iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   Cabelas - what's allowed? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/cabelas-whats-allowed-286233.html)

Hammer bird 04-10-2016 09:00 PM

Cabelas - what's allowed?

I've read a lot about overnights at Cabelas. I can't find much info about overnighting there. I find nothing on their official website about rv parking. Anyone who's used them - do you ask to park? Do they have specific areas for rv parking? Thanks for any insight. How about Bass Pro Shops?

NLOVNIT 04-10-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer bird (Post 3017091)
... Anyone who's used them - do you ask to park?

We've stayed at 2-3 Cabela's. Yes. Always call the location before assuming you can park. They could be in a location with ordinances prohibiting overnight parking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer bird (Post 3017091)
Do they have specific areas for rv parking

If they allow, there will be signs in the areas where overnight RV parking can be done. If you arrive before the store closes, check in with customer service.

Lori-

TonyDi 04-10-2016 09:16 PM

Anytime someone allows you to stay overnight, whether it's Cabelas, Cracker Barrel or Wal-mart, the courteous thing to do is ask for permission and directions to where they want you to park. Even though they may allow parking, the town ordinances may not allow it.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!

Electra 225 04-10-2016 09:24 PM

Hello Hammer Bird.
In my slow typing the other posters got ahead of mine, so (in repetition), I too just call ahead and ask the management. I do this with Walmart etc even if I find online it says over-nighting is allowed. Then there's no surprises, ordinances or whatever. Get the manager's first name too in case you need to verify on premises. I myself have no experience with Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop yet. But I'd do the call ahead just the same. I have found management appreciates that too, just courtesy. I also tell them how many hours I plan on being there and make sure that's OK with them as well. Reason being, sometimes due to my at times unique schedule I've had to arrive in the middle of the night. So I'm there sometimes until midday.

Just the way I've chose to do it, worked fine for me so far.

Best regards,
W.D.

hclark6345 04-10-2016 09:41 PM

We have boondocks at 3 Cabelas
in 2010 we stayed Cabelas in Kearney, Nebraska. Just a parking lot, older store.
in 2015 we stayed at Cabelas in Omaha, Nebraska, Paved parking lot where trucks waited to be unloaded.
We have stayed several times at Cabelas in Dundee Michigan. Latest stay was in February 2016. This is a newer store with a marked area for RVs.
We did not ask for permission to park at any store. Nobody from any store ever said a word to us
We have a 32 foot class A towing a Honda CRV.

CountryFit 04-10-2016 10:26 PM

i have never parked overnight at any of those - cabela's, cracker barrel, and bass pro... looks like they are regional stores mostly in mid south/north and eastern coast. curious - in a general term, do they have large parking lots accommodating 40'-45' rigs, and easy in and out?

NLOVNIT 04-10-2016 10:28 PM

Parking area depends on where they are located. For example, the Cabela's closest to me has a very small RV parking area. One in the next state over has a huge RV parking area.

Lori-

dons2346 04-10-2016 10:32 PM

Depending on which Cabella's you are talking about. The one in Sidney,NE has a full campground

Loggenrock 04-10-2016 10:34 PM

The Cabelas we have used tend to be RV-friendly, including water and a dump station. Usually have designated RV lanes. If we arrive before store has closed, will go inside to ask. Most Cabelas have a person as a "greeter" just inside the front doors - if they don't know the policy they radio the manager. ST

Mr_D 04-10-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons2346 (Post 3017205)
Depending on which Cabella's you are talking about. The one in Sidney,NE has a full campground

I passed that one, was too early in the day to stop though and I needed to make time to get home.

twinboat 04-10-2016 10:39 PM

Cabela's in Hamburg PA. has a large parking lot with a dump site and water.

Seen trailers set up with tow vehicles off seeing the sites.

CountryFit 04-10-2016 10:56 PM

great. just like walmart some big and some small, but in general i consider walmat is BIG. per above comments, cabela's does look like a big/good place to stop over. i agree, getting a permission from the store is always a nice thing.

reflex439 04-19-2016 08:53 AM

I recently stayed at Cabelas in Scarborough ME while in transit further north up the coast.. They had a marked parking area for trucks and RVs, mostly level. I think there was a dump station as well, but I didn't need one at the time. Since its clearly marked at the location, and on their website, I didn't ask to park. Obviously, no slides, awning, grill, etc. Just a quiet place to park and sleep. I always visit and make a purchase if I overnight. Nice store. Large taxidermy display, aquarium, cafe, etc, and packed with outdoor merchandise.

Elk4me 04-21-2016 10:13 PM

We stayed at the Cabela's in Lacey, WA two weeks ago, just an overnighter. No issues, there is ample parking and a sewer dump available for a fee, but if you shop in the store they will give you a code number to use the dump and water fill station. We plan on another overnighter in June on the way to the coast and south to Oregon.