iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Winterization On 3rd of July (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/winterization-on-3rd-of-july-347751.html)

tommar 07-03-2017 07:41 AM

Winterization On 3rd of July

OK, so tomorrow is the 4th of July... and I have some winterization questions. My RV lives in central Texas... how stringently should I winterize? We get maybe three hard freezes a season and usually the duration is short. Comments?

I think I would like to drain the HW heater an FW system including FW pump but don't know how to do so. Any advice on winterization and which systems to protect?

Sandy Swede 07-03-2017 07:58 AM

I suggest that you winterize completely. All it takes is one hard freeze to cause major damage if you are not prepared. I look at winterization as an "either - or." There are no gradations (or "how stringently" as you put it), IMO.

tommar 07-03-2017 08:16 AM

Yes... but I need to know HOW to winterize... DIY

Skip426 07-03-2017 08:29 AM

Good morning , tommar, I have some house painting to do before it gets too hot here , I'll take photos and post the info tonight. :thumb:

EDIT: Question though , is your water heater in the basement , or under the sink, there are some layout differences between our years of coaches.

hohenwald48 07-03-2017 08:35 AM

I live in Nashville TN and don't winterize. I just set the thermostat at 50 or so and let the furnace do it's thing. We use our RV thru the winter so winterizing would be a 2 or 3 times a month chore.

AFChap 07-03-2017 08:37 AM

I live in East Texas. Mine is plugged in to electric when stored. I don't winterize, just put an auto trouble light/shop spot light/ or can light in the water bays when there is a hard freeze. I also have wireless remote thermometers in those areas. I could also run the furnaces if needed.

From what I have seen from the temps in those basement areas on mine, I don't believe there is a big risk. I believe draining the WH and water lines would be all that is necessary if you don't have shore power. My rig has a low point drain valve in the plumbing by the water pump next to the WH ...both are in a basement storage bay. I would open faucets inside the rig, then open the low point drain. A couple other things to consider on my rig would be disconnecting & draining the ice maker water line behind the refrigerator, and the water filter under the sink. A final touch if you want would be to pour RV antifreeze into the sink traps, but frankly in our climate I believe that would be overkill. Even when we have a freeze, the temp rarely stays below freezing during the day, and if the rig gets any sunshine that helps. I believe it would have to get to 28 or below and stay there for 24 hours or so before my storage bays would get cold enough for me to begin to be concerned.

For motorhomes with enclosed belly pans, it would have to get well below freezing and stay there for a couple of days to put us at risk.

luvlabs 07-03-2017 08:39 AM

You might be able to get by using compressed air to blow the water out of the water lines and pouring antifreeze down the sink traps. But it can get colder in central Texas then you think - so using your water pump, pump antifreeze throughout the coach (use the water heater bypass so you don't pump 10 gallons in). Use air to blow out other lines like black tank rinse lines.

jimmy braden 07-03-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvlabs (Post 3679626)
You might be able to get by using compressed air to blow the water out of the water lines and pouring antifreeze down the sink traps. But it can get colder in central Texas then you think - so using your water pump, pump antifreeze throughout the coach (use the water heater bypass so you don't pump 10 gallons in). Use air to blow out other lines like black tank rinse lines.

Id do this at least. I didn't get all the water out and had a ALIMUNUM water filter crack under sink. And had replace a shower turn off. That was just from a 28 degree event that lasted about 3d.

igave 07-03-2017 09:53 AM

Tom mar,there are many, many pretty good YouTube videos on how to winterize your coach. It'd be worth your time and peace of mind to check those out. Most are pretty good.

Podivin 07-03-2017 10:01 AM

I think we might need to define 'hard freeze'.
If it gets below freezing for a few hours, don't worry about it.
If it gets below freezing for 12 hours or more then it's time for heat or winterization.
When I lived in Iowa where a 'hard freeze' is below zero for days at a time, I'd be trying to get every drop of water out of every place that water could be.
Here in Florida, I turn on a space heater once or twice a year and open the cabinet doors so that the warm air can get to the lines.

computerguy 07-03-2017 10:03 AM

I have owned a MH since 2008. I lived/stored these units in Las Vegas NV and Tampa FL. Temps will get into the high 20's a couple times of year but never for any length (maybe a few hours overnight) of time and always warming during the day.
No need to winterize IMO. I've never had a problem.
The temps need to get considerably lower for longer periods of time before I consider winterizing anything.

OLYLEN 07-03-2017 10:08 AM

First what do you consider a had freeze? If the temp drops to 27 overnight then back up to the 40's during the day you don't need to worry. If it drops to below freezing several days you do need to winterized. Air system will do fine in your area. Drain HW tank, drain fresh, black and gray tanks, fresh at low point drains. Hookup air compressor at shore water set to shore water at 40-50#. Open faucets at feathers from air first, both hot and cold. Work your way back to toilet and shower and don't forget outside shower if eguipted or the water filters. Repeat a couple time unroll you get a spray or just air. Did this in temps holding way under freezing for weeks. No problem! I got lazy this year and set the furnace for 42 and used very little propane, EZ way out.

LEN

Lt Dan 07-03-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommar (Post 3679519)
OK, so tomorrow is the 4th of July... and I have some winterization questions. My RV lives in central Texas... how stringently should I winterize? We get maybe three hard freezes a season and usually the duration is short. Comments?

I think I would like to drain the HW heater an FW system including FW pump but don't know how to do so. Any advice on winterization and which systems to protect?

The problem with Texas weather is it can be a really hard freeze some years and others barely have any freezing weather. We had 16-20 degree weather this past winter for a couple of nights and that's enough to damage a water system.

Anything with water needs to be protected; plumbing, refrigerator, holding tanks, etc. The tanks may be drained, but there is still residual water in the drain valve and other places. Pour some RV anti freeze down the toilet and P traps and that can protect the black and gray tanks. Just leave the fresh water tank drain open so it doesn't freeze. Blow out the lines with 40psi air pressure then pump in RV anti freeze. Drain the water heater by taking out the drain plug, then turn the valve to WH bypass so you don't fill it with anti freeze.

It's not difficult and can save thousands in possible damage.

Busskipper 07-03-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommar (Post 3679519)

How to Winterize Your RV

This should answer your question.

How to Winterize Your RV

tommar 07-03-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip426 (Post 3679603)
Good morning , tommar, I have some house painting to do before it gets too hot here , I'll take photos and post the info tonight. :thumb:

EDIT: Question though , is your water heater in the basement , or under the sink, there are some layout differences between our years of coaches.

Hi Skip426! I know HW heater's not under sink. Vent and little door for it is on outside passenger side. Has two funny looking round black rubber buttons of some sort, and stuff for the LP gas side of the dual electric/gas heater.