iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Blinky ads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/blinky-ads-297081.html)

nothermark 06-26-2016 02:53 PM

Blinky ads

First let me commend the site owners for moving away from flash. All my network sources say it is a disaster waiting to happen.

That said the number of blinky ads I see has taken a sharp increase since my flash blocker no longer works. I am all in favor of advertising supported things. That said there are some forms of advertising that cross over from informative to aggravating. I would happily lend a hand at eliminating morons who put blinky advertising on line. It gets really annoying before I get to look at it. I automatically reject the material offered except to note someone who will *not* get my business. Therefore I am doing you a favor by blocking ads that blink. Better for my blood pressure and your possibility of a sale.

BFlinn181 06-26-2016 08:08 PM

I use Adblock. At present on this page it's blocking 13 ads that I don't have to load or see.

timjet 06-27-2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFlinn181 (Post 3134019)
I use Adblock. At present on this page it's blocking 13 ads that I don't have to load or see.

I just installed Adblock and wow, what a difference. Computer runs much faster. Thanks

nothermark 06-27-2016 07:13 AM

I have adblock and use it some places. This site uses ad revenue to pay for those of us who do not pay for reading it. That imposes a bit of moral obligation to let them run. I let them until they get annoying meaning the blinky one's.

BFlinn181 06-27-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3134509)
I have adblock and use it some places. This site uses ad revenue to pay for those of us who do not pay for reading it. That imposes a bit of moral obligation to let them run. I let them until they get annoying meaning the blinky one's.

I agree, that's why I became a supporting member. Only problem is, I can't stand accessing the forum on my iPad or phone where I don't have adblock!

plasma800 06-27-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3134509)

Wait wait wait.....

This site uses the content we generate for them, for free, to display ads, to generate income.... and they have 28 sites or so in total.

I don't feel bad using ad block. MY duty and contribution to them is continuing to create free content for them, which aids in bringing them more traffic.

And besides, they don't get paid unless someone clicks an ad, so if you're not clicking them, might as well not have to look at them or wait for the slowed loading times....

If anything, they should be paying US an ad share for ads clicked from posts we've created. I'd probably have a buck 75 by now :rofl::rofl::rofl::cool:

RedneckExpress 06-27-2016 10:52 AM

Might want to switch to uBlock Origin, AdBlock Plus now as a "paid" auto whitelist that allows certain ads through if the advertiser pays the Adblock plus folks some cash.

nothermark 06-28-2016 05:25 AM

My real point was directed at the ad suppliers. I am happy to read at my convenience if I have any interest in their product. I resent the blinky's because the demand my attention so I will *not* buy from anyone who persists in annoying me that way.

plasma800 06-28-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3135993)
My real point was directed at the ad suppliers. I am happy to read at my convenience if I have any interest in their product. I resent the blinky's because the demand my attention so I will *not* buy from anyone who persists in annoying me that way.

ahhh understood. :thumb:

The Logans 06-28-2016 08:56 AM

We switched to the Firefox browser, and it allows us to block all flash pop-ups unless we want to see them (it asks). I would never buy something from a "blinky", as they are so annoying, and they slow down the page loading.

nothermark 06-29-2016 05:09 AM

I also run Firefox. There is a lot of pressure to move away from flash because of all the security issues. The replacement seems to be animated .gif files which are just as annoying. There is also a lot of noise about using adblock on pages paid for by advertising. That is why I am perfectly happy to let advertising run as long as it does not cross over from being there to trying to dominated the page.

Podivin 06-29-2016 05:24 AM

I've taken to using the Opera browser because of it's ad blocking capabilities.
And I agree with northermark, I got tired of seeing the blinking, flashing and otherwise annoying ads. Many of the ads are for products that I might actually be interested in, or at least curious enough to click the ad to see what it's all about. However they go to such lengths to try and get my attention that it's backfired on them, since now I don't see their ads at all.

Andy R 06-30-2016 08:18 AM

I acquired iRV2 a long time ago. This discussion was brought to my attention so I took a look at things. In the past we just ran mostly ad network ads. In recent years we added smaller endemic advertisers (ie. RV related businesses) and put their button ads in the right hand column. I'm trying to understand what ads are blinking so much so we can try to get them toned down.

Are you all talking about the banner ad across the top (728x90) or top of the right hand column (300x250)? Or are you talking about the sponsor button ads on the rigth hand side?

