iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Defrosters (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/defrosters-321618.html)

flynia 12-30-2016 06:29 AM

Defrosters

I have a questions for all of you on here, I'm leaving on a trip at the end of February, we're leaving from Iowa & going to Phoenix, Arizona. How well do the defrosters work in the Entegra's?, and has anyone installed fans below the overhead in the cockpit to help with defrosting the windshield. Thank you for the help.

Cruzer 12-30-2016 06:56 AM

They will work great once you get to Phoenix. :laugh:

Actually, they will work quite well. I had issues in our last coach, an Allegro Bus because the BTUs and CFM weren't high enough and the defroster vents weren't adequate to get what air did come out of the vents to the windshield. It always fogged in the corners and you couldn't see the mirrors. The Bus did have the overhead "trucker's" fans and we used them all the time to try to circulate air but the result was limited. WE also froze out feet from lack of heat and poor firewall insulation. On top of that there was no split setting on the heater control. You wither got all floor heat or all defroster but no half and half mix.

Driving our Entegra in winter is a dream compared to the Tiffin. There's more BTU in this heater/defroster and it moves more air volume (CFM). They also have the defroster vents located to actually wipe the entire windshield with airflow so I can still see my mirrors. And the superior firewall insulation means my feet don't freeze and the dash control even allows me to split the airflow between the defroster and floor heat vents. I'm very happy with this system and originally thought I would have to add the overhead trucker's fans but now I find I don't need to do that.

FWIW - I was impressed with the heating system in the American Eagle. They use a system with separate heat exchangers and blower fans for defroster and heater. It's a system like used in fire trucks and they will roast you right out of the cab if you crank them up.

flynia 12-30-2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzer (Post 3394131)
They will work great once you get to Phoenix. :laugh:

Actually, they will work quite well. I had issues in our last coach, an Allegro Bus because the BTUs and CFM weren't high enough and the defroster vents weren't adequate to get what air did come out of the vents to the windshield. It always fogged in the corners and you couldn't see the mirrors. The Bus did have the overhead "trucker's" fans and we used them all the time to try to circulate air but the result was limited. WE also froze out feet from lack of heat and poor firewall insulation. On top of that there was no split setting on the heater control. You wither got all floor heat or all defroster but no half and half mix.

Driving our Entegra in winter is a dream compared to the Tiffin. There's more BTU in this heater/defroster and it moves more air volume (CFM). They also have the defroster vents located to actually wipe the entire windshield with airflow so I can still see my mirrors. And the superior firewall insulation means my feet don't freeze and the dash control even allows me to split the airflow between the defroster and floor heat vents. I'm very happy with this system and originally thought I would have to add the overhead trucker's fans but now I find I don't need to do that.

FWIW - I was impressed with the heating system in the American Eagle. They use a system with separate heat exchangers and blower fans for defroster and heater. It's a system like used in fire trucks and they will roast you right out of the cab if you crank them up.

Thank you for your input !!

johnnyreno 12-30-2016 08:56 AM

Quick FYI. my defrost was not working so if you are having an issue my duct right behind the radio was not connected just remove that radio panel that's holding the screens 8 screws and make sure that 2 black 3 or 4 inch air duct feed lines are pushed on the plastic ducts that defrost the window. As mine were not and worked great immediately after that. Push in the camera cables to the multiplex switches while you are in there so your cameras connections are good and tight too. YOU will see the black coax cables going to a switch block in there.

RubiconTrail 12-30-2016 09:26 AM

While I was reading Mark's post all I could think of was, "Sure you weren't riding in my old Dutch Star"? It takes some time, but the Entegra defroster does work.

DSL417 12-30-2016 09:56 AM

If you get in an accumulating ice situation (easy in West Texas), I found that the defroster has a tough time keeping up in my 13 Anthem...that said, best to pull off the road.

TgovSr 12-30-2016 05:48 PM

I recently had the pleasure to drive to Middlebury in -15 weather! All the heating systems worked extremely well. I did cause myself a little frustration in that I had a FMCA plate in the front drivers side windshield area and with blocked air vent the windshield in that area froze up in a hurry. Once I realized the issue and removed the plate the defroster did the job. Just a heads up........

hawgguy 12-30-2016 06:05 PM

I have been pleasently surprised by the defroster performance in comparison with other coaches I have owned. Granted, my expectations were low.