iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Spare wheel in motorhome? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/spare-wheel-in-motorhome-356163.html)

Kempes 08-23-2017 06:32 PM

Spare wheel in motorhome?

After 10 years of camping with travel trailers, I bought my first RV - 2005 National Seabreeze 1311.
During our first camping trip I noticed that there's no spare wheel. Is that common ?
I have roadside assistance plan, but in the case of flat tire, how they will able to help me?
Anybody with such experience?

Happy camping to everyone!

Kempes

WillandJane 08-23-2017 06:39 PM

....they will bring out a tire of the same size or as close to it as they can get and put it on. It may not be of the same brand or one you like so chances are you will have to roll with it until you get to get exactly what you want though you will have to pay twice depending on your plan. Not many people carry a spare.....chances are you will hurt yourself putting it on.

WDK

Mr_D 08-23-2017 06:43 PM

In my case I have two different sized wheels and tires. Front and tag take a 365/70 on a 10" wide rim and the drive takes a 315/80 on 9" wide rim. Just no way to carry even one of them let alone one of each.

pointrow 08-23-2017 06:56 PM

I bought a matching un mounted tire. Doesn't take up much room in the basement and I was amazed at what can be packed inside it.
Good luck
Pointrow

WillandJane 08-23-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointrow (Post 3767814)
I bought a matching un mounted tire. Doesn't take up much room in the basement and I was amazed at what can be packed inside it.
Good luck
Pointrow

....good idea.....I'd rather not do that as a full timer though as I get rid of some stuff not used, I will have to give it some thought.

WDK

phil-t 08-23-2017 07:07 PM

My '10 Vista 32K came with a spare wheel and tire (same as what's on the MH). I had a rear inside blow out just 10 days ago. Called Good Sam Roadside Assistance and they had a service truck there in less than an hour. Guy put the spare on and we were on our way. I do not believe Roadside Assistance would cover replacing the tire if you do not have a usable spare. I know the Good Sam Roadside does not. AND it would be way more than an hour or so to get back on the road. In my case, I have a tire wheel protection agreement. When got to a location that could take care of the agreement, the tire was replaced, mounted and balanced, with the same make and model tire. More than $400.00 worth. I had to pay the shipping to get the tire to the dealer.
I am very happy with the Good Sam packages we purchased with the MH.
I do understand that most MHs do not come with a spare.

Tony Lee 08-23-2017 07:10 PM

I bought a used tyre without rim and used ratchet straps to pull it up underneath between the chassis rails so all I need is roadside service to change it. I also carry a tyre plug kit which works perfectly on the usual nail and screw punctures and with that you can be on your way without outside assistance. Have an air hose and chuck to get air from the on-board supply.
Trouble is there are plenty of places in the US, Baja and Canada we go that have no mobile reception and no passing traffic either so I've been tempted to get a jack (or use the leveling jacks) and lug wrench so I can steal one of the dual wheels to put on the front if required. A flat dually isn't cause for concern. Just pump the other one up to maximum sidewall pressure and head for the nearest town at 20mph.

In Australia I always have a full mounted spare and also an unmounted spare for the rigs and all the tools required to change it. When you are 200km from the nearest garage you either fix it yourself or stay there forever.

FatChance 08-23-2017 07:43 PM

If you carry either, it would be better to have a spare tire than a spare wheel.

Soppy 08-23-2017 08:11 PM

I carry a mounted spare . At most of the places where I boondock , there is no cell service , so outside help is not available. Heck, there is so little traffic I wouldn't even have to pull off the road. Got a bottle jack and big breaker bar tucked away just in case . Those big tires take some real work to replace , but it can be done.

ThePowells 08-23-2017 08:59 PM

It took how long to find out that you don't have a spare? I'm sorry but to me that is a priority, especially for someone with 10 years RV experience.

But anyway, you don't say anything about towing anything. There are a few spare tire carriers that mount into a Reese hitch. One is fixed, one will rotate the tire to the ground by use of a cheater bar for much ease. Used and new wheels are available and relatively inexpensive. Buying a new matching tire or a used tire in good shape isn't that bad.

It's 10 PM and you are 20 minutes from your camping for the night. You are 30 miles from the closest town of over 3000 people and maybe farther than that from a usual truck route. You hit an object and cut a tire.
Weigh the two scenarios:
A: You call your ERS provider and give them your location and tell them that you have a non repairable tire and do not have a spare tire or wheel. When your ERS starts calling providers, most of them will be truck tire services who probably do not stock new 19" tires and may have a very limited stock, if any used ones. How many calls will your ERS have to make to find somebody with this tire, much less a match to what you have. The best bad idea may be having to tow you to a shop to get you off the road and to a safer place. Remember, ERS will tow you to the closest qualified shop. My 16" tires are $210 new after shopping them. There is no shopping tires at 10-11 PM in the middle of nowhere. So what happens when cousin Billybob shows up to a captive audience (you) and informs you all he has is a used unknown brand tire with no warranty, and then charges you about what you would have paid for a new one at home (with no warranty) AND $50 to mount it, and maybe mileage or hourly rate finding a tire which has to be paid for up front. Remember, your ERS only pays for removing and replacing a mounted tire.
B: Same place and same time. You have taken a little time and prepared for this. Then there is no waiting until tomorrow to find a tire at captive audience prices paid up front. 30 minutes after the truck arrives (travelling directly to you instead of tire hunting), you sign the ticket and you are on your way.
I happened to point this out to SWMBO two weeks ago when going through West Virginia and we hadn't passed a fire department, store, or roadside stand in 30 minutes. She smiled knowing that all I had to do was to be able to get off the road and it was all good. My mount, new wheel, and used tire that is less than 1 year old and is an exact match to my OEM Michelins cost less than the listed price for the same tire. Another thing is that if a good Samaritan stops to help and you have nothing to help with, you are not going to get much help.

I'm sorry if I started off bluntly, but more and more, both in real life and reading on here, I see people just doing what ever and how ever without any modicum of responsibility or planning and then expect everybody else to make everything okay for them. If I find you on the side of the road, I'll be glad to stop to try and help and I carry about everything needed to change your tire, but without a tire and wheel, all my stuff is useless.

Unicorn Driver 08-23-2017 09:09 PM

My 4 rear tires had to be replaced last year due to age (front 2 were ok), I happened to check the spare and decided to swap it out also.

jacwjames 08-23-2017 09:15 PM

We planned a trip to Alaska and after reading the stories of the road conditions etc I decided to carry a mounted spare. I bought a rim and used one of the tires I just replaced as the spare. The mounted spare was too large to carry in my basement so I had to fabricate a tire carrier.

Never had a need to use it but it was reassuring to know I had a spare. I also carry the tools & have the know how on how to change if needed.

I've since made a different carrier so I can pull our jeep. If you see a motorhome driving down the road with a large spare tire mounted on the back it is probably me:laugh:

gruelens 08-24-2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillandJane (Post 3767783)
.... Not many people carry a spare.....chances are you will hurt yourself putting it on.

WDK

I agree with the above posting. Some 22.5" wheel lugs torque to 475 ft. lbs. I need a torque multiplier to break my lugs loose and re-tighten them. Not to mention handling the spare from storage to mounting. Also, changing a tire, on the shoulder of the road, can often cause you to work close to moving vehicles.

veraken 08-24-2017 07:34 AM

One thing I know for sure is that I'm not changing the tires on my my MH by myself. I carry an unmounted spare so that roadservice does not have to search for one while we're sitting on the side of the road. If you want to carry a mounted spare and don't want to loose the space, consider this.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories