iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Blinky ads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/blinky-ads-297081.html)

nothermark 06-26-2016 02:53 PM

Blinky ads

First let me commend the site owners for moving away from flash. All my network sources say it is a disaster waiting to happen.

That said the number of blinky ads I see has taken a sharp increase since my flash blocker no longer works. I am all in favor of advertising supported things. That said there are some forms of advertising that cross over from informative to aggravating. I would happily lend a hand at eliminating morons who put blinky advertising on line. It gets really annoying before I get to look at it. I automatically reject the material offered except to note someone who will *not* get my business. Therefore I am doing you a favor by blocking ads that blink. Better for my blood pressure and your possibility of a sale.

BFlinn181 06-26-2016 08:08 PM

I use Adblock. At present on this page it's blocking 13 ads that I don't have to load or see.

timjet 06-27-2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFlinn181 (Post 3134019)
I use Adblock. At present on this page it's blocking 13 ads that I don't have to load or see.

I just installed Adblock and wow, what a difference. Computer runs much faster. Thanks

nothermark 06-27-2016 07:13 AM

I have adblock and use it some places. This site uses ad revenue to pay for those of us who do not pay for reading it. That imposes a bit of moral obligation to let them run. I let them until they get annoying meaning the blinky one's.

BFlinn181 06-27-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3134509)
I have adblock and use it some places. This site uses ad revenue to pay for those of us who do not pay for reading it. That imposes a bit of moral obligation to let them run. I let them until they get annoying meaning the blinky one's.

I agree, that's why I became a supporting member. Only problem is, I can't stand accessing the forum on my iPad or phone where I don't have adblock!

plasma800 06-27-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3134509)

Wait wait wait.....

This site uses the content we generate for them, for free, to display ads, to generate income.... and they have 28 sites or so in total.

I don't feel bad using ad block. MY duty and contribution to them is continuing to create free content for them, which aids in bringing them more traffic.

And besides, they don't get paid unless someone clicks an ad, so if you're not clicking them, might as well not have to look at them or wait for the slowed loading times....

If anything, they should be paying US an ad share for ads clicked from posts we've created. I'd probably have a buck 75 by now :rofl::rofl::rofl::cool:

RedneckExpress 06-27-2016 10:52 AM

Might want to switch to uBlock Origin, AdBlock Plus now as a "paid" auto whitelist that allows certain ads through if the advertiser pays the Adblock plus folks some cash.

nothermark 06-28-2016 05:25 AM

My real point was directed at the ad suppliers. I am happy to read at my convenience if I have any interest in their product. I resent the blinky's because the demand my attention so I will *not* buy from anyone who persists in annoying me that way.

plasma800 06-28-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3135993)
My real point was directed at the ad suppliers. I am happy to read at my convenience if I have any interest in their product. I resent the blinky's because the demand my attention so I will *not* buy from anyone who persists in annoying me that way.

ahhh understood. :thumb:

The Logans 06-28-2016 08:56 AM

We switched to the Firefox browser, and it allows us to block all flash pop-ups unless we want to see them (it asks). I would never buy something from a "blinky", as they are so annoying, and they slow down the page loading.

nothermark 06-29-2016 05:09 AM

I also run Firefox. There is a lot of pressure to move away from flash because of all the security issues. The replacement seems to be animated .gif files which are just as annoying. There is also a lot of noise about using adblock on pages paid for by advertising. That is why I am perfectly happy to let advertising run as long as it does not cross over from being there to trying to dominated the page.

Podivin 06-29-2016 05:24 AM

I've taken to using the Opera browser because of it's ad blocking capabilities.
And I agree with northermark, I got tired of seeing the blinking, flashing and otherwise annoying ads. Many of the ads are for products that I might actually be interested in, or at least curious enough to click the ad to see what it's all about. However they go to such lengths to try and get my attention that it's backfired on them, since now I don't see their ads at all.

Andy R 06-30-2016 08:18 AM

I acquired iRV2 a long time ago. This discussion was brought to my attention so I took a look at things. In the past we just ran mostly ad network ads. In recent years we added smaller endemic advertisers (ie. RV related businesses) and put their button ads in the right hand column. I'm trying to understand what ads are blinking so much so we can try to get them toned down.

Are you all talking about the banner ad across the top (728x90) or top of the right hand column (300x250)? Or are you talking about the sponsor button ads on the rigth hand side?

Podivin 06-30-2016 08:40 AM

Hi Andy, thanks for chiming in!
For me the banner ad is less of an annoyance because I only see it for a while. As I scroll down into the forums that ad scrolls off the top. Also it was only moving at first, clearly a little something just to get my attention as it was 'drawn' on the screen. After that it just sat there (good ad, sit - stay. :) )

As I sit here now the sponsor ads on the right hand side are:
Non-moving Newmar and SMI ads
'Truma Endless Hot Water' is changing screens every second or so.
RV Upgrades is flashing 'Find out how'
Acme Tow dolly is flashing 'BUY IT NOW' and also changing screens.
5 Star Tuning is changing screens every few seconds.

I refreshed the screen;
Still have the Truma ad doing it's thing.
Now have TVFORMYRV.com changing screens every second or so.
RV Upgrades is still 'find out how'
North Trail RV is changing screens every second or so
Both Newmar and SMI MFg still there and non-moving.
So out of 6 ads on the side, 4 of them are 'blinking' in some way or another. It's all really too 'busy' and annoying.