iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Towing a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/towing-a-2016-hyundai-veloster-hatchback-301832.html)

momdoc 07-29-2016 04:51 PM

Towing a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback

Ok we have given up on the Scion iA and are now looking at the Hyundai Veloster hatchback. Both Roadmaster and Blu-ox make tow plates of this vehicle. Does anyone have experience with this vehicle as a tow behind.

Thanks

Momdoc

lllkrob 07-29-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 3184773)
Ok we have given up on the Scion iA and are now looking at the Hyundai Veloster hatchback. Both Roadmaster and Blu-ox make tow plates of this vehicle. Does anyone have experience with this vehicle as a tow behind.

Thanks

Momdoc

As long as it is a manual transmission it can be towed 4 down. If it is an automatic the answer is NO it cannot be towed 4 down.

momdoc 07-30-2016 02:52 AM

Thanks it is a manual transmission.

momdoc

momdoc 09-01-2016 05:23 AM

Ok it is now a done deal. We have purchased the Veloster and have outfitted the rig with a blu ox tow system. We took our first road trip with it traveling from Tennessee to Florida. All went pretty well but still working out some issues. It seems that our Duo breaking system is working but the dash/front window light is not working so we will need to have that looked at. Also I am still trying to figure out how to retract and lock the blu ox tow bar when not in use.

Otherwise quite happy with the system

momdoc

FIRE UP 09-01-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 3234896)
Ok it is now a done deal. We have purchased the Veloster and have outfitted the rig with a blu ox tow system. We took our first road trip with it traveling from Tennessee to Florida. All went pretty well but still working out some issues. It seems that our Duo breaking system is working but the dash/front window light is not working so we will need to have that looked at. Also I am still trying to figure out how to retract and lock the blu ox tow bar when not in use.

Otherwise quite happy with the system

momdoc

Momdoc,
If I may ask, what EXACTLY does the owners manual say about Recreational Vehicle towing, (behind a motor home)? I ask that because, the last we considered purchasing one, we consulted either the Dinghy Towing Guide or, found an owners manual, and it stated it could not be towed either a stick or an automatic. But, that was a while ago so, maybe they've changed their tactics or, we're wrong, which is highly possible.
Scott

momdoc 09-02-2016 05:11 AM

Current manual does not mention RV towing so I called the factory rep and was told a manual can be towed four wheels down.

momdoc

LCRV 05-02-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 3236266)
Current manual does not mention RV towing so I called the factory rep and was told a manual can be towed four wheels down.

momdoc

How is the 2016 Veloster working out as a dinghy. I have a 2016 Veloster Turbo 6spd manual and am hoping to flat tow.

momdoc 05-02-2017 11:43 AM

LCRV we have no towed it for about 8,000 miles with no problems. We did have a break issue and found out it had been installed incorrectly. It was an easy fix and the original shop reimbursed us for the cost.
It is a fun car to drive when we are camped.
You can also to the turbo with no issues

momdoc

LCRV 05-02-2017 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply momdoc.

Is your Veloster keyed or does it have a push button ignition? Does your steering wheel lock when the ignition is turned OFF?

I have more questions but I'll start with these.

momdoc 05-03-2017 02:55 PM

It is a key start and yes the wheel will lock so you need to keep the key to ACC and transmission in neutral.

momdoc

jackfish 05-04-2017 08:19 PM

We've been towing a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE full time for three years and 33,000 miles. It has a similar drivetrain to the Veloster. It's been a great toad.

LCRV 06-04-2017 05:30 PM

Veloster as a toad?? Ignition set to ACC???

I just took my 2016 Veloster Turbo to the top of a long hill on a quiet road to see what happens when it is coasting with the push button ignition off. My wife locked me in the car and took the fob with her. She got into our second vehicle to follow me down the hill.

When I released the brake with the manual transmission in neutral... I began rolling forward. Before picking up too much speed... I turned the wheel left and right... doing a zigzag down the road. The steering definitely does not lock when the ignition is off. This is consistent with a 2012 Elantra that we owned that also had no locking steering column. My test also seems to show that there is no accumulation of miles/kilometers when rolling along with the ignition off. Now I just have to determine if any of the 12V outlets work when the ignition is OFF.

By the way, I have a letter from Hyundai Canada (word for word with a similar letter that I have seen from Hyundai USA) that states that Velosters with a manual transmission are flat towable. They do state, however, that the ignition must be on ACC to unlock steering (if equipped). I have to assume that some cars have locking steering and some don't.

momdoc 06-05-2017 12:57 PM

It is certainly true that we have to put our key start in the ACC mode to tow and release the wheels. We now have over 10,000 miles towing it and no problem. Next week we set off on a 5500 mile trip over 4 months with the Veloster in tow. And yes the I miles do NOT accumulate when we are towing. The odometer currently reads about 2800 miles.

momdoc