iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Excel Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Pantry back brace needs support (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/pantry-back-brace-needs-support-298513.html)

CARLnJANIS 07-06-2016 06:14 PM

Pantry back brace needs support
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks,

I have a problem with the pantry drawers and was wondering if others with a similar year/model are having the same problem. When pulling out a drawer, the back brace flexes about a half inch or so before the catch releases. When the brace snaps back, one or more drawers will also release and slid open.

Attachment 132233

The block attached to the back brace is not attached to the wall. Should it be? I do not remember the drawers flexing the back brace when we first bought the trailer. Are the blocks attached to the back brace also supposed to be attached to the wall?

There seems to be a wall stud just to the left of the block. I thought I would attach a small angle bracket to the block and wall stud to stabilize the back brace. Not sure how the wall is constructed. Anything I should be aware of, such as electrical. Seems the wall studs are a 2x3, am I correct?

Attachment 132234

Hey Rockin', I did attach some pictures. :D

Workshop 07-06-2016 08:01 PM

I don't have that style of pantry slide but understand the problem. I believe adding the L bracket will secure the back brace. Would guess it was glued at assembly and over the years and use broke connection. It wouldn't hurt as your already there to add a couple more going down the back brace....might want too spray the catches with silicone to make them catch easier.

Wonder if the screw just goes into the block or through an into the wall?

workhorse

CARLnJANIS 07-06-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workshop (Post 3148758)
It wouldn't hurt as your already there to add a couple more going down the back brace....might want too spray the catches with silicone to make them catch easier.

Wonder if the screw just goes into the block or through an into the wall?

Workhorse, thanks for the suggestion. I think one more in the middle is a good idea.

If the screw does go through the block and into the wall, all it had to screw into was the thin paneling because the screw missed the stud.

CARLnJANIS 07-20-2016 09:35 AM

I added the angle brackets to the wood blocks and screwed the brackets into the wall stud. The crossbars joints were very weak. The board running up and down was one piece. The horizontal boards are butted to the center board and fastened with what looked like staples. As an over-engineer, I would have used a crossed lap joint, gluing and stapling the joint.

I did add another block just above the center crossbar attaching it to the wall with an angle bracket. The back brace is now very stable and, in fact, the drawers are easier to pull out without the flex of the back brace.

I didn't get any pictures. My phone was just about out of juice. I will take some pictures next week when I start loading the trailer up for our trip.

CARLnJANIS 08-04-2016 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the pictures of the reinforced pantry. The center brace I added had to be placed at an angle because the wall stud was not where I expected it to be. The stud was not plumb.

Attachment 134932

rockintom 08-08-2016 09:39 PM

Thanks for the update, Carl. Looks funky, but the main thing is it works!!!

CARLnJANIS 08-09-2016 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockintom (Post 3200160)
Thanks for the update, Carl. Looks funky, but the main thing is it works!!!

Funky!!! With the sliding drawers in and the pantry door closed, it look awesome. :D

I believe in the KISS methodology. The most simple solution is usually the best.

drfife 08-10-2016 10:25 AM

I had my pantry reinforced under warranty at Smith Center a couple of years ago on my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE. No issues since. They did a beautiful job. Definitely over engineered repair.:dance:

CARLnJANIS 08-10-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfife (Post 3202187)
I had my pantry reinforced under warranty at Smith Center a couple of years ago on my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE. No issues since. They did a beautiful job. Definitely over engineered repair.:dance:

I'm a certifiable over-engineer, well, at least certifiable. If I was a full-timer or even a summer-timer, I would have probably redesigned the whole pantry. A shortage of time and a full schedule forced me to take the most simplest course of action.

rockintom 08-10-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS (Post 3202429)
I'm a certifiable over-engineer, well, at least certifiable. If I was a full-timer or even a summer-timer, I would have probably redesigned the whole pantry. A shortage of time and a full schedule forced me to take the most simplest course of action.

Isn't that what I said? Of course I said it in Texican!!!! :laugh:

CARLnJANIS 08-10-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockintom (Post 3202532)
Isn't that what I said? Of course I said it in Texican!!!! :laugh:

Yea, but funky is not in my Southern Engineering handbook glossary. ;)

rockintom 08-10-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS (Post 3202549)
Yea, but funky is not in my Southern Engineering handbook glossary. ;)

So now ya know! I know where you stay in Burleson, I have a friend in Cleburne, which BTW is out there so far...it's where the chickens mess with the owls!!!! :laugh: :rofl: You ain't foolin' me none!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.