iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/)
-   -   If you don't carry a spare ? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/if-you-dont-carry-a-spare-361837.html)

Playinthru 10-01-2017 07:51 AM

If you don't carry a spare ?

Do you still carry a bottle jack ? I don't and wanted to see other opinions. I would like to carry a spare but it not going to happen, so do i need the jack?

redcolorado 10-01-2017 09:47 AM

I do not carry a spare but I do carry a bottle jack. I have never used it on the MH, I kinda carry it because I have it. I believe it is better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

puttin 10-01-2017 10:10 AM

Playinthru,

You didn't mention what kind of rig you have so it's hard to give an opinion. I have a 35' class a and carry a mounted spare in a dedicated compartment. We also have a road side assistance plan as well and would have to use both in the event we needed the spare. Again, without being specific about the rig it's hard to give advice but I think in any case I would not try to use a bottle jack- the foot print is very small.

Triker56 10-01-2017 10:16 AM

I carry a ERS card with a 800 number to call for any flats.

luvlabs 10-01-2017 10:21 AM

A spare tire is standard on Sprinter chassis. Does your Platinum XL not have a spare? My Navion sure has one.

Unplanned Tourist 10-01-2017 10:25 AM

I have a 20 ton jack, torque multiplier, tire irons and a compressor. I recently hung an unmounted spare under the back, between the frame extensions. We spend a lot of time in areas with no cell service and fairly remote, so even though I have Good Sam road service, it would be useless. I am capable of re and re of the wheel, and would change the tire if I had to, but it's like insurance, you have it, but hope to never use it. Great to have if and when you do need it.
Happy Glamping.

porchracer 10-01-2017 10:31 AM

My concern would be, If you're out where no service is avail and you decided to change a tire with tire irons what do you do if injury occurs. Tire mounting is a dangerous feat even for the guys that do it for a living. Just my thoughts.

Unplanned Tourist 10-01-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchracer (Post 3830346)
My concern would be, If you're out where no service is avail and you decided to change a tire with tire irons what do you do if injury occurs. Tire mounting is a dangerous feat even for the guys that do it for a living. Just my thoughts.

My wife is a nurse in the operating room, so got that covered! :rofl:
Actually, I have changed tires before, started in 1971, so got a little practice under my belt. :thumb: Chain wrapped around the tire, through the center and be sure the tire is centered on the rim. ;)
Just hope I don't need a blast can, that's when the starting fluid comes out!! :eek:
Happy Glamping.

Playinthru 10-01-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvlabs (Post 3830323)
A spare tire is standard on Sprinter chassis. Does your Platinum XL not have a spare? My Navion sure has one.

No spare on my Coach House. Obviously a weight issue for CH and now for me!

Tireman9 10-01-2017 10:56 AM

Carry spare video

HERE is a YouTube on the topic.

Note the blog address ends .NET not .COM

Scooter 10-01-2017 11:16 AM

playinthru.....I am a dunce about class B, B+.....but I would recommend you do carry a mounted spare. What would it weigh...50 lbs ? You are at the mercy of a repair shop to find a spare on a weekend or holiday...at a fair price....and get the tech out to you.

S Bradley 10-01-2017 11:24 PM

No spare here is why.

Class C or B/B+

I have Borg metal valve stems, TMS, Tire Monitor System (Tire Minder). Monitors pressure and temperature on up to 18 wheels.

I also carry a tire plug kit, I have used it in the past with great results.
If you do plug a tire consider it a a temporary fix, at your first opportunity have it patched permanently.

Do you have dual rear wheels? Carry a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts the wrench in the kit will break them free if you a really big guy.

You actually have spares, two. Worst case would be front flat because you will need to jack the vehicle twice. If you were to end up on one tire in the rear I consider this limp mode; drive at a slow speed (20 - 25 mph) to the nearest repair facility monitoring tire temperature and pressure. It may still ruin the tire you are running on but should get you out do a tight spot.

Would I carry a spare yes, if I could reasonably store it. But on the Unity TB under storage is not an option. Could be on a hitch mount ($300-500) plus tire & rim approximately 85 lb., could be stored under the one bed, it will fit.

My 2 cents

Playinthru 10-02-2017 11:34 AM

Thank you S Bradley,
Yes i do have 2 spares and didn't even think of that. Wow! I will be bringing along the jack, but hopefully not use it. Short distance, and at a slow speed i could use one of the rears for a front flat in an "emergency situation".Thanks everyone for understanding my lack of experience.

redcolorado 10-02-2017 01:09 PM

If I ever have a flat I will call a tire service. I will buy whatever tire they have. When I can I will have GCR tire order me a tire to match the other 5. I will then use the tire provided by the tire service as a unmounted spare, I have a space to store it. If I am in an area where I do not have cell service my 2015 Colorado has a 450 mile range to take me to where I will have service. That is my plan. I am not out any money before the event and I am not carrying any unnecessary weight.