iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   Bounder: Onan 5.5 HGJAB Generator Problem (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/onan-5-5-hgjab-generator-problem-361748.html)

mst0neham123 09-30-2017 01:41 PM

Onan 5.5 HGJAB Generator Problem

Tested my generator Friday morning for 15 minutes, everything fine. Went to start it today, starts fine, but cuts off after 10-15 seconds. Fault code 37. Any ideas what to look for?

Medic57 10-01-2017 11:19 AM

Everything I've read points to fuel. Could be filter, pump, or carb. If it had been sitting for a length of time, maybe some trash broke loose after the 15 minute run and got in the carb. Good luck.

Rocky Larson 10-01-2017 01:55 PM

This may be a shot in the dark, try turning off as many loads as possible, especially converter and heaters. See if the gen will keep running then add loads as it warms up. :popcorn: good luck.

twinboat 10-01-2017 02:05 PM

Make sure you have 1/4 tank or more of fuel.

They run out before the main engine so you can get to a station.

ClassyClassA 10-02-2017 09:45 PM

My Southwind generator cuts out after gas is down to 1/2 tank. Fill the tank first. If it works the same, consider the fact that the Onan fuel pumps fail often. If you bother to do that, change the filter while in there. Amazon has both. Note that if you do this yourself, remember to have something ready to stop the fuel flow till you can connect the new stuff. There's a lot more fuel ready to run out than when you work on the mower.

mst0neham123 10-03-2017 08:29 AM

Appreciate the advice from everyone. Fuel tank is full.

I made certain everything was off inside RV. I opened the gen breakers and it started right up. Stopped the unit and closed one breaker. Started right up. Stopped the unit and closed the second breaker. Started right up. Put load on the unit and ran for 20 minutes.

Everything seems good now.

Medic57 10-03-2017 01:52 PM

So, was it a miraculous healing, or were you low on fuel? Share your resolution so we can all learn. Even if it was something you feel is silly, we've all been there.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

mst0neham123 10-05-2017 07:33 AM

Fuel tank was full when all this started.

Medic57 10-05-2017 08:50 AM

So you didn't find a reason for the problem you were having?

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

KF5UMC 10-06-2017 03:29 AM

What did the fault code represent? On our Onan 8KW genset, it will shut off with 15 seconds or less when high or low oil pressure is detected.

mst0neham123 10-06-2017 07:26 AM

I got a fault code 37, which basically means take it to a service center.

Before taking it to a service center, I rode over in my car and talked to the shop foreman. He gave me the sequence I followed. The oil level in the generator was fine.

Swan-Bull 10-07-2017 11:11 PM

This happened to me recently. We were traveling from SLC to north west of Boise in the extreme heat, (about 110) and decent elevation (around 3000) and the generator was cutting out while we were driving. We had it cranking all through the drive. My research showed that the code meant the generator had shut down unexpectedly. I let her rest for a bit, topped off the oil, and gave the air filter a good cleaning as we weren't near anywhere we could get a fresh one. I also adjusted the altitude setting. Once we got to our destination where we were dry camping for the week, it ran fine. We ran it on and off each day for about 8 hours or so with no issues. It was also a bit cooler there. Hasn't given me any issues since.

I guess the moral of the story is that with a code like this it could be anything. I've read other places that cleaning the carb or replacing fuel filter can resolve this issue. Make sure your generator is getting what it needs - air, fuel, and lubrication.

mojoracing 10-14-2017 04:06 AM

I find that priming it a bit longer can avoid this problem. Prime it for as much as 20 to 25 seconds. I believe air gaps can form and can cause the gen to stop after a few seconds. Again, I sould like a broken record but I always carry an extra fuel pump for the gen. I went through the original plus 2 more before finally getting the last one that has now lasted a few years. Hopefully onan has worked through their bad batch of pumps or has changed suppliers.

ga traveler 10-16-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoracing (Post 3849934)
I find that priming it a bit longer can avoid this problem. Prime it for as much as 20 to 25 seconds. I believe air gaps can form and can cause the gen to stop after a few seconds. Again, I sould like a broken record but I always carry an extra fuel pump for the gen. I went through the original plus 2 more before finally getting the last one that has now lasted a few years. Hopefully onan has worked through their bad batch of pumps or has changed suppliers.

I have posted this before but here it is again for those who missed it. I was changing far to many fuel pumps on Onan generators. I finally decided to research the problem. I started to tear down all the pumps and test them. I found almost every one was contaminated with rust. Not slabs of metal like you think of rust, but tiny grains of rust that looked like tiny sand particles. I checked with a magnet and all the particles were attracted to the magnet.
I went back to the Onan installation manual and it called for a filter BEFORE the pump. I started looking at all the onan installs and there was no filter before the pump. I started installing a filter before the pump and the pump failures stopped.