iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Do you do most of your cooking inside or outside the coach? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/do-you-do-most-of-your-cooking-inside-or-outside-the-coach-313047.html)

WyoFree 10-17-2016 06:37 PM

Do you do most of your cooking inside or outside the coach?

Hi guys,

Not long ago I posted a thread about True Induction Cooking asking do you have it and do you like it?

From the responses I received some comments were unexpected, saying they purchased a True Induction cooktop and use it outdoors. They said they do most cooking outside, not in the coach!

I'm curious how many do the same thing? How many cook outside as often as possible? Maybe even cook outside to put in the freezer to eat later?

MCJones 10-17-2016 06:45 PM

We cook inside most of the time but things like bacon or other things that throw fumes in the air we try to do outside. If it is nice out, why not pick up the induction plate and cook outside is what we think. jmo mark

vsheetz 10-17-2016 06:55 PM

Inside. Where the microwave is located. (-:

h20ski 10-17-2016 06:58 PM

Most outside except for microwave.

stepside454 10-17-2016 06:59 PM

Unless I'm grilling , usually inside. Air conditions, no bugs , all my utincils & ingredients are right there etc . I just find it easier .

quadder 10-17-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20ski (Post 3298853)
Most outside except for microwave.

We yanked our outside TV as soon as we got the bus home from the dealer. I installed a sound bar, and shelves to hold all of the cooking stuff that we usually use. Then I ran a quick connect to the passenger side for propane, to connect to the BBQ and portable fire pit.
So yes, we do almost all of our cooking outside.
Rob

WyoFree 10-17-2016 07:35 PM

I was a little surprised when some said they do most their cooking outside. But the more I thought about it, it does make sense to keep mess out if the coach if you can. As close as the couches etc are to the kitchen. Keeping smells, like bacon as mentioned earlier would be a good thing.

I've often thought making food that freezes well would make a lot of sense. Make the food outside and warm it up inside sounds good to me. The key for me would be the ability to cook it outside and clean up outside without a lot of hassle! Hauling everything in and out of the coach would get old in a hurry. Maybe if you could keep it in the basement?

lenkerb 10-17-2016 07:37 PM

inside,,,,use electric fry pan for breakfast, have a wolfgang puck pressurized oven for roasting, baking , toast, broiling, and warming....

rskrbina 10-17-2016 07:42 PM

Weather permitting, mostly outside.

KarenS144 10-17-2016 07:45 PM

Outside. Grill, charcoal, dutch oven, camp stove and even the electric griddle.

I do use the microwave inside but mostly for defrosting or heating left overs. I have used the electric burners a few times.

Jacobnino 10-17-2016 07:47 PM

Outside most of the time

kgchampagne 10-17-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenkerb (Post 3298904)
inside,,,,use electric fry pan for breakfast, have a wolfgang puck pressurized oven for roasting, baking , toast, broiling, and warming....

I consider myself an accomplished cook, and i thought I owned every kitchen tool i would ever need, but a pressurized oven? I will be googling that one right now.

WDW 10-17-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgchampagne (Post 3298922)
I consider myself an accomplished cook, and i thought I owned every kitchen tool i would ever need, but a pressurized oven? I will be googling that one right now.

Look for a Smart Pot. The difference between it and copy cats is that it's all stainless steel.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

sask66 10-17-2016 08:04 PM

When the g kids are along we do the pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc. outside on our frying pan setup. When it's just g ma and I we go pretty light with toast inside. I almost always make coffee outside as I'm up earlier than DW. In the evening we usually BBQ something on the grill. If cooking inside we use the convection/microwave.

quadder 10-17-2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

We have one of those as well. They are great machines. We use ours outside though.
Rob

Mudfrog 10-17-2016 08:23 PM

Breakfast is usually inside. The other meals, at least the main courses, are prepared more outside. But even when using the grill, there are always side dishes that are heated in the microwave or cooked on top of the stove inside.

Ludmilla 10-17-2016 09:32 PM

We almost always cook inside where we have everything. We just purchased a one burner portable induction cooktop and use that most of the time. We have a Instant Pot electric pressure cooker at home and just love it. It would be a great cooker for on the road.

BillL 10-17-2016 09:56 PM

When traveling we usually cook inside. Once we get one place for a while, I grill outside a lot while DW does side dishes inside. Leftovers are great too.

Hit_the_Rhod 10-17-2016 10:07 PM

Inside unless we're grilling!:D As mentioned before, that's where all the spices, utensils, etc are, almost as if it were a real kitchen!:whistling: Oh, wait, it IS a real kitchen, why not USE it?:dance:

twogypsies 10-17-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepside454 (Post 3298855)
Unless I'm grilling , usually inside. Air conditions, no bugs , all my utincils & ingredients are right there etc . I just find it easier .

