iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   Bananas (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/bananas-319115.html)

WDW 12-05-2016 07:58 PM

Bananas
 
Do you wash your bananas once you bring them home from the store? Do they turn faster after washing them?


Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

NLOVNIT 12-05-2016 08:15 PM

I wash ALL produce - you never know who's touched, coughed or sneezed on them.

Lori-

momdoc 12-06-2016 09:58 AM

Nope just grab one off the trees in the back yard (really I do) and eat them. Talk about fresh!


momdoc

ModestMonk 12-06-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW (Post 3362149)
Do you wash your bananas once you bring them home from the store? Do they turn faster after washing them?


We bag them in the store, pulling them into the inside out bag. Rinse them at home. Set the green ones in the refrigerator and put some of the ripe ones in the fridge also to slow down the ripening.

Then we add them to our daily smoothies:dance:

Selah 12-06-2016 12:52 PM

Since I don't eat the banana peel, the answer is no.
Same with oranges.
Apples are a different story.

georgelesley 12-06-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selah (Post 3362983)
Since I don't eat the banana peel, the answer is no.
Same with oranges.
Apples are a different story.

I guess I am of the same belief everything else we buy anywhere could also be contaminated but we don't wash canned goods, meat packaging, cereal boxes, etc, etc. BTW, DW does wash bananas, something we disagree on.

NLOVNIT 12-06-2016 01:11 PM

For me it's the issue of contaminates on the skin can be transferred to the inside fruit because I'm touching both the outside (skin) & inside (flesh) when peeling certain fruits. That rarely happens with canned goods, cereals..etc. Although I do wash off the top of a can, so the can opener blade doesn't transfer anything to the contents because it seems there's always some juice that oozes out when using one.

I know!... the media & internet have made me too paranoid. Ironic because, as a kid, I drank water out of a garden hose that came from a cistern (does anyone even know what that is anymore?) that I used to drop dead frogs/bugs..etc, down the hole in the stone slab covering it.

Lori-

Klc 12-06-2016 01:21 PM

Good topic. I also was not concerned with germs until I got older. I have never washed a banana, but I just might start. I do wash all other produce that I eat the skin. I may begin washing oranges, avocados, etc. from now on. I do bleach my cutting boards etc. Just trying to stay healthy and avoid medical bills.

MSHappyCampers 12-06-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selah (Post 3362983)
Since I don't eat the banana peel, the answer is no.
Same with oranges.
Apples are a different story.


X2! :thumb::D

dix39 12-06-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 3363005)
For me it's the issue of contaminates on the skin can be transferred to the inside fruit because I'm touching both the outside (skin) & inside (flesh) when peeling certain fruits. That rarely happens with canned goods, cereals..etc. Although I do wash off the top of a can, so the can opener blade doesn't transfer anything to the contents because it seems there's always some juice that oozes out when using one.

I know!... the media & internet have made me too paranoid. Ironic because, as a kid, I drank water out of a garden hose that came from a cistern (does anyone even know what that is anymore?) that I used to drop dead frogs/bugs..etc, down the hole in the stone slab covering it.

Lori-

Well, if you're paranoid so are we because we do the same things for the same reasons.

We had a huge cistern when I was a kid in WV, but the drinking water came from a spring. All of it had to be carried in buckets to the house and there was the "house out back" that was really "uncomfortable" in the winter.

Just my 2c.

Steve

monkey 12-11-2016 01:47 PM

washing,,, as in "rinsing" ???? Or a soap/bleach solution??? Just wondering... I'm getting older too... getting sick is no fun anymore.....

Hooligan 12-11-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 3369659)
washing,,, as in "rinsing" ???? Or a soap/bleach solution??? Just wondering... I'm getting older too... getting sick is no fun anymore.....

There is no way I will attempt to give 'monkey" instructions on eating a banana. You"re on your own..

charliej 12-11-2016 06:49 PM

My Mother always said, "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die".

vsheetz 12-11-2016 06:56 PM

Stuff with an outer shell/peel/skin that I don't eat - no rinse. Otherwise, yes, rinse before enjoying. 63 and not dead, yet. (-:

F4Gary 12-11-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 3369954)
Stuff with an outer shell/peel/skin that I don't eat - no rinse. Otherwise, yes, rinse before enjoying. 63 and not dead, yet. (-:

This. I have never heard of washing bananas.

The paranoia and OCD on this sight is high.

dix39 12-12-2016 01:05 PM

I was thinking about this thread as I was cutting a banana up to put in my cereal. I have no idea how many people handled the thing before I got it. I also have no idea where those hands were before they handled it. To each his/her own, but I plan to err on the side of safety.

Steve

slickest1 12-15-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 3363005)
For me it's the issue of contaminates on the skin can be transferred to the inside fruit because I'm touching both the outside (skin) & inside (flesh) when peeling certain fruits. That rarely happens with canned goods, cereals..etc. Although I do wash off the top of a can, so the can opener blade doesn't transfer anything to the contents because it seems there's always some juice that oozes out when using one.

I know!... the media & internet have made me too paranoid. Ironic because, as a kid, I drank water out of a garden hose that came from a cistern (does anyone even know what that is anymore?) that I used to drop dead frogs/bugs..etc, down the hole in the stone slab covering it.

