iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Dolphin electrical issues (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/dolphin-electrical-issues-315924.html)

TappinHammer 11-07-2016 01:38 PM

Dolphin electrical issues

I had a 1998 Dolphin 536S with a dead 12v battery. When I tried to jump-start it, the cables melted down (yes they were connected properly). Took the battery out and had it tested. Verdict was "reverse polarity" i.e. the negative post had positive charge and the positive post, negative. :blink: Any body else ever heard of this happening?

Replaced battery with a new one and now I have numerous problems. There are three cables attached to the positive post, two of which I can't identify and are causing problems when connected. The third cable when attached gives power to the engine (starting, dashboard, etc). When either of the other two are attached, hydraulic leveler pump actuates but there is no power to the control panel to level the vehicle.

I suspect the heavier of the two cables is for the "crossover" for starting boost but don't know for sure and don't understand why the leveler motor activates? :sad:

There is no power to the generator starter in any configuration of cables. Please don't tell me this is a fuse issue unless you can tell me where the fuse panel is, 'cause I've already checked all the fuses I can find.

What would go a long way toward solving the issue is a more detailed wiring diagram than the ones that are in the owner's manual.

Does anyone know where such a diagram can be obtained?

Tahiti16 11-08-2016 09:35 AM

The levelers require chassis battery to drive the pump and house battery for the control panel.

TappinHammer 11-09-2016 03:51 PM

Thank You for Responding

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tahiti16 (Post 3328667)
The levelers require chassis battery to drive the pump and house battery for the control panel.

Thanx for responding - I suspected as much but I still can't continue to TroubleShoot the system until I find detailed wiring plans that show cable color codes, fuse or circuit breaker locations, etc. Do you know where I can find them?

Fred and Bonnie 11-09-2016 04:10 PM

Not sure they ever existed to the consumer. I would suggest you join the National RV Owners section of Yahoo, some diagrams posted there.

Documentation is one thing National RV was never very good at providing documentation for the coach body.

Fred

TappinHammer 11-09-2016 07:32 PM

Thanks for Responding

Already been there, Fred - can't find anything other than the sales brochure and the spec sheet unless there is an archive somewhere on the site that is not readily viewable?

chboone 11-09-2016 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you have this for your BCC. The 150 amp breaker in the lower right corner is for the generator and jacks motor. It is mounted on the back of the board, you have to feel for the reset lever. However, since your jack motor runs doubt if it is trippped. As already posted probably never find a detailed wiring schematic.

TappinHammer 11-09-2016 10:09 PM

Thanks for Responding

Interrogative "BCC"?

Google found this drawing after I posted last response but I can't read the print (too blurry). Any thoughts wrt location of a cleaner copy? I assume this is the distribution panel in the bedroom?

chboone 11-09-2016 11:11 PM

BCC = Battery Control Center. That's the cleanest copy I have seen. You can get a better copy from RV Custom Products that made it but it won't have the description each fuse is for.
They will email it to you.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353

TappinHammer 11-10-2016 02:48 PM

Thanks for Responding

Thanx, I downloaded the pics and troubleshooting guide. By the sound of things this may be the root cause of all my issues. Before I cantact them, I'm going to check the BCC in my Dolphin for a part number.

TappinHammer 11-12-2016 08:40 AM

My BCC?

I believe this is my BCC (pic not attached - can't figure out how to upload from my PC) but it doesn't look anything like the pics I downloaded from RV Custom Products. Nothing appears to be overheated or damaged in any way but appearances can be deceiving so went thru the troubleshooting steps with no joy. I am stumped and still looking for a wiring diagram. There is no vender info on circuit board, unless its on the back side (I did not remove the board). Also, no response from the National RV forum at Yahoo.

TappinHammer 11-12-2016 09:00 AM

BCC help, please

1. With only one (red) cable attached to battery, engine starts and runs normally with power to dashboard equipment.

2. With second (red) cable attached, when ignition switch is in 'accessory' or 'start' position, hydraulic pump for levelers runs & quickly drains battery; no power to leveler control panel to stop pump.

