iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Bus and truck lanes (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bus-and-truck-lanes-298167.html)

lakewoodpaul 07-04-2016 03:04 PM

Bus and truck lanes
 
Which lane do you use when the sign says " Trucks and buses use left lane" I think we should use that lane?:confused::confused:

TonyDi 07-04-2016 03:10 PM

Because my MH is the size of a bus, I stay in the lanes designated for buses.

BW in TX 07-04-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyDi (Post 3145247)
Because my MH is the size of a bus, I stay in the lanes designated for buses.

Same here.

palehorse89 07-04-2016 06:02 PM

Thinking those lanes are for passenger/tour/transit buses........
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_lane

jelag 07-04-2016 06:07 PM

In some communities they divert truck and bus traffic for safety reasons... as you travel down the Grapevine heading south as I remember CAL DOT diverts the larger slower traffic to clear the highway for the faster vehicles... with safety in mind I follow the truck/bus lane when requested...

NLOVNIT 07-04-2016 06:10 PM

We move to the truck/bus lane. The situations where this occurs is usually when construction turns the right most lane into driving on a road's berm. The berm isn't substantial enough for heavy vehicles such as ours.

Lori-

Selah 07-04-2016 07:55 PM

i always follow truck lane assignments. The "Trucks use left lane" signs are mostly found in construction areas where they have shifted the lanes to the right. The new right lane now uses all or part of the normal berm which is not designed to handle the weight of big trucks.
Same for "No trucks left lane", I don't use the left lane.

Rich-n-Linda 07-04-2016 08:16 PM

The usual reason for a lane restriction is physical. It could be an overhead or horizontal clearance issue, a weight issue or some other physical reason why the highway department wants large vehicles to use a certain lane.

So...I always use the truck/bus lane when requested.

palehorse89 07-04-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul (Post 3145240)
Which lane do you use when the sign says " Trucks and buses use left lane" I think we should use that lane?:confused::confused:

I misunderstood the question:facepalm: To late to correct my post.......
By all means, when the sign says that..........use the left lane.
Sorry for my previous post..........

Waiter21 07-05-2016 07:44 AM

Yes; a couple reasons

These are generally in construction areas.

Maintaining distance from the wall, I find it a lot easier to hug the left wall than the right wall.

On/Off traffic, having the trucks in the left lane makes it easier (safer) for vehicles entering/leaving the highway

Lv2Roam2 07-05-2016 10:13 AM

Another reason to follow the signs is the potential for wind shear in the driving lanes through mountain passes and in open prairie. In western S.D. this past week we've routinely had gusts to 40 knots ... safe travels ...

MSHappyCampers 07-05-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiter21 (Post 3146144)
Yes; a couple reasons

These are generally in construction areas.

Maintaining distance from the wall, I find it a lot easier to hug the left wall than the right wall.

On/Off traffic, having the trucks in the left lane makes it easier (safer) for vehicles entering/leaving the highway


I have to admit that it's for that reason I keep right! They usually have concrete barriers VERY close to the left marker line for that lane. My wife is terrified when we drive that close to the barriers, and it makes me really nervous! :eek:

If it's not a construction area and they say "trucks use left lane", then I do it! :thumb::D

Cat320 07-07-2016 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda (Post 3145669)
The usual reason for a lane restriction is physical. It could be an overhead or horizontal clearance issue, a weight issue or some other physical reason why the highway department wants large vehicles to use a certain lane.

So...I always use the truck/bus lane when requested.

Same here...normally size is the reason.

jrusselltx 07-07-2016 04:28 PM

In general I agree, but there is another category of "Bus Only Lanes". These are generally specified for mass transit busses to speed them along ahead of other traffic. It might not be a good idea to put an RV in one of those lanes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.