iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Help with insurance on tow dolly (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/help-with-insurance-on-tow-dolly-341517.html)

redcatcher 05-24-2017 08:21 AM

Help with insurance on tow dolly

Good morning.
I have a class A motor home and will be towing my car on a two wheel dolly during the month of June. I have contacted my car insurer (USAA) and say they do not cover damage caused by the dolly in the event of damage to another vehicle or property. My insurance carrier for the motor home(Progressive) tells me the same thing. So, what do all of you do for insurance coverage caused by a tow dolly or car carrier when being pulled behind your RV? Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank, Calvin.

Poppy01 05-24-2017 08:56 AM

Sounds odd. Usually the towing vehicle's liability extends to the towed one...At least that's how my policy reads. Best thing to do is to read through the policy carefully.

Sweetbriar 05-24-2017 09:16 AM

Ask them the question again to Progressive but don't narrow the question down to a dolly with a car on it. Just keep it general towing liability with the coach. Dollies and cars on dollies are a bit of a unique event from their prospective but a boat or ATV on a trailer isn't which you could use as a comparison. It's a bit like talking to a satellite provided about having service in a coach rather than something a bit less mobile.

Normally the coach, or in other words the prime mover, insurance will cover but certainly doesn't hurt to check.

mike2wheels 05-24-2017 09:20 PM

My insurance carrier said our trailers are covered by the towing vehicle, any damage to them or caused by them.

redcatcher 05-26-2017 03:14 AM

I talked again to Progressive and there position is "they do not cover damage caused by the tow dolly or a car hauler". Contacted Geico , explained conversation with Progressive and they said they do cover damage by any trailer regardless of what is on the trailer (car, bikes, etc,). They even sent me a copy of the insurance clause to verify coverage. Changed to Geico and got a better deal than with Progressive. Saved over $200. Thanks for all your thoughts, Calvin.

LaurenceStarr 05-31-2017 09:03 AM

Confused

I checked with allstate (good sams) and was told a whole lot of "IFs". The other person vehicle would be covered by my motorhome insurance, but the tow dolly and my car would not be. I can get a rider for the two dolly for about $30/year. The car would be covered under my car insurance policy.
If I were to have an accident damaging the tow dolly and the car (assuming it was my fault), I would have two deductibles to pay ( one for the dolly and one for the car).

computerguy 06-01-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcatcher (Post 3616523)
I talked again to Progressive and there position is "they do not cover damage caused by the tow dolly or a car hauler". Contacted Geico , explained conversation with Progressive and they said they do cover damage by any trailer regardless of what is on the trailer (car, bikes, etc,). They even sent me a copy of the insurance clause to verify coverage. Changed to Geico and got a better deal than with Progressive. Saved over $200. Thanks for all your thoughts, Calvin.

There is another thread about all the exclusions in the Progressive policy. Caveat Emptor. It is not only about the price. Know what you are buying SPECIFICALLY.
Start with post #4 here:
Progressive Exclusions

Gary RVRoamer 06-03-2017 10:37 AM

Damage TO the tow dolly or any car on it is NOT covered by your motorhome policy - that would be collision and comprehensive coverage. Only damage done BY the dolly, to something else and while under tow, is covered by the coach liability policy. So if the dolly - or anything else under tow - causes damage or injury to something or somebody while under tow, it is covered by the tow vehicle's liability. State liability insurance laws require that, so Progressive doesn't get to decide.

So, you have to be careful what question you ask, and listen equally carefully to the answer to make sure it matches the question. Agents know they need to be very cautious about the answers because they are liable for any mistaken impression you may get, so you will hear a lot more NO than YES, and many, many IFs.

Damage done TO the car under tow is covered by the cars collision and comprehensive policy (assuming it has that coverage). It may be possible to get collision and comprehensive coverage for the dolly itself, but I wouldn't bet on it. Most insurers don't write policies on utility trailers and dollies below some minimum value.

macthick 06-05-2017 08:09 PM

Okay here is what you need to be aware of. Personal auto policies liability follows the vehicle,whereas commercial auto policies do not if you have a commercial policy it requires liability to be added forthe towed trailer . Your motor home policy maybe of the commercial variety hence you will need to add(endorse )liability for a trailer . Different policies/company's differ ent rules.