Agree. That's why we cooked and ate inside, except for grilling. Being full-timers it was our home so it just seemed natural to us. We don't like hauling everything outside and back inside.

steve11669 10-17-2016 10:57 PM

Mostly inside but if I fry, cook bacon, fish or fry tortillas into chips, I put the electric pan outside.

Sidenote;
I've been wanting (procrastinating) to install a sidewall vent cover behind the stove fan to send the air outside. Right now the fan just blows it back into the room.

gabirdsall 10-17-2016 11:48 PM

Exclusively outside. Had a travel trailer for 15 years, never even lit the stove...we've had the class a for 3 years and haven't cooked anything inside. Under the awning or EZ Up depending on weather...

HavingABlast 10-18-2016 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadder (Post 3298868)
We yanked our outside TV as soon as we got the bus home from the dealer. I installed a sound bar, and shelves to hold all of the cooking stuff that we usually use. Then I ran a quick connect to the passenger side for propane, to connect to the BBQ and portable fire pit.

Rob

To answer your question...most cooking is done inside of the coach. I do love to grill outside.

I also have a Ventana. Do you have a pic on where you mounted the LP quick connect? I was thinking that the only place that is vented is back on the door side where the chassis batteries are placed. But that is close to the engine and exhaust.

dix39 10-18-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 3298849)
Inside. Where the microwave is located. (-:

Us too! There also seem to be fewer biting insects in there.

Steve

marjoa 10-18-2016 05:06 AM

Quote:

D you know what the wattage pull is on these units?

Shaky 10-18-2016 05:09 AM

We usually cook inside depending on the weather and how long we intend to remain at a particular park. I will use park provided charcoal pits if available, other wise I have a couple of electric grills that I use outside. I turn on some music and grill buffalo burgers, or brats and we sit outside and enjoy our meal.

PanJH 10-18-2016 07:02 AM

I cook outside-- have a grill,crock pot,induction burner,griddle,etc, all in a bay slide out. Other than a few microwave dishes, we have never cooked in any of our coaches.

Statgeek 10-18-2016 07:08 AM

We cook most dinners outside. Breakfasts are mostly outside too, unless weather prohibits it. The exception is that I typically pack up all of my outdoor cooking stuff the night before we leave a campground, in which case the departure breakfast will be quick and easy and indoors.

HD4Mark 10-18-2016 07:21 AM

Mostly outside. We use the BBQ grill a lot. Just replaced the last rusted out cheapo table top LP grill with a stainless steel. I will save a piece of cardboard or put aluminum foil on the picnic table to protect it unless grills are prohibited on the CG table. If so we have a small folding table.

We also take along a 35,000BTU propane burner. Great for blackening fish or my home brewing. A single burner electric and a electric griddle. DW passes things out the side window to me and I hand whats cooked back in the door if eating inside.

The main exceptions are anything done in a crock pot, although we have had them on the picnic table, and stuff that is microwaved like soup.

petrel 10-18-2016 07:25 AM

Almost all meals are prepared outside, with the following exceptions: during blowing rain, in the presence of swarming insects, the coach is moving, or we need the microwave for Stouffer's lasagne:D

However, we're cooking for a family of six. I could definitely see meal preparations being streamlined and often brought inside if it was just the DW and me.

twojayhawks 10-18-2016 08:33 AM

Probably 80/20 in/out. We carry a baby Webber grill for when the weather is nice. Otherwise we find the inside kitchen set up to be great. No issues with the True induction or the convection microwave.

nothermark 10-18-2016 09:18 AM

Interesting. I once asked another group why A's pulled in, leveled, hooked up, closed the curtains and effectively dissapeared. I was told to mind my own business. Now it appears there are some folks who go outside...

To keep on topic, other than the occasional grilling we cook and eat inside. That is why we switched from a tent to a portacabin. ;-)

beenthere 10-18-2016 12:40 PM

i dont think we ever used our oven all the rvs we have had.. and my coach came new with stock option Weber Q with the stand and propane quick connect on patio side..and i still take my Camp Chief 3 burner stove with the big grill that sits on top.. if in a larger group and take turns with breakfast we usually do the omelet in the boil bag and always a hit.. im sure most of you know how to make but for those that dont.. boil large pot of water. have qrt baggies for everyone and then couple dozen fresh eggs and bowl of cheese and onions and green peepers and if want meat precook some bacon and crumble or sausage ect and every one takes a bag and put in as many eggs as you want then all the other ingredients, seasonings, and then boil for about 12+ minutes.. and then pour on plate fand enjoy..

WyoFree 10-18-2016 01:02 PM

Beenthere, Never did hear of omelet in the boil bag but it sounds very interesting and fun as well. Does it come out in omelet fashion or more like a soufflé fashion?

