It's beautiful! It has a brand new engine, with 70k miles on the coach. The sticker price was $69,000. I was able to get it for $45k. No water damage on this one.

Attachment 123805

Mr_D 04-11-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricco (Post 3017881)
So, thanks for the advice. I just got back from the dealer. I was able to renegotiate a deal. I did not want the water damaged class C, but I was able to get a 2006 Monaco Monarch instead. It's beautiful! It has a brand new engine, with 70k miles on the coach. The sticker price was $69,000. I was able to get it for $45k. No water damage on this one.

Attachment 123805

GOOD!! Looks like a much nicer unit. I think that was a good decision, but I haven't seen the rig either! Condition, condition, condition!
Looks like it has a Banks kit on it too, that may or may not be a good thing. Of our four Type A MH's (1 gas and 3 DP's) we've had two with Banks kits. Made a big difference in driveability but no fuel mileage gains.

Cricco 04-11-2016 12:24 PM

The dealer said that the Banks kit may have been the problem with the old engine. The new one does not have it. I did test drive it, and it has plenty of power as is.