iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Trouble seeing front of coach (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trouble-seeing-front-of-coach-347961.html)

bshan0711 07-04-2017 02:41 PM

Trouble seeing front of coach

I am relatively new and always have had the problem of not being able to see how much room I have in front when I am maneuvering in a tight spot and have to be as close as possible when turning. Any suggestions or is there sensors that I can install that would beep when very close. Thank you

Mr_D 07-04-2017 02:45 PM

Do some training with cones in an empty parking lot.

Chargerman 07-04-2017 02:46 PM

There is a camera system that mounts to the license plate mount but sorry I can not recall the company. I'm sure if you google it you will find it.
My suggestion though is to have a spotter assist you when you feel it's needed. Usually if you are in a tight spot it will affect you in many areas as you maneuver so it's good to have mobil eyes when warranted. I think you will also find that as you put on some miles you will become more comfortable as to where your distances are similar to any new vehicle....just a lot more to look out for

Good luck!

WillandJane 07-04-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargerman (Post 3681873)
There is a camera system that mounts to the license plate mount but sorry I can not recall the company. I'm sure if you google it you will find it.
My suggestion though is to have a spotter assist you when you feel it's needed. Usually if you are in a tight spot it will affect you in many areas as you maneuver so it's good to have mobil eyes when warranted. I think you will also find that as you put on some miles you will become more comfortable as to where your distances are similar to any new vehicle....just a lot more to look out for

Good luck!

X2 on the comfortability......thats the best experience....just find some place to practice where you will not impede anyone....one note though, it's not a video game....to me unless you have the types of cones that stand 5 feet plus, anything else you might use will scratch and dent your coach and you can't take that back....don't laugh, people have used buildings, walls, curbs etc.

WDK

cruzbill 07-04-2017 03:15 PM

I use a front-end security camera, actually uses two full-color high def cameras and a high powered computer that interprets the images and gives an instant alarm-STOP- when I get anywhere near anything. Camera model has been around since the early 50's and is remarkably consistent. Its the DW!

airshot 07-04-2017 04:52 PM

Until you acquire the ability to judge the spacing on your MH, some carefully placed bubble mirrors can be used similar to what we see on school buses to be able to view the bumpers from the drivers seat. I would prefer to use a spotter myself if things were really close, but having towed trailers of various sizes over many years the ability to judge distance for me has come easy.

powerboatr 07-04-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzbill (Post 3681914)
I use a front-end security camera, actually uses two full-color high def cameras and a high powered computer that interprets the images and gives an instant alarm-STOP- when I get anywhere near anything. Camera model has been around since the early 50's and is remarkably consistent. Its the DW!

:dance::dance::dance:
i have one of them set ups as well, works rain or shine, volume sometimes needs adjusting :whistling:

brabono 07-04-2017 06:00 PM

There is a training g video I saw at Lazy Days that teaches you how to
By marking a spot on windshield where you first see the feet of someone standing in front of RV. Mine is 16 feet. I think this video is online too

LETMGROW 07-04-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshan0711 (Post 3681866)
I am relatively new and always have had the problem of not being able to see how much room I have in front when I am maneuvering in a tight spot and have to be as close as possible when turning. Any suggestions or is there sensors that I can install that would beep when very close. Thank you

You are new but have always had a problem seeing how much room you have in front of you? What have you been driving that you have had a problem with?
The front of a class A should be relatively easy to judge. You are practically sitting on the front bumper.
The rear is what you should be really concerned with. With the overhang behind the rear axle the swing out can contact things you can't see.
Your best defense would be to avoid a spot where nearly scrapping a fender off just to get through a spot or park your RV would be necessary.
Lynn

bobbelcher 07-05-2017 07:43 AM

I kind of ran into this problem this weekend. I took my motorhome to a friends house to stay over night during some 4th of july festivities. The driveway was tight and the road is barely a 1 car road. I knew it was going to take some maneuvering but knew i could get in and out alright. When I got there I had 2 ppl spot me. one on the back and one on the front. I can usually do a good job but its always better having a spotter. My problem wasn't hitting something with the front end, but rather with having the front tires off the road and into the ditch on the other side of the road when i had to pull forward to get a better shot at it. the road drops off pretty steep on the other side and my vantage point seemed like i was real close to driving off the edge of the road into the ditch. I didn't want to drive forward anymore but I trusted my spotters and inched forward until I got the closed fist stop sign from my front spotter.

You can get a wireless license plate cam relatively cheap for the front but not sure how well that will do for your corners. I think just taking it to an abandoned parking lot with some sort of cones or maybe cardboard cones so you can practice. nothing trumps practice.

KSagal 07-05-2017 07:58 AM

A simple solution may be what truckers use. If you go to a trucker supply, you can get orange posts, or lighted sticks that you bolt to the very front corners of your bumper, but they stick up high enough to be seen out your windshield.

That way, when close, you do not have to guess, you can see the obstruction, and the corner marker at the same time.

JohnRR 07-05-2017 08:11 AM

Never lose that sense of concern it will get you into trouble.

Cooperhawk 07-05-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerboatr (Post 3682072)
:dance::dance::dance:
i have one of them set ups as well, works rain or shine, volume sometimes needs adjusting :whistling:

Same here!:eek::D

JLWoodward 07-05-2017 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got to say be careful using spotter not familiar with rv's. I usually stop and go look several times. A camera system would be good but won't tell the whole story of what's close to what depending on the obstacles. Even spotters provided by camp site don't nesascarily know what their doing but most of them okay. I had a trailer backed into my jeep this weekend by a campsite spotterAttachment 167615