iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Rapid tire pressure loss (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rapid-tire-pressure-loss-309278.html)

Alphuse 09-21-2016 08:20 AM

Rapid tire pressure loss

This is a must watch video for rapid tire pressure loss or tire blowout.
How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires

4x4van 09-21-2016 10:28 AM

Seen this video many times; still don't buy it. The last thing I will ever do with a front blowout is floor the MH. I'm not advocating stomping on the brake either, obviously, but rather to let off the gas gently and start to brake gently while maintaining steering. Stepping on the gas only temporarily gets the pressure off that front tire; but that pressure will return as you release the gas anyway, only now you are traveling even faster.

Yes, I have experienced a front blowout, 2 times over the past 20 years, on my MH. Once at about 65mph on the freeway, once at about 55mph going DOWN an offramp as I was decelerating. Both times I simply let off the gas, gently applied the brakes, and brought the RV to a controlled stop.

Now my experience was in a large (27') class C rather than a class A; is it different in an A? Perhaps slightly, but I doubt that the difference is significant enough to warrant flooring the throttle pedal on the RV rather than a non-panic release and gentle braking.

:popcorn:

jimmy braden 09-21-2016 10:48 AM

I think the effort is more to improve driver confidence and (reduce) the subsequent alarm and over reaction from the blowout itself be less likely to end in the worst case scenario.

As far as adding power, not much happens when you add power (or even floor) a diesel at 55+mph so I don't think the directional dynamics issue is really viable. No doubt those conducting these test were quite familiar with the dynamics the coach experienced, they saw it countless times. In this scenario, the sidewalls did not physically disintegrate so the coach was able to ride on the smaller diameter without much drama.

In a more likely scenario (with a tire that has much more age), and potentially running at max pressure bc the operator might not have taken the time to verify weight, I think a complete disintegration (or very close) is much more likely and the tire diameter will effectively change by half. I can't see how that could be influenced to any degree with adding power. If you dont have a death grip on the wheel, its gonna be snatched away from you I would think and the coach is going that direction - no if ands or buts.

Mr_D 09-21-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy braden (Post 3263419)
As far as adding power, not much happens when you add power (or even floor) a diesel at 55+mph so I don't think the directional dynamics issue is really viable.

Maybe not in some rigs but others do have more power.

jimmy braden 09-21-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 3263440)
Maybe not in some rigs but others do have more power.

As they were composing that tutorial for the lowest common denominator, I don't think that was something that could be considered a valid assumption across the board.

As the tire manufacturer, they should not be using that as any condition for the process.

Ray,IN 09-21-2016 09:05 PM

It really doesn't matter what you are driving, when a steer tire blows bad things can happen.
I would not be foolhardy and dismiss the Michelin blowout video. They did the testing to prove their procedure.