iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Generac QP65G output voltage (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/generac-qp65g-output-voltage-361116.html)

larryjb2 09-25-2017 09:03 PM

Generac QP65G output voltage

I recently purchased a 2003 Newmar Scottsdale with a generac qp65g generator.
Generator runs fine,I changed the oil and filter today so ran it for 1 hour prior to changing the oil.
What I noticed and what concerns me is the unloaded voltage output.
With no load the voltage is 149 volts.
I plugged in a 1500 watt electric space heater and the output was 135 volts.
Ran it this way for 1 hour then changed oil and filter.
I'm afraid to try the a/c unless this is normal operation for a generac generator.
I also tried a 100 watt light and voltage was 149 volts.
I used a fluke true rms meter so I believe the reading.I also have a ac voltage monitor that shows the same readings.
When on shore power everything indicates 120 volts.

Tom17 09-25-2017 10:08 PM

Have the same genny in a 2005 Scottsdale and had the same problem. DIY replacement of the voltage regulator board fixed it.

jfoldesi 09-25-2017 10:18 PM

There is also a pot adjustment on regulator. Try decreasing voltage with that.

jfoldesi 09-25-2017 10:19 PM

There is a pot adjustment on regulator. You can try decreasing voltage with that.

larryjb2 09-25-2017 10:31 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom17 (Post 3821879)
Have the same genny in a 2005 Scottsdale and had the same problem. DIY replacement of the voltage regulator board fixed it.

Thanks for quick reply.
I was thinking the voltage regulator also but wanted to be sure.
I found one online and the site had these instructions:
IMPORTANT:
After installing the new voltage regulator, determine if the frequency is correct. Set mechanical governors to 62Hz at no load. Electronic governors set to 60Hz no load. After determining that the hertz are correct, measure the AC output. The voltage should be 124VAC at 62Hz with no load or 120VAC at 60Hz with no load. If the voltage is either high or low, adjust the brass screw in blue trim potentiometer next to the red LED to the correct voltage.

What do i need to do this?
I'm thinking of checking this before i buy the regulator.

Charlie 5320 09-25-2017 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryjb2 (Post 3821910)
Thanks for quick reply.
I was thinking the voltage regulator also but wanted to be sure.
I found one online and the site had these instructions:
IMPORTANT:
After installing the new voltage regulator, determine if the frequency is correct. Set mechanical governors to 62Hz at no load. Electronic governors set to 60Hz no load. After determining that the hertz are correct, measure the AC output. The voltage should be 124VAC at 62Hz with no load or 120VAC at 60Hz with no load. If the voltage is either high or low, adjust the brass screw in blue trim potentiometer next to the red LED to the correct voltage.

What do i need to do this?
I'm thinking of checking this before i buy the regulator.

YES, adjust the regulator if the set is working. Problem is the governor may have the engine running too fast. That will cause the HRZ and the voltage to be too high. I'd adjust the regulator to the correct voltage then load it up and check it again. if the generator responds quickly to the loads you put on it, let it run.

larryjb2 09-25-2017 10:47 PM

adjust

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 (Post 3821919)
YES, adjust the regulator if the set is working. Problem is the governor may have the engine running too fast. That will cause the HRZ and the voltage to be too high. I'd adjust the regulator to the correct voltage then load it up and check it again. if the generator responds quickly to the loads you put on it, let it run.

So while watching the voltage i slow down the engine then check under load?

jfoldesi 09-25-2017 11:22 PM

Yes, take cover off and will see regulator. Will have red light on it. Try adjusting voltage.

larryjb2 09-25-2017 11:42 PM

Thanks to all

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoldesi (Post 3821972)
Yes, take cover off and will see regulator. Will have red light on it. Try adjusting voltage.

i'm going to look at the generator tomorrow and try adjusting it.I will have to get a meter to measure the frequency so i can set it according to the manual.
Will report back afterwards.
Thanks!