Lori-

Have you ever been to a place that cans food? I sometimes worry about the contents IN the can as much as the outside of the can.
That applies to anything packaged, how did it get in there? Who handled it before it got there?

I never drink out of a can whether it be a soft drink or beer or anything else.
How long has it been stored and where and what had been on it?

Paranoid? probably, but I have seen some things in these places that I won't share.
I have never washed Banana's, never really thought about that! HMMM!:blink::blink:

momdoc 12-17-2016 07:02 AM

Just ate my first "bought in US" banana in over a year. God it was awful, maybe washing it first may have helped. :) They taste like wood.


momdoc

Stripe34 12-17-2016 07:23 AM

This is such an interesting thread to me! I was raised playing in dirt & barn type surroundings. Then I got a rare cancer that actually works havoc on your immune system, long story short: bone marrow transplant and lifetime immune suppression.

There is a LOT of research and documented guidelines for sterilization and cleaning that is critical for immune suppressed patients. I had never seen washing of bananas or oranges recommended until now. The thing to think about, as more than one poster mentioned, is whether contents could be contaminated by exterior. So if you slice your banana, orange, watermelon etc from UNwashed exterior and across interior, yes, contamination could occur. As mentioned, this could also happen when opening cans and cracking eggs.

What I've come to realize after years of being forced to consider all this is - if you don't have to think about it, DON'T. You'll just drive yourself crazy and be unable to eat in a restaurant or use a public bathroom ever again :-)

- CC

slickest1 12-17-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripe34 (Post 3376980)
This is such an interesting thread to me! I was raised playing in dirt & barn type surroundings. Then I got a rare cancer that actually works havoc on your immune system, long story short: bone marrow transplant and lifetime immune suppression.

There is a LOT of research and documented guidelines for sterilization and cleaning that is critical for immune suppressed patients. I had never seen washing of bananas or oranges recommended until now. The thing to think about, as more than one poster mentioned, is whether contents could be contaminated by exterior. So if you slice your banana, orange, watermelon etc from UNwashed exterior and across interior, yes, contamination could occur. As mentioned, this could also happen when opening cans and cracking eggs.

What I've come to realize after years of being forced to consider all this is - if you don't have to think about it, DON'T. You'll just drive yourself crazy and be unable to eat in a restaurant or use a public bathroom ever again :-)

- CC

Yep. your right on. I try not to think of these things. My immune system is out of wack too and I have to be careful as well but where does it end.

monkey 12-18-2016 01:17 PM

I delivered to a hotdog factory a long time ago... Didn't eat another hotdog for years !!!!!

jlr44 12-20-2016 07:12 PM

We do try to wash our hands and keep things clean but we don't get out of sorts about being too clean. I don't think my parents washed half of the food they ate. It finally killed dad at 95 and mom is 97 and still drives.

Fiesta48 12-22-2016 09:11 AM

Wonder why there are so many allergies now?
We are too clean. Yes we should wash our hands often, but everything we touch, NO.

Stripe34 12-22-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiesta48 (Post 3383956)
Wonder why there are so many allergies now?
We are too clean. Yes we should wash our hands often, but everything we touch, NO.

***unless ordered to do so by your doctors :-)

texkayaker 12-26-2016 09:07 PM

I am 79 years old. When my 1st child was born my Mom who had 8 children came to help out. My wife got upset with her about sterilizing things. My Moms reply, all my children are healthy and doing well. Mom passed away this year at 100 years of age. All 8 of her offsprings still kicking. Just stop worrying about everything.

select55 12-26-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 3376956)
Just ate my first "bought in US" banana in over a year. God it was awful, maybe washing it first may have helped. :) They taste like wood.


momdoc

how would washing a banana help the taste?? or are you eating it skin and all

rvethereyet 12-27-2016 09:59 PM

nope

blang 12-28-2016 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW (Post 3362149)
Do they turn faster after washing them?

Everyone, so far, has missed what I perceived to be the jist of the question.

I think OP is asking if there is some kind of processor-added rinse (wax,chemical, who knows?) on a banana that inhibits ripening. And, if so, will washing off that inhibitor help the banana to ripen faster?

It seems like a very good question and I wish I knew the answer. So... will washing a banana help it to ripen faster?

h20ski 12-28-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blang (Post 3391207)
Everyone, so far, has missed what I perceived to be the jist of the question.

I think OP is asking if there is some kind of processor-added rinse (wax,chemical, who knows?) on a banana that inhibits ripening. And, if so, will washing off that inhibitor help the banana to ripen faster?

It seems like a very good question and I wish I knew the answer. So... will washing a banana help it to ripen faster?

Some bananas are gassed with Ethylene to speed up the ripening process. They are picked green and then shipped across some ocean then once in the US distribution process the pallets/cases are gassed to speed the ripening process. No one wants green bananas.

If you want your bananas to last longer ask your produce person for no gas bananas.

Ethylene is a natural and also given off by many fruits and vegetables.

This is all from my DW :) she is a produce manager in a major store chain.

I knew none of this until you folks brought it up.:eek:

Have a Happy New Year:D

Dave

jettyjock 12-28-2016 06:54 AM

This has nothing to do with bananas but with dirt.
In 69 I went 38 days without washing and wore the same clothes for 6 months.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.