iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   When to head North from Yuma (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/when-to-head-north-from-yuma-326028.html)

kcsman 02-05-2017 09:43 AM

When to head North from Yuma

Greetings: Am a fultimer and recently was told that Yuma would be getting "pretty hot" soon this being early Feb. Would be interested in knowing where others have gone to stay out of the heat as the season progresses. I am from the WA state area but March would be a little early to head to WA. I am not a "hot" weather guy so hope others can give me tips as to how I might work my way North to stay ahead of the "heat". One year I over wintered in FL and I felt the end of March was time for me to leave as I could feel the humidity start to rear its ugly head. Prefer to not be in areas of heavy population or higher expense. Any tips appreciated.

bdpreece 02-05-2017 10:33 AM

Arizona has varying climates as you climb to higher elevations. We travel towards Camp Verde possibly up to the Grand Canyon area, maybe over to Payson then on up to Show Low/Lakeside. Following that route you can stay comfortable into June.

Busskipper 02-05-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcsman (Post 3446769)
Greetings: Am a fultimer and recently was told that Yuma would be getting "pretty hot" soon this being early Feb. Would be interested in knowing where others have gone to stay out of the heat as the season progresses. I am from the WA state area but March would be a little early to head to WA. I am not a "hot" weather guy so hope others can give me tips as to how I might work my way North to stay ahead of the "heat". One year I over wintered in FL and I felt the end of March was time for me to leave as I could feel the humidity start to rear its ugly head. Prefer to not be in areas of heavy population or higher expense. Any tips appreciated.

Answer would be similar to when boat Captains go south - the "day after they feel the need for socks" - Think it might be on the day after you started to Sweat! Just head north to the Mountains, likely not too far yet.

JMHO,

tizzyfit 02-05-2017 03:00 PM

Mid March, then maybe head towards Prescott or Flagstaff. Being from the mossy side of Washington state, you probably want to be clear of AZ by May 1st. Park City, UT or Logan, UT works for the month of May or even on to the West entrance of Yellowstone by around May 15th, then back to the pacific northwest in time for those lovely rain showers throughout the month of June.

Tuquala 02-05-2017 04:01 PM

3rd week of March in 2015, it got up to the mid 90s in Yuma. Hot at the car show. Not an expert on best time to leave, since only visited once!!

bigchick 02-05-2017 04:16 PM

we live in payson, az. as mentioned earlier there are lots of places with milder climates. payson, show-low, Prescott, cottonwood, camp verde, Sedona, flagstaff. Utah - st George possibly.