Podivin 06-30-2016 08:40 AM

Hi Andy, thanks for chiming in!
For me the banner ad is less of an annoyance because I only see it for a while. As I scroll down into the forums that ad scrolls off the top. Also it was only moving at first, clearly a little something just to get my attention as it was 'drawn' on the screen. After that it just sat there (good ad, sit - stay. :) )

As I sit here now the sponsor ads on the right hand side are:
Non-moving Newmar and SMI ads
'Truma Endless Hot Water' is changing screens every second or so.
RV Upgrades is flashing 'Find out how'
Acme Tow dolly is flashing 'BUY IT NOW' and also changing screens.
5 Star Tuning is changing screens every few seconds.

I refreshed the screen;
Still have the Truma ad doing it's thing.
Now have TVFORMYRV.com changing screens every second or so.
RV Upgrades is still 'find out how'
North Trail RV is changing screens every second or so
Both Newmar and SMI MFg still there and non-moving.
So out of 6 ads on the side, 4 of them are 'blinking' in some way or another. It's all really too 'busy' and annoying.

Andy R 06-30-2016 08:56 AM

Podivin,

Thanks for the feedback, I understand which ads you are talking about now. I will talk with some folks to see how we can address it. The last thing we want is sponsors getting more and more blinky just to get your attention.

Andy

Podivin 06-30-2016 09:02 AM

You're quite welcome, happy to help. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
In MY opinion, if they just slowed down the refresh rate of the ads it would go a long way. A refresh of every second seems a bit excessive (though I understand they want to catch us before we click to a new page), multiple ads refreshing that often becomes annoying. I think if they slowed down to a refresh of every 10 seconds, or maybe even every 5, it would go a long way towards making things 'calmer' on the right side of the screen.
And really, this is a forum, we hang out on pages for a while reading stuff, it's not like we're changing pages every few seconds. (My guess is that you've got stats somewhere that back that up, something that shows how long people average on a page, or between clicks).

Podivin 06-30-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy R (Post 3139428)
... The last thing we want is sponsors getting more and more blinky just to get your attention.

Andy

Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm here??
:D

We all know that the sponsors want our attention, but there must be other ways to go about it.

Hey, I bought shocks from Ultra RV Products, does that count for anything?? :)

Andy R 06-30-2016 09:30 AM

The way we addressed animation in the past was with very little rules. We basically put a file size limit on the ads so that they had to be under 20KB. Our thinking was that doesn't allow space for much animation. A year or two ago we had a sponsor who wanted to bring over an ad they already made from another site and it was bigger so we increased the size to 40KB. I did this reluctantly only after consulting the IAB to see what they suggest for file sizes. It looks like between now and then our vendors have squeezed every last bit of animation that they can into the 40KB. The unintended consequence of that change was ads that our users feel are more distracting. What we need to do now is find a balance. I will talk to our team and come up with something so it can ensure iRV2 members have a pleasant experience on our community.

Andy R 06-30-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podivin (Post 3139446)

We all know that the sponsors want our attention, but there must be other ways to go about it.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. They could spoil our party if left without any rules. Once someone makes an ad that stands out more the others will follow and it could get ugly. We need to find a balance where they can get their message across but not in a way that is distracting.

Quote:

Awesome! I'm sure they appreciate the business and we are glad they are a supporter of our community.

BFlinn181 06-30-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

:D

Andy, I didn't read it as a sarcastic response. I try not to read meanings behind meanings. I figured you were sincere in trying to improve the forum. I know that's what you get the big bucks for. (NOW THAT'S SARCASM)

The Logans 06-30-2016 02:39 PM

Well, I'm kind of new here, but just my two cents worth...

As a recently retired Information Security Manager, the more incessantly flashing, blinking, and generally annoying an ad is, the more likely it is that I don't want any part of it. Unfortunately, ad's that misdirect to a site ready to deliver a payload of malware, are all to common... and the ad's that wave and scream "look at me and click here" are good ones to stay away from.

JMHO

NLOVNIT 06-30-2016 10:13 PM

To address the obnoxious ads in the right column, members do have the option of turning that column off:
User CP
Edit Options

However, that also removes the Recent Discussions block, which many members like. Although you can see those top 12 anyway if you click on the New Posts tab.

While Andy works on trying to reduce the blinky ads, at least this is an option for ignoring them.

Lori-

TVforMyRV 07-01-2016 07:04 AM

Wow, glad this came up.... I have a new banner in the works and I'll be sure to tell them "no blinky".

Also it's helping me confirm my decision to NOT spend multiple THOUSANDS of dollars to support the forum next year.

So, My blinkie ads will go away soon. and eventually all of them.

nothermark 07-01-2016 08:26 AM

FWIW this was the discussion I was hoping for. I agree with Podivin and the comment about blinky adds often being traps. I will add that the products here are generally not impulse purchases. We do not need to be lured in. If we need a something we would like to come here and see who is supporting the site so we can give them our business instead of missing them because we are blocking the annoying advertising that distracts from the discussion.