Next trip to the grocery store next week I'll get the necessary items and try it out!

BTW you can put a standard quart baggie in boiling water?

twogypsies 10-18-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoFree (Post 3299771)
Beenthere, Never did hear of omelet in the boil bag but it sounds very interesting and fun as well. Does it come out in omelet fashion or more like a soufflé fashion?

Next trip to the grocery store next week I'll get the necessary items and try it out!

BTW you can put a standard quart baggie in boiling water?

It makes a fun easy breakfast. Try it!!! It's very popular to do in the desert gatherings of Quartzsite, AZ. For our large group of 100+ close friends :) we have 4 large canning-size pots going and everyone brings ingredients. Yes, you use a heavy-duty freezer type Ziploc baggie. We've never had one break. The omelet just rolls out in a roll when finished. You don't fill the bag with the mixture as it needs room to expand.

For these large gatherings we all share meals outdoors - pancakes, ice cream ball toss, chili cook-offs, Mexican nights, normal potlucks, turkey in a trash can, happy hour snacks, etc. These are really great fun experiences.

WyoFree 10-18-2016 01:23 PM

Fascinating, I never heard of anything like it and look forward to trying it out! And I'm sure it's a lot of fun, especially for those like myself who never heard of it or had it before. Then if it actually tastes good, so much the better!!! :)

Cranemec 10-18-2016 01:48 PM

About half and half. We grill a lot and do breakfast outside but when we are traveling and only stop for the night, we cook inside.

Bubba1 10-18-2016 01:53 PM

It's about 60/40 for us. 60% inside the rest out. Mainly depends on weather and bugs. We carry a small rotisserie oven and propane grill for outdoor cooking and use single burner induction plate when making side dishes outside. Most indoor cooking done in Instant Pot pressure cooker or on the single burner induction plate. Convection microwave oven used mainly for baking.

Mike H

beenthere 10-18-2016 05:25 PM

Dont be scared to try any ingredients you like. i use jalapenos. and this works with other things pre-made like stews chili and when some like it hot you have the option....we also have never had freezer bags melt or break...some that use so much cheese find out that enough is enough..and many different shredded cheeses. i knew other had to do it also...its so easy.. oh oh remember to have a sharpie to put your name on the bag...

twogypsies 10-18-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 3300040)
...its so easy.. oh oh remember to have a sharpie to put your name on the bag...

Right. Everyone makes their own omelet and they need to write their name on the bag so they get their own back. Ummmm.... getting hungry just thinking about it.

Spaceball 10-18-2016 07:13 PM

This thread is making me hungry.

I grille outside and everything else inside. I like to bake croissants and anpan (a Japanese sweetroll) in the old convection microwave.

purrin along 10-18-2016 08:16 PM

I grill with charcoal outside, and sides are cooked inside.Thanks for the tip on
omelets in a bag.Sounds like fun,and quick..

Hit_the_Rhod 10-19-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3299531)
Interesting. I once asked another group why A's pulled in, leveled, hooked up, closed the curtains and effectively dissapeared. I was told to mind my own business. Now it appears there are some folks who go outside...

We are in the stay inside club since it's just the two of us. A lot of our travel is in conjunction with Art Shows, and when we get back to the coach after being on our feet for 12 hours, we just want to get some supper and curl up with a book, so we may appear to be antisocial . Other times, and if the weather is particularly good, we will be outside, but usually somewhere else, not next to the coach!:dance:

Hawaii Dick 10-19-2016 08:08 AM

We like to cook outside whenever possible. Recently got rid of the gas burner and bought an induction cooker, pots and pans from IKEA. It is really a great way to go. It can also be used on the table to keep food warm.

Cpines 10-19-2016 01:01 PM

Grill outside whenever it is a protein that need a good char. We really enjoy the induction range and convection oven inside. Have done a prime rib with roasted baby potatoes in the convection oven. Veal Marsala with angel hair pasta (al dente) cooked on the induction. All cooked inside with the 55 inch tv streaming a movie and Manhattans on the rocks. We do have cocktails outside as well but the dishware goes into the inside dishwasher daily!! It helps that the coach has a vent from the range and convection oven to the outside. Just like home. This is our tiny house.

bruceisla 10-19-2016 01:10 PM

Many meals are a combination. My wife will make a salad inside or heat a side in the microwave while I grill a pork loin and vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, etc.) We stay out of each others way and keep the mess outside. We come together either inside or at the picnic table.

jmzumer 10-19-2016 02:06 PM

Definitely everything I can outside. We go out to enjoy the outdoors and that's part of it. Someone said pressure cooker....I have a 4-quart in the rig as well as a slow cooker. At home when I make soups I freeze part of it to use when we're out, and the pressure cooker I can make just about anything in a short period of time and we love it. Our rig has mirrors behind the stove inside and it get smolicked (!) up so easily if I cook anything inside, so I don't. :D

dix39 10-19-2016 02:07 PM

I'm curious, how do the folks who cook and stay outside next to the RV deal with blood sucking insects?

