iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   Fleetwood southwind wont start (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/fleetwood-southwind-wont-start-362250.html)

Frankp 10-04-2017 08:26 PM

Used and then rebuilt

Rsponsford 10-04-2017 11:16 PM

Are you sure the battery is fully charged, or at least enough for a start?

Frankp 10-04-2017 11:26 PM

Brand new

Rsponsford 10-05-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankp (Post 3836325)
Brand new

I would still test the battery voltage to be sure. More than once have I purchased a new battery that was weak from sitting too long on the shelf. May not be the problem here but would be good to be sure. You should see around 12.7 volts without a load if itís charged.

Frankp 10-05-2017 04:52 AM

Will try that thanx

Waiter21 10-05-2017 05:02 AM

Are the starter gears mechanically binding against the flywheel?

Is it the correct flywheel gear to match the starter.

Didn't some GMs starters had shims?

Frankp 10-20-2017 01:10 PM

, I've done everything that everybody has suggested realigning transmission torque converter had the batteries load tested had the starter load tested I am now on my 4th starter this one is closer to the original size. Now when we hook everything up and we turn the key we get a clicking sound like it's a weak battery. I tried jumping it I tried plugging it in and hooking it up to the battery charger with a starter boost in the same results of clicking like it's a weak battery. Please help frustration is mounting thank you

Waiter21 10-20-2017 01:15 PM

Use a set of jumper cables and jump straight from the battery to the starter, Both the plus and the minus... Connect minus battery first, then connect the other end to one of the starter mount bolts

Then connect the plus on the starter, then the other end on the battery plus.

Podivin 10-20-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiter21 (Post 3860425)
Use a set of jumper cables and jump straight from the battery to the starter, Both the plus and the minus... Connect minus battery first, then connect the other end to one of the starter mount bolts

Then connect the plus on the starter, then the other end on the battery plus.

I presume this is to bypass all of the existing wiring to see if that's the problem.
Should the OP turn the key to 'on' before doing this test?
If the starter's going to spin might as well let the beastie go ahead and start if it wants to. :)

Waiter21 10-20-2017 02:17 PM

^^ Exactly...

The problem he's experiencing, the starter will not turn the engine.

Engine turns fine by hand.

Unplanned Tourist 10-20-2017 05:17 PM

Can you make a mark on a tooth on the flexplate, then count the teeth as you slowly turn the engine over? Then count the teeth on the old flexplate. Could be you have a different one.
It sounds like there is a mechanical problem of some sort, and the parts are not matching up.
You say the battery voltage is up, and the cables are all good, so maybe test the voltage at the starter when you try to crank it over. Could be something as simple as a bad cable, not giving enough voltage when under load.
Happy Glamping.

ga traveler 10-20-2017 05:33 PM

Back during this period of time, when you ordered a starter for a 454, It came with metal spacers. It sounds like you need to increase the space between the starter and the flywheel. If there is not enough space it will bind the starter and not let it turn. These spacers are still available from all the major auto parts dealers.