BFlinn181 07-01-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVforMyRV (Post 3140578)
Wow, glad this came up.... I have a new banner in the works and I'll be sure to tell them "no blinky".

Also it's helping me confirm my decision to NOT spend multiple THOUSANDS of dollars to support the forum next year.

Sorry you feel that way. Only you can access whether advertising dollars spent in a place that brings people with the exact focus of interests that are your target audience or doing your advertising in a more general way is as efficient.

I would just take the opinions of those that have expressed them here that they are annoyed by distracting, blinking ads and design future ads that offer true value, information, and interest to attract RV owners into visiting your website.

Also as an aside, your threat to pull all ads and support from the website is not a real positive comment on your business. You're admission that, "My blinkie ads will go away soon" shows you're guilty of blinkie ads and you've learned from some forum members that their annoyance outweighs their business attraction. I'd take this thread as an education on how to structure future ads to gain business and not drive customers away.

Jim T. 07-01-2016 10:09 AM

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused! I access iRV2 on my Apple iPhone and I don't see any ads, blinky or otherwise. What have I done wrong (sarcasm)?

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service

nothermark 07-02-2016 04:11 AM

FWIW you probably have an ad blocker running so you do not see the advertising and a lot of other stuff worth seeing.

Jim T. 07-02-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3141870)
FWIW you probably have an ad blocker running so you do not see the advertising and a lot of other stuff worth seeing.

You are correct. I have 1Blocker installed. It does it's job quite well. So well, in fact, that I had completely forgotten about it.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service

Andy R 07-02-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about this. We very much appreciate the vendors who show their support by advertising here (such as yourself). We are working through this issue together and although I think your posts was a bit negative, I still respect your feedback.

Over the last few days we have discussed this issue and come up with what we think is a reasonable solution to overly blinky ads (designed to grab attention). We have decided to require the time between frames to be 5 seconds and advertisers should refrain from using methods specifically designed to blink just to grab attention. That's not too much to ask, only impacts a handful of the worst offender, it should be a nice balanced approach.

As for your decision to leave, activity is up 50% year-over-year. We had 916,000 sessions (visits) from 542,000 unique readers in just the last 30 days! We hope a few hundred bucks a month is a good value to reach half a million RVers. If the ads were not successful that's one thing but please don't shame us over our policies change because you are unhappy. We are just trying to protect our members.

sdennislee 07-02-2016 10:34 AM

FWIW I will click on the one or more of the 4 ads at the bottom of the page, I can't remember clicking on any of the other ones

NLOVNIT 07-02-2016 03:01 PM

Thank you for chiming in this thread, Andy. I'm sure it's difficult trying to achieve a balance which provides a happy experience for our members as well as satisfy our Sponsor's wants & pays the bills to keep the site free. We know you can't please everyone & appreciate finding a compromise.

Lori-

nothermark 07-02-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

What would be interesting to know is why you think you need to run blinky advertising.

I took a look at your site where it appears you have nice stuff at discounted prices. Assuming I needed something I would normally click on your ad assuming I saw it. The problem for you is that I turned you off because you were so annoying. I would really prefer your ad was here as you are right off one of my main travel corridors.

Podivin 07-02-2016 03:30 PM

Andy, thanks for making the changes, AND for keeping us in the loop, it's much appreciated!

Lori, thanks for the suggestion of disabling the right column, but like you mentioned, I love the 'recent discussions' frame as well as the campground reviews and RVLife articles - so I choose to keep it there. It is nice to know that's an option though.

TVforMyRV 07-04-2016 06:26 PM

First, I will apologize... My post was a little testy, and just because I may have been having a bad day, I need to keep that to myself.

I guess I should say that I didn't originally realize my ads were considered "blinky". I was merely trying to put as much information in the ad as possible and still be able to read it. If I put an image of an ice maker up, you might assume I have refrigerator parts, would you also assume from the icemaker picture that I sell other things too? The intent was to show we're not a one trick pony, and that we have many things available, for many different RVers.

Andy is right, there must be a way to come to a middle ground. I'm look forward to having a new banner to present for peer review.

sdennislee 07-04-2016 06:33 PM

Glad to hear you are staying.

You offer a nice diversified selection for RV'ers. Love one stop shopping.

I for one am more likely to purchase from a vendor that is part of the forum and supports the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVforMyRV (Post 3145599)
First, I will apologize... My post was a little testy, and just because I may have been having a bad day, I need to keep that to myself.

I guess I should say that I didn't originally realize my ads were considered "blinky". I was merely trying to put as much information in the ad as possible and still be able to read it. If I put an image of an ice maker up, you might assume I have refrigerator parts, would you also assume from the icemaker picture that I sell other things too? The intent was to show we're not a one trick pony, and that we have many things available, for many different RVers.