I remember staying overnight at a campground in MN on our way to International Falls and then East to see as much as we could of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I was almost afraid to be outside long enough to take the garbage out. We only avoided a camper full of the little buggers because I devised a plan to walk away from the RV 20 or 30 yards, then turn and run full bore toward the RV and jump into the door my wife held open and immediately closed as soon as I was inside. We slept with them whining outside the vents trying to get inside. IMHO, cooking outside there would have been akin to suicide. Those little buggers also carry diseases.

And there have been many other times

The only way I would subject myself to insect attack is if I were being watched closely by a big game animal I was hunting with my bow, and that has happened.

Steve

bruceisla 10-19-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dix39 (Post 3301199)
I'm curious, how do the folks who cook and stay outside next to the RV deal with blood sucking insects?

I remember staying overnight at a campground in MN on our way to International Falls and then East to see as much as we could of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I was almost afraid to be outside long enough to take the garbage out. We only avoided a camper full of the little buggers because I devised a plan to walk away from the RV 20 or 30 yards, then turn and run full bore toward the RV and jump into the door my wife held open and immediately closed as soon as I was inside. We slept with them whining outside the vents trying to get inside. IMHO, cooking outside there would have been akin to suicide. Those little buggers also carry diseases.

The only way I would subject myself to insect attack is if I were being watched closely by a big game animal I was hunting with my bow, and that has happened.

Steve

Most of the places we have recently visited have been relatively bug free ... but, we eat early.

Hit_the_Rhod 10-20-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dix39 (Post 3301199)

Steve

Didn't you know? The Mosquito is the Minnesota State Bird!

georgelesley 10-20-2016 11:16 AM

Because of humidity we do as much as possible outside. If you must cook inside crack a window and have aa extractor vent on. Humidity control is critical in an rv, especially in cool or cold weather. Vent, vent vent!

king yankee 10-21-2016 09:00 AM

100% outside on a grill if we're having any meat, rving or home. Regardless of weather. I have grilled in snow storms, 100° weather, rain, you name it I've grilled in it.

HHg 10-21-2016 09:15 PM

We bought our 2013 Phaeton in late 2012. Weve scrambled some eggs once for breakfast. We always try to eat out and enjoy the community in which we are visiting. In other words, no, we really don't cook in our coach. I do grill quite often.

Hhg

2Labs 10-23-2016 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We cook outdoors a lot ... whether it's in the RV or at home. Doesn't matter the season, for some things the grill just produces the best results.

Tonight's dinner ... sausage, peppers & onions cooked on a cast iron griddle - over the heat on our weber grill. Pasta cooked inside since I don't have a side burner.

twojayhawks 10-23-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Labs (Post 3306953)
We cook outdoors a lot ... whether it's in the RV or at home. Doesn't matter the season, for some things the grill just produces the best results.

Tonight's dinner ... sausage, peppers & onions cooked on a cast iron griddle - over the heat on our weber grill. Pasta cooked inside since I don't have a side burner.

Huh...cooking for one I see! :laugh:

gtsum2 10-23-2016 09:31 PM

We Always cook outside except for using microwave for popcorn or such.

ernest917 10-23-2016 10:31 PM

Both - but I NEVER fry anything in my coach......

Scatterbrain 10-24-2016 04:31 AM

100% inside on my gas stove. My range vent goes outside so I don't have to worry about the smoke just be recirculated through the cabin. Turn the Fantastic Fan on to pull fresh air into the coach, let the vent push smokey air out of the coach. Growing up in wetlands areas on the east coast, I have developed a strong phobia of biting insects, and their ability to ruin an otherwise nice evening.
Where I'm from going outside in the late afternoon to evening is something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvnVDHdNzhg

I'm still getting used to the lack of mosquitoes out here, but I think I'll keep cooking inside anyhow.

mikensallyt 10-24-2016 05:31 AM

About half and half. There's just something about grilling outside though. Note: there's no better smell though than maple bacon inside or out.

RV_Fan33 10-24-2016 08:46 AM

Most meals usually prepared inside, but all the grilling is done outside, as long as the weather permits it!

redsucker 10-24-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadder (Post 3298868)
Rob

Interesting idea-would you happen to have pics; might do something similar

AggieDad 10-28-2016 09:11 AM

We don't cook much. The microwave is our friend, and a fridge with a huge freezer would be heaven.

And being "of an age," we find that restaurant meals are often more than we can eat, so take home boxes mean prepared meals.

If we do cook anything outside it will be steaks or chops on the George Foreman.