iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Tinted Side Windows in Class A in NY (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tinted-side-windows-in-class-a-in-ny-326655.html)

Pusherman 02-10-2017 04:04 PM

Tinted Side Windows in Class A in NY

I had the pleasant opportunity to talk to a NYS DMV Facilites Inspector yesterday. NYS has recently changed their Inspection Station processes to include a transmittance test for driver's/passenger's side and front windshield windows for all vehicles, including HEAVY motorhomes (HEAVY= greater than 18,000 lbs GVWR).

Now the law has been on the books for some time, which is you cannot have window tint on the side passenger windows or front windshield which limits light transmittance below 70%. The difference is as of 1/1/17 that NYS Inspection Stations must have a Transmittance meter and check these windows when doing a NYS Inspection.

There was some confusion (at least in my mind) whether HEAVY motorhomes were exempt from this law. They are not.

When talking to the Facilities Inspector, he was not 100% sure of this possible exemption, but he followed up and called me on the same day telling me that motorhomes are not exempt from this inspection test, and told me my question was a good one, as no one had asked him this specific prior.

Just an FYI to those motorhome owners registered in NYS. If you have tint on your side driver/passenger windows or windshields, it will be tested at your next NYS Inspection, and it won't pass if the tint is dark enough to not let 70% of the light through. By the way, that's not dark at all.

Anything behind the driver's and passenger seats are OK to be tinted. Anything from the factory should be legal, as this rule is exactly equivalent to the Federal laws which manufacturers follow - no concerns. For example, my side drivers/passenger windows are not tinted, but the 'eye brow' window above the sliding panes on my coach ARE tinted, along with all the side windows behind the driver/passenger seats, and this is 100% legal.

Mr_D 02-10-2017 04:28 PM

WA had that law since at least 1988. We bought a new '88 Honda Accord that the dealer had tint installed. It was right at the limit then. Now you can't have anything but factory installed tinted glass on the windshield, driver nor passenger side windows. One thing though is that we have no vehicle inspection other than EPA in some areas so people get away with it. But any patrolman/woman can check it subsequent to a traffic stop and you much comply with the law here no matter what is in your home state just like taillight/headlight laws.

Pusherman 02-10-2017 05:09 PM

Similar thing here, Mr D. The law has been on the books for a long time, but now it's required that it be checked at annual inspection. In the past the police carried the transmittance meters to check tinting if and when pulled over, but now it's checked annually at mandatory NYSI.

wildtoad 02-10-2017 05:17 PM

So Mr. D, if a visitor from out of state, just passing through, has tinted windows that exceed the specs what happens?

Mr_D 02-10-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildtoad (Post 3454576)
So Mr. D, if a visitor from out of state, just passing through, has tinted windows that exceed the specs what happens?

You might be required to have it removed to continue, just like getting a headlight or taillight bulb replaced. Now, will that actually happen? I doubt it, just that it's within the states rights.

RV Carl 02-14-2017 08:38 PM

Many tint shops now have a clear tint with heat and UV protection as good or better than dark tint. I have it on both my driver and passenger windows and I really like it at night. A little more expensive, but well worth it.

spyderRV 02-15-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV Carl (Post 3460281)
Many tint shops now have a clear tint with heat and UV protection as good or better than dark tint. I have it on both my driver and passenger windows and I really like it at night. A little more expensive, but well worth it.

I used a tint which is not dark but is supposed to block heat on most of my windows. I only put it on the back half of the front windows but I dont like it because it causes confusing reflections .

Linky please :)

dmm588 02-15-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildtoad (Post 3454576)

As long as you are legal in your State, you are all set! Also, you have a better chance at winning the lottery than being hassled by the police about this issue in a mh! (That opinion is based on my previous 25yrs experience as a leo in NYS)

wa8yxm 02-15-2017 08:18 AM

Many states have laws like that.. Generally they only apply to the FRONT windows (Those in front of the "B" pillar) that includes, on a car, the windshield an the FRONT doors. Key word however is Generally.. your millage may vary.

cwit 02-15-2017 12:35 PM

It would take a very tall person to look in my class A Windows . n.Y. Law states your tint can be no darker then the darkest factory tint. They also used to say if they can see into the center of your car you are good to go.

apatz 02-16-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 3454592)
You might be required to have it removed to continue, just like getting a headlight or taillight bulb replaced. Now, will that actually happen? I doubt it, just that it's within the states rights.

I doubt this would happen. States are reciprocal in their vehicle laws. If it's legal in your home state you'd be good to go.

cwit 02-17-2017 06:04 AM

I believe the tint is now checked at inspection stations only so tint is out of the state police hands..

NevadaNick 02-17-2017 06:36 AM

I was stopped in my pickup in Ca because of my tinted windows and the patrolman said it was a fed law and wrote me a ticket. When i got home i had an officer there sign it off and i sent it back. That was aomg time ago and i have never been stopped for it since then and all our vehicles are tinted.

LETMGROW 02-17-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pusherman (Post 3454505)
I had the pleasant opportunity to talk to a NYS DMV Facilites Inspector yesterday. NYS has recently changed their Inspection Station processes to include a transmittance test for driver's/passenger's side and front windshield windows for all vehicles, including HEAVY motorhomes (HEAVY= greater than 18,000 lbs GVWR).

Now the law has been on the books for some time, which is you cannot have window tint on the side passenger windows or front windshield which limits light transmittance below 70%. The difference is as of 1/1/17 that NYS Inspection Stations must have a Transmittance meter and check these windows when doing a NYS Inspection.

There was some confusion (at least in my mind) whether HEAVY motorhomes were exempt from this law. They are not.

When talking to the Facilities Inspector, he was not 100% sure of this possible exemption, but he followed up and called me on the same day telling me that motorhomes are not exempt from this inspection test, and told me my question was a good one, as no one had asked him this specific prior.

Just an FYI to those motorhome owners registered in NYS. If you have tint on your side driver/passenger windows or windshields, it will be tested at your next NYS Inspection, and it won't pass if the tint is dark enough to not let 70% of the light through. By the way, that's not dark at all.

Anything behind the driver's and passenger seats are OK to be tinted. Anything from the factory should be legal, as this rule is exactly equivalent to the Federal laws which manufacturers follow - no concerns. For example, my side drivers/passenger windows are not tinted, but the 'eye brow' window above the sliding panes on my coach ARE tinted, along with all the side windows behind the driver/passenger seats, and this is 100% legal.

Check this:
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

I don't believe Motorhomes fit in to the category.
Lynn