Andy is right, there must be a way to come to a middle ground. I'm look forward to having a new banner to present for peer review.

Dr4Film 07-04-2016 06:41 PM

I use Ad Blocker and Ad Blocker Plus for all of my Internet use. When I last looked at the main page of iRV2.com, each had blocked 15 ads.

I come to this site for reading about people's problems and hopefully help to solve some of them. I don't come here to read about stuff that I should buy.

They get my $15.03 every year so I don't feel bad not reading ads.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

nothermark 07-04-2016 06:53 PM

FWIW - the issue is the ads that keep changing while we are trying to read a paragraph or two near them. We go though pages fairly quickly. If the same ad changed every time we load a page I would think you could do the equivalent exposure without the annoyance.

TVforMyRV 07-06-2016 12:26 PM

The new banners are active... Please give me your feedback....

nothermark 07-07-2016 07:52 AM

I turned ad blocker off to make sure I was not blocking anything instead of trying to un set some selective blocking. So far it looks good.

This is a good page to leave the advertising on if it is not too distracting. Stuff we sometimes need as well as supporting the site.

Podivin 07-07-2016 08:03 AM

Don, those are much less 'frantic', thank you!
By my very unscientific method of looking at the clock on my PC it looks like they refresh about every 4 seconds, that's a nice improvement over the others.
I agree with northermark, this is a good site to see the ads on because they are directly related to things I'm interested in, if not actively looking for.

nothermark 07-07-2016 07:47 PM

Back after a busy day and some time on the computer with adblock off. My basic observation is that anything above the first question is fair game. We get to see it but it scrolls off as we get into the questions. Most of the right side is not too bad but there is somebody with a blinking sun the is particularly distracting.

The issue in a nutshell is that once we get down into the questions it is very distracting when trying to work though somebody's description of a problem they do not understand so we can give them some basic help figuring out why their house battery is not charging or something similar.

sdennislee 07-08-2016 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVforMyRV (Post 3148229)
The new banners are active... Please give me your feedback....

Nicely done :thumb:

TVforMyRV 07-08-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podivin (Post 3149387)
Don, those are much less 'frantic', thank you!
By my very unscientific method of looking at the clock on my PC it looks like they refresh about every 4 seconds, that's a nice improvement over the others.
I agree with northermark, this is a good site to see the ads on because they are directly related to things I'm interested in, if not actively looking for.

Hmm. Not sure why they would be refreshing. They are single fixed images. There are two slightly different images, but my understanding is the iRV2 ad server randomly chooses which one you see, but should not rotate them while you are on a page.

BlueMoose105 07-08-2016 11:49 AM

FYI, here is a link to a short video of the TV For My RV ad that I just captured:
TV_For_My_RV_ad_2016-07-08

TVforMyRV 07-08-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMoose105 (Post 3151274)
FYI, here is a link to a short video of the TV For My RV ad that I just captured:
TV_For_My_RV_ad_2016-07-08

Ah, OK. I thought the issue was with the large banner at the top of the forum...

TVforMyRV 07-08-2016 12:31 PM

I changed the refresh speed so it should only update at half the previous rate. If you read fast, you'll never see the other frames...

sdennislee 07-08-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdennislee (Post 3150715)
Nicely done :thumb:

My comment was for the banner at the top

BlueMoose105 07-09-2016 12:55 PM

Just noticed a page banner ad for TvForMyRV.com for the Maximum Signal cellular booster, and it is static, not 'blinky'.

Personally, I was never bothered by any of the 'blinky' ads, but I agree that they should be slowed to about 4-5 seconds. The advertisers are just trying to include as much information about their products and services as possible. And if I am interested in what they are advertising, I don't want to spend more than 20-30 seconds reading their full ad.

NLOVNIT 07-10-2016 07:52 PM

I can understand why some businesses use the obnoxious, rapidly blinking ads. Those types of ads are aimed at people who are surfing webpages, often spending only a couple seconds on any one page before moving on. Businesses have to get your attention, before you change pages, in the hopes you'll click & eventually buy.

That's not the case on iRV2. Many of us spend a great deal of time on just one page - especially if we're reading an entire thread & our posts per page is set to 50. I know I can easily spend 30 minutes on just 1 page if I'm researching a Reported Post & trying to figure out when the discussion went haywire/got derailed & what to do about it. In these cases, there's no need for some blinky ad screaming "LOOK! LOOK! LOOK!" every second. There's already a built-in market here so there isn't a reason to annoy us with blinkies.

We thank those that tone it down....& may possibly buy from you because of doing that.

Lori-