3. With second (red) cable disconnected and third (smaller Wt/red striipe) cable attached, hydraulic pump runs even with ignition key in 'off/locked' position; power to leveler panel but shorts out & goes dead when any button is pushed, hydraulic pump still running; battery drains within minutes.

chboone 11-12-2016 08:24 PM

RV Custom Products does not have a Web site for downloading the documentation of their devices. When you call them Mary will ask for the year of your Dolphin and will email it to you. I got 7 pages of information from them didn't need the BCC P/N although I had it.
To upload pictures do a new post, scroll down until you see "manage attachments" click on the button a new window will open. In the new window click "choose file" find the file on your computer. Click on the file, when you see the file in the manage attachments window click on upload. When the upload is finished close that window, submit the reply. File has to be less then 3 MB to upload.
P.S. my BCC is in the right front compartment between the entrance door and right front tire. Guess the 98 is different.

chboone 11-12-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TappinHammer (Post 3333030)
1. With only one (red) cable attached to battery, engine starts and runs normally with power to dashboard equipment.

2. With second (red) cable attached, when ignition switch is in 'accessory' or 'start' position, hydraulic pump for levelers runs & quickly drains battery; no power to leveler control panel to stop pump.

3. With second (red) cable disconnected and third (smaller Wt/red striipe) cable attached, hydraulic pump runs even with ignition key in 'off/locked' position; power to leveler panel but shorts out & goes dead when any button is pushed, hydraulic pump still running; battery drains within minutes.

Have you double checked all the chassis grounds. Bad grounds can cause a lot of weird thinks to happen when voltage is looking for ground.

TappinHammer 11-12-2016 08:57 PM

My BCC?

1 Attachment(s)
Thanx for all the help, Chuck.

Nothing in the compartment directly behind the front right tire (except my "patio" stuff). This pic is for circuit board/fuse panel in bedroom. I believe this is my BCC but it doesn't look anything like the pics I downloaded from RV Custom Products. Nothing appears to be overheated or damaged in any way but appearances can be deceiving so went thru the troubleshooting steps with no joy. I am stumped and still looking for a wiring diagram. There is no vender info on circuit board, unless its on the back side (I did not remove the board). Also, no response from the National RV forum at Yahoo.

chboone 11-12-2016 09:23 PM

It appears you have a Intellitec BCC not a RV Custom Products. Can see the name at the bottom of the board below the 15 amp fuse.

RV & Motorhome

wa8yxm 11-13-2016 10:36 AM

I am guessing your statement "Yes the cables were connected properly" was wrong... I have seen cables "properly connected" on two occasions when they were, indeed, connected backwards. But the man insisted he'd done it right...

I'm trained differently so I got it started for him.

TappinHammer 11-14-2016 09:03 PM

Thank You for Responding

You are welcome to drop by and train me (but I will warn you that my wife says I am not trainable) if you think it will help. And your eyes are better then mine - intellitec, really? But that is beside the point, I am still in need of a wiring diagram before I can go much further - do you know where I can get accurate drawings? and locations of components (resets) that are not on the fuse panels?

chboone 11-14-2016 10:05 PM

As already posted it's very unlikely you will ever find a wiring diagram for your Dolphin. The best I can suggest is to isolate each circuit your having issues with and work out the problems one at a time.

chboone 11-14-2016 10:52 PM

The jack pump motor gets it's power through a relay mounted near the motor. Looks like an old style Ford starter relay. You might try removing one of the small coil wires off it and see if the jacks pump still runs when the cable is connected. If the pump doesn't run there maybe a problem with the jacks control board. Before you condemn the control board test if the relay contacts are welded shut by checking continuity of the relay. With power cable disconnected check for continuity of the two large terminals. If you have continuity through the relay it is bad. If you replace the relay make sure it is a constant duty one. A normally starter relay will over heat and burn the coil.

TappinHammer 11-15-2016 02:43 PM

Thanks for the advice

That's the best idea I've heard yet. I'm home right now but will be going back to the RV this weekend, with a little bit of luck.

TappinHammer 11-19-2016 08:30 PM

Still "no-joy"

Checked the relays to the jack control and battery cross-connect for continuity - both tested OK. I'm now fairly certain that the problem is in the jack control panel but the weather is headed south so probably won't get back to the RV before Tom's Cove Campground closes for the season at which time I'm locked out. Jacks will have to stay up (and wheels down) for the winter. :sad:

Thanks everyone for the support but I fear I'm heading for the RV Shop in the spring. Happy Thanksgiving to all.