iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Staying longer than 14 days (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/staying-longer-than-14-days-327963.html)

Rambeau 02-23-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal (Post 3472969)
Can you explain your comment about camping fees being paid by welfare, and how that affects what park rangers can do?

Exactly what I said...Happen to be a northwest State Park. 40' 5th wheel arrived middle of the night in a snow storm. RV family was well know to the rangers, they rotated between two state parks 14 days+ in each. As far as I know they paid the daily rate for 14 days with welfare voucher and then paid nothing until they were forced by the rangers to vacate. Children (3) were home schooled, third adult in unit was (allegedly) a convicted sex offender. I suppose the crowning touch was the washing machine they had set up and used outside next to their steps...the park was water/electric only. The rangers could do nothing.

mjeffrey 02-23-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhomeguy (Post 3472995)
This has always worked for me...

If they take your license plate number, the park rangers will notice if you change reservation names and try to stay longer than 14 days.

mjeffrey 02-23-2017 10:04 PM

Florida state parks also have a 56 day limit per 6 months. So 4 14 day stays, out 3 days in between, is also a limit.

oatmeal 02-25-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambeau (Post 3473124)
Exactly what I said...Happen to be a northwest State Park. 40' 5th wheel arrived middle of the night in a snow storm. RV family was well know to the rangers, they rotated between two state parks 14 days+ in each. As far as I know they paid the daily rate for 14 days with welfare voucher and then paid nothing until they were forced by the rangers to vacate. Children (3) were home schooled, third adult in unit was (allegedly) a convicted sex offender. I suppose the crowning touch was the washing machine they had set up and used outside next to their steps...the park was water/electric only. The rangers could do nothing.

I think there's a lot more going on here than is presented, and that it's a pretty specific situation. That's generally not a good time to paint with a broad "welfare" and "low-life" brush. And there are lot of resources for finding out if someone is a sex offender. It would take a tiny bit more work than just calling someone "(allegedly) a convicted sex offender," and whether it's worth the bother probably depends to some extent on your agenda.

I don't like washing machines sitting outside any more than the next non-low-life, but if the place you're staying doesn't have a rule against it, or if the managers choose not to enforce it, you just have to accept it.

twogypsies 02-25-2017 10:37 AM

Rambeau: I question your use of "as far as I know" and "allegedly" in your above post.

Also, In January you made a reply to a post: "Washington and Oregon have some of the nation's best FHU state parks... you would need to move every other week or so. Pick 2 or 3 and rotate." So you're recommending it? You've done it?

I think you need to check for accuracy before making accusations. You know nothing about the RVer you 'suspected'.

As far as the washing machine... I assume it was a small portable one. Perhaps it was used for washing a few of the children's clothes. People hand wash things all the time and hang them out - if the park allows it. I doubt this was a full-size electric washer that was setting outside.

What state park was this?

Rambeau 02-25-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 3475152)
Rambeau: I question your use of "as far as I know" and "allegedly" in your above post.

Also, In January you made a reply to a post: "Washington and Oregon have some of the nation's best FHU state parks... you would need to move every other week or so. Pick 2 or 3 and rotate." So you're recommending it? You've done it?

I think you need to check for accuracy before making accusations. You know nothing about the RVer you 'suspected'.

As far as the washing machine... I assume it was a small portable one. Perhaps it was used for washing a few of the children's clothes. People hand wash things all the time and hang them out - if the park allows it. I doubt this was a full-size electric washer that was setting outside.

What state park was this?

We were Park hosts and not allowed to handle money just parroting what was told to us by those that knew.

Washington and Oregon do have the best FHU state parks. Never had a need to rotate between parks but see no problem if someone did.

No! washing machine was a full size and allowed to discharge under the RV

Identifying the State park would only serve to get attention aimed at the rangers and not serve any useful purpose.

I have many bad habits...prevaricating is not one of them

jackfish 02-25-2017 03:06 PM

Washington State Parks state, "From April 1 through September 30, the maximum length of stay in any one park is 10 days. From October 1 through March 31, the maximum stay is 20 days.", and "All Washington state laws are enforced in Washington state parks."

I smell some fish or maybe BS.

Hit_the_Rhod 02-26-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambeau (Post 3475280)
We were Park hosts and not allowed to handle money just parroting what was told to us by those that knew.
Washington and Oregon do have the best FHU state parks. Never had a need to rotate between parks but see no problem if someone did.
No! washing machine was a full size and allowed to discharge under the RV
Identifying the State park would only serve to get attention aimed at the rangers and not serve any useful purpose.
I have many bad habits...prevaricating is not one of them

Both WA and OR have laws against discharging untreated grey and black water into the environment. The Park Rangers should know this. If they do not or choose to not enforce it, then they shouldn't be Park Rangers.

The illegal discharge of grey water alone is more than enough to get the RV'ers ticketed, fined, and evicted. I am really surprised that this park did not enforce the laws, if indeed what you describe is what actually occurred.

oatmeal 02-26-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambeau (Post 3475280)
Identifying the State park would only serve to get attention aimed at the rangers and not serve any useful purpose.

Identifying the state park would serve a useful purpose to me because I'd like to know if a park without sewer hookups allows people to drain gray on the ground. We can go a month on the black tank, but less on the gray, especially if we want to wash clothes. So the option for gray water disposal is almost like a full hookup site for me.

But if the rangers are not supposed to be letting people drain gray on the ground and allow it anyway, especially for people who they allege are sex offenders behind their back, then maybe attention should be aimed at these park rangers.

saddlesore 02-26-2017 11:17 AM

Here in Oregon I have witnessed "family-groups" swapping from one county park to another every 14 days. They seem to make an agreement with another "family-group" and both groups swap places at the same time , insuring that they won't miss out on their desired camping spot(s)...and take their prerequisite blue tarps with them...
Camp hosts said that as long as the campers do not raise a ruckus nothing should be done. No exclusions just because they are down on their luck & poor.....If all they can afford are blue tarps...so be it.

jackfish 03-01-2017 08:18 PM

Down on one's luck and poor doesn't seem to square with $21 to $26 a night for camping fees. There are many places in Oregon where you can get an apartment for that.

OLYLEN 03-03-2017 08:55 AM

I find it interesting that some "good RVers" say cheat the system and stay longer than allowed so others don't get a chance to use the park.

LEN

beaverfever 03-03-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLYLEN (Post 3484098)
I find it interesting that some "good RVers" say cheat the system and stay longer than allowed so others don't get a chance to use the park.

LEN

x2:banghead:

oatmeal 03-04-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLYLEN (Post 3484098)
I find it interesting that some "good RVers" say cheat the system and stay longer than allowed so others don't get a chance to use the park.

I look at it more as an issue of fairness.

Think about a person traveling alone. Can he get around the stay limit the same way a couple can? If not, then I think the couple getting around the stay limit isn't fair.

The stay limit obviously isn't intended to affect only single people, yet if couples do as some suggest here, that's the result.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.