iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Use of tag axle (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/use-of-tag-axle-356265.html)

pplwizard 08-24-2017 12:24 PM

Use of tag axle

I'm new to using a tag axel... Can it stay down when turning normal corners on a street?

ColoradoBnd 08-24-2017 01:06 PM

I'm new to mine as well and interested in what people say. I've only released pressure on mine on very tight corners, not the normal 90 degrees around town. I always dump mine when backing 90 tight turns, but I understand it is supposed to dump itself in reverse. I have NOT heard it dump itself yet.

Lv2Roam2 08-24-2017 02:23 PM

Yes - in normal driving conditions the tag can remain 'down.' Note that some tags are 'liftable' and some are 'not liftable' (they have air bags that can be deflated).

Many tag systems' air bags will auto-deflate when the transmission is in reverse and the tag switch is set to 'auto.' Otherwise it requires a manual switch / button input. I keep my tag switch set to 'auto' for reverse action - and manually deflate the tag air bags when moving forward through tight corners at slow speeds in campgrounds, gas stations, etc. If you do not deflate the air bags cornering at slow speed going forward (and reverse) you will experience some tire edge scrub which is a known, expected affect and not a cause of meaningful tire problems.

Triker56 08-24-2017 02:36 PM

Doesn't lifting the tag put to much weight on the main axle tires? And put a lot of stress on them?
If not then what are the tags for or even needed?

I have seen them tare up a lot of grass in old campgrounds while trying to get in a site when tag isn't lifted.

Mr_D 08-24-2017 02:44 PM

Mine lifts. I usually don't bother with it unless doing a tight turn in a campground or into my driveway. It automatically lowers at between 8 and 10 mph.

ColoradoBnd 08-24-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 (Post 3769171)
Yes - in normal driving conditions the tag can remain 'down.' Note that some tags are 'liftable' and some are 'not liftable' (they have air bags that can be deflated).

Many tag systems' air bags will auto-deflate when the transmission is in reverse and the tag switch is set to 'auto.' Otherwise it requires a manual switch / button input. I keep my tag switch set to 'auto' for reverse action - and manually deflate the tag air bags when moving forward through tight corners at slow speeds in campgrounds, gas stations, etc. If you do not deflate the air bags cornering at slow speed going forward (and reverse) you will experience some tire edge scrub which is a known, expected affect and not a cause of meaningful tire problems.

So, for those of us that do NOT have and AUTO switch - does that mean we always have to dump in reverse?

Bfmorgan 08-24-2017 02:51 PM

I do not have an auto switch for the tag. Manuals says the tag will lift in reverse.

JohnBoyToo 08-24-2017 02:51 PM

I so rarely release my tag that I forget when it would be helpful to make that turn tighter, etc... as far as dumping automatically, mine is manual in all ways as far as I know...

Each rv is different, but my manual says:
TAG AXLE:
Switch on driver console deflates tag axle air bags. The bar light on the switch is illuminated when the tag axle air bags are deflated.
NOTE:
Deflate the tag axle air bags when making sharp turns under 5 mph.
NOTE:
Do not drive the motorhome over 5 MPH with tag axle air bags deflated. The manufacturer will not be held responsible for any damage that may occur from driving with the tag axle air bags deflated.

I was told this is one thing mine DOES do automatically, it inflates the tag axle bags when I am over a certain speed...

96 Wideglide 08-24-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfmorgan (Post 3769205)
I do not have an auto switch for the tag. Manuals says the tag will lift in reverse.

First time I've heard of this, on a Roadmaster chassis!

I know mine doesn't.

cvbdsl 08-24-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide (Post 3769212)
First time I've heard of this, on a Roadmaster chassis!

I know mine doesn't.

Same as on my 2008 HR Scepter 42PDQ, though initially i thought it would raise automatically but it does not state that anywhere in the manual.

Chris

Lv2Roam2 08-24-2017 04:50 PM

One of our shared dilemmas as owners is 'every rig is a little different' ... where an 'auto' dump switch does not exist it 'usually' implies that the tag will lift or dump anytime the transmission is placed into reverse (emphasis on usually) ... going forward 'usually' requires a manual switch / button input ...

If your manuals and/or dash switches don't clearly indicate what's happening you should call your chassis manufacturer and get them to send you the applicable 'guidelines, specs, instructions, etc.' ...

WyoFree 08-24-2017 05:30 PM

Two main reasons to raise a tag is to 1. Make a tighter turn and 2..Put more weight on the drive axle to pull you out of mud etc. You also have some parks that have a sign saying lift your tag.

Harry

pointrow 08-24-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triker56 (Post 3769179)
Doesn't lifting the tag put to much weight on the main axle tires? And put a lot of stress on them?
If not then what are the tags for or even needed?

I have seen them tare up a lot of grass in old campgrounds while trying to get in a site when tag isn't lifted.

At slow speed the tires can handle the weight fine. That's why most inflate over 10 mph.

CarlAda 08-24-2017 06:34 PM

I rarely lift mine.