iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Opinions on tires (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/opinions-on-tires-323049.html)

Lefty67 01-10-2017 08:07 AM

Opinions on tires
 
I am still debating on tires for my 2002 43' Newmar Mountain Aire. There are Michelin tires on it now and I would like to find some for the 2 back axle's that are cheaper than the Michelin's. What are your opinions on a Yokohama RY617 and the Yokohoma RY023. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Statgeek 01-10-2017 08:35 AM

Tires are not an area where I would be willing to pinch pennies on these big rigs. I replaced two Goodyear front tires with Michelins in our 2013 RV already (poor alignment out of the factory that I didn't catch until month 13 of ownership). When the rear tires are ready to be replaced, they will also be Michelins.

If you haven't already looked into it, you can get a significant discount on Michelin tires by joining the FMCA. The membership costs are minimal compared to the savings...

https://www.fmca.com/benefits/michelin-advantage.html

Lefty67 01-10-2017 09:33 AM

Is Yokohama considered a "sup-par" tire?

CampDaven 01-10-2017 09:54 AM

I consider Michelin to be "par".

stuhly 01-10-2017 11:01 AM

There are many tires on the market that are just as good as Michelins and don't have the sidewall cracking problem. Michelins are way over rated and over priced.

Ray,IN 01-10-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Statgeek (Post 3410908)
Tires are not an area where I would be willing to pinch pennies on these big rigs. I replaced two Goodyear front tires with Michelins in our 2013 RV already (poor alignment out of the factory that I didn't catch until month 13 of ownership). When the rear tires are ready to be replaced, they will also be Michelins.

If you haven't already looked into it, you can get a significant discount on Michelin tires by joining the FMCA. The membership costs are minimal compared to the savings...

https://www.fmca.com/benefits/michelin-advantage.html

Yes, you can-but, that FMCA website states one must check around because sometimes you can buy Michelin tires cheaper than through the Michelin/FMCA program.

Mr_D 01-10-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 3411171)
Yes, you can-but, that FMCA website states one must check around because sometimes you can buy Michelin tires cheaper than through the Michelin/FMCA program.

Very true, my "problem" was that my rig has the SmarTire TPMS system. Only one shop (Les Schwab in Junction City) within my area had the special equipment and expertise to replace the internal sensors and reset the system. I probably paid more there than at a much closer Superior tire shop.
Regarding another post:
My Michelins were dated in 2007, they had NO cracking or checking showing either inside nor outside. Seems some people can't resist posting a negative comment about Michelins even though the overwhelming majority of us have never had a problem.

theroc 01-10-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty67 (Post 3410978)
Is Yokohama considered a "sup-par" tire?

I know my opinion is against the grain here and not at all popular but, no, absolutely not. Yokohama is a very good product and I personally wouldn't consider it risky using their products.

I'm still a bit shy buying tires from the China-based manufacturers but even some of those are getting very good reviews from truckers and RVers.

I wouldn't hesitate at all buying tires from Japanese or South Korean -based companies, however ...i.e. Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, Hankook, Kumho, etc.

Statgeek 01-10-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 3411171)
Yes, you can-but, that FMCA website states one must check around because sometimes you can buy Michelin tires cheaper than through the Michelin/FMCA program.

Oh for sure... shop around. That goes without saying! I saved a bundle using the FMCA's discount program, but it was still an expensive purchase. I don't remember the cost break down (I had to do some extensive alignment too), but it probably doesn't matter much since my cost back then isn't going to tie out to the OP's potential costs today. Michelin's are pricey tires--I mainly wanted to alert the OP to the FMCA discount program. Their magazine had some nice articles in it too, but I have since let my membership lapse.

beenthere 01-10-2017 04:10 PM

look at the new general HS steer tire and american made...i pd 2800 for 6 out door.. i like them all though on put 3000 miles on them till winter

Lefty67 01-10-2017 04:24 PM

I have seen the general HS and they look pretty good but the ones I found were 12 months old. I was hoping to find something a little newer

beenthere 01-10-2017 05:33 PM

ya they were introduced in may of '15.. mine were only three months old[i believe]...and i was there watching the install and balance..good thing is none needed more than 5 oz's. that is pretty good.. and 8 oz's they are no go for me and they try to deflate and move tire on rim to compensate..works some times and not some times. here in ND lots of generals are used and suppose thats why newer dated code

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty67 (Post 3411488)
I have seen the general HS and they look pretty good but the ones I found were 12 months old. I was hoping to find something a little newer


beenthere 01-10-2017 05:38 PM

oh to mention when i look at ratings for tires i look for steer and if cheap u can use trailer for rears, but i dont...you dont want to use the delivery or so called local tires, as they are not made for continuous use, like heating up and slower speed,like 60-65 mph. not 75 mph..all the manufacturer's build tires for many applications.. steer tires are best for MH

Stealth01 01-10-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 3411186)
Very true, my "problem" was that my rig has the SmarTire TPMS system. Only one shop (Les Schwab in Junction City) within my area had the special equipment and expertise to replace the internal sensors and reset the system. I probably paid more there than at a much closer Superior tire shop.

Mr. D, wish I had known... I just installed 8 Michelin 315 80 R22.5 XZA2 tires with SmarTire TPMS sensors. I'm not sure what "special equipment" was required to install the sensors, the installation was very simple. I ordered the new sensors and installation bands from Spartan. The key was having the installer "map" the new sensor serial numbers to their tire positions on the coach. I then drove the coach home, during the drive the new sensors "logged in" to the scratch pad memory of the SmarTire page in the Silverleaf. It was a tedious process to erase each old sensor serial number, which had to be moved from the tire to the clipboard and then to the scratch pad and then move the new serial number from the scratch pad to the clip board and then to the specific tire. The whole process took about 30 minutes... It sure is a funny conversation you have with yourself when you "lose" a serial number...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.