iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Staying longer than 14 days (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/staying-longer-than-14-days-327963.html)

Hersh6 02-21-2017 02:19 PM

Staying longer than 14 days

As I start to research our transition to FT, I am finding most RV parks and SP only allow maximum of 14 day stays. We are going to stay in one spot at least three months, as determined by my wifes' contract.
Am I going to be limited in where we can stay for three month stretches, or will most sites let you stay longer than 14 days?

Thanks.

NINK 02-21-2017 02:35 PM

Commercial RV parks will allow you to stay longer than 14 days. There are many who live full-time in RV parks. Most of the state parks have a 14 day limit, but there are some regional parks (specifically in Arizona) that will allow you to stay in their parks the entire winter, but you do have to change spaces every 14 days.

DSL417 02-21-2017 02:37 PM

A lotto state parks have 14 day limits, but you shouldn't have a problem finding parks that accommodate monthly or longer stays. Honestly, monthly or longer stays yield the best rates.

campgroundreviews.com to check out sites, and then go to the park's web site if it looks good.

For parks that cater to the seasonal Summer and Winter campers, it pays to reserve early.

rk911 02-21-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersh6 (Post 3469577)
As I start to research our transition to FT, I am finding most RV parks and SP only allow maximum of 14 day stays. We are going to stay in one spot at least three months, as determined by my wifes' contract.
Am I going to be limited in where we can stay for three month stretches, or will most sites let you stay longer than 14 days?

Thanks.

many (most?) public parks (local, county, state, federal) will limit your stay to 14-consecutive days, then 7, 10 or 14-days off that site before you can re-occupy that site. depending on the camp host/ranger you may be allowed to stay an additional X days in the same site if demand allows but during prime time don't count on it. you might be able to move to a different site within the park if available but some parks require you to leave the park for X-days. not sure if you could reserve campsite A for 14-days (days 1-14), then campsite B for days 15-28, etc. but it would be worth asking. each park will be different so be sure to ask and know the rules before reserving.

private/commercial RV parks and campgrounds will have no such restriction. stay as long as you like providing the check or CC doesn't bounce. :rofl: but, again, demand may preclude a longer stay without a reservation. so if the wife will be under contract for 12-weeks then be sure your reservation for that park is for at least 12-weeks. during prime time don't expect to drive into a park and find an available site for 12-weeks. you might but don't count on it.

BillL 02-21-2017 07:26 PM

Try making one 14 day time period in your name followed by another two weeks I your wife's name.

WendyG 02-21-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillL (Post 3469977)
Try making one 14 day time period in your name followed by another two weeks I your wife's name.

That may not work in some public parks; one had better read the rules carefully before committing to that plan. Florida State park rules state that a group faces the 14 day rule, and if the group swaps reservation names,the park is to reduce the stays to bring the group into compliance. So if a ranger or camp host or computer data detects the name swap, the group would lose the extra days and pay a cancellation fee to boot. It might be unpleasant to try to find a last minute site elsewhere as spouse is trying to go to work.

As mentioned private parks usually welcome long stays. Public entities are trying to let different people enjoy access to their facilities.

Rambeau 02-21-2017 08:08 PM

State and public parks do not have the ability to pick and choose who stays in the park. As camp hosts in state parks we have come face to face with what can only be described as "low lifes" . The park rangers can do nothing , especially when the camping fees are being paid by welfare. The best they can do is enforce the 14 day rule for everyone. One park we worked in had the state highway patrol/tribal police drive thru 2 or 3 thru times a week to check for those hiding from the law. This was a park far from any urban centers.

twogypsies 02-21-2017 08:13 PM

Wow Rambeau! Where do you host? We've never run across anything like that as volunteers.

OP: I really doubt you'd find many public parks that would allow you to stay 3 months. However, Gulf Shores State Park, Alabama will allow that in winter until spring break. That's the only one we've found in 16 years of full-timing.

For you, the best and cheapest way to go is to get in a RV park and get a monthly or seasonal rate. I doubt that RV parks have a 14-day limit.

Old-Biscuit 02-21-2017 08:22 PM

Private/public RV Parks..daily, weekly, monthly rates
Monthly rates usually have separate electric metering

State/National/COE.....14 day stays then OUT. No game palying allowed

WendyG 02-21-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 3470053)
Wow Rambeau! Where do you host? We've never run across anything like that as volunteers.

OP: I really doubt you'd find many public parks that would allow you to stay 3 months. However, Gulf Shores State Park, Alabama will allow that in winter until spring break. That's the only one we've found in 16 years of full-timing.

For you, the best and cheapest way to go is to get in a RV park and get a monthly or seasonal rate. I doubt that RV parks have a 14-day limit.

We found one in our first year fulltiming: Cliffside County Park in Wisconsin allows people to stay for the entire season. No price break for longer stays. I wonder if it will take 15 years to find another.

jpharley 02-22-2017 12:33 PM

You will find paying the daily rate in a state park is much more expensive than finding a private campground that offers a monthly or even weekly rate. We have found an occasional state park that offers weekly or monthly rates in the winter time because they do not close down but also have few campers. Also most state/local/federal campgrounds do not offer sewer and depending on the location and time of year may also have the water off. Even though a private campground may not be as scenic as a state/federal/local one, it is probably your best bet.

530ktm 02-22-2017 12:44 PM

We are in a private campground and there are some some spots that are full time but there is a long waiting list to get these, and some of them are not so nice. What we have to do along with many others who stay longer than 2 weeks is move, every 2 weeks. We change spots every 2 weeks but we have them all reserved for our future moves so we get nice spots. We have been doing this for the last 6 weeks and have another 6 weeks to go until we are done with work and get to go home.

oatmeal 02-23-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambeau (Post 3470046)
The park rangers can do nothing , especially when the camping fees are being paid by welfare. The best they can do is enforce the 14 day rule for everyone.

Can you explain your comment about camping fees being paid by welfare, and how that affects what park rangers can do?

motorhomeguy 02-23-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillL (Post 3469977)

This has always worked for me...