iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Do you disconnect toad when leveling MH? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/do-you-disconnect-toad-when-leveling-mh-362348.html)

MikeD1 10-04-2017 01:58 PM

Do you disconnect toad when leveling MH?

Might be a dumb question. I've always disconnected my Jeep before we level our Class A motorhome. Worried that something will catch or bind. Of course it would certainly save some time on nights when we're just parking in a quick pull through. Any negative experiences staying hooked up? Using a Ready Brute Elite towbar and surge brake system.

retired-guy 10-04-2017 02:01 PM

I've left our Jeep attached several times on overnight stops. No issues.

NLOVNIT 10-04-2017 02:04 PM

We've never leveled our coach with the toad attached. Even when Wally-docking or in a rest area. I guess we've been lucky enough to get spots level enough we don't have to. Plus, for in a WM or rest area, I don't feel it's appropriate to extend jacks. But that's just my opinion.

Lori-

S-n-L 10-04-2017 02:04 PM

We too have left the toad on overnight and leveled with no issues. While driving we encounter far more extreme ups, downs and twists than we would leveling the coach.

UFO Pilot 10-04-2017 02:06 PM

In a pull thru for the nite and enough room, I leave our CRV connected if we aren't going to use it.

JBDISCOVERY 10-04-2017 02:11 PM

Leave the Equinox hooked up when traveling for one night pull through sites.
Have not had a problem ever.
JimB

FIRE UP 10-04-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD1 (Post 3835621)
Might be a dumb question. I've always disconnected my Jeep before we level our Class A motorhome. Worried that something will catch or bind. Of course it would certainly save some time on nights when we're just parking in a quick pull through. Any negative experiences staying hooked up? Using a Ready Brute Elite towbar and surge brake system.

MikeD1,
You're gonna be fine with the toad connected while leveling. I mean, think about it. Unless your coach was in some seriously UNLEVEL situation prior to leveling, the amount of angle between the attachment point of the tow bar on the coach, and the attachment point(s) on the Jeep, would handle any angle you dare to put it through. Another way of looking at it is, when you enter or exit many fuel stops, gas stations, whatever, your Jeep and motor home are experiencing sometimes, some severe angularity and you don't even know it.

Your Jeep is in neutral when towing it so, when you park your coach and level it, and the coach begins to rise some, your Jeep will follow it, no matter how far you have to travel in height. That jeep will follow until that tow bar practically up to a 90 degree angle, perpendicular to the front bumper, just about. I doubt you'd need that much to level.

It is of course, up to you to disconnect if you like. But, if it's a one-night stop, and you plan on booking in the A.M., and you don't plan on using the Jeep after you've parked in your camp spot, then there's no real reason to disconnect. If your Jeep or tow bar would bind in such small angles when leveling, it would surely not handle the angularity of towing angles and variations. Good luck.
Scott

Cousin Ed 10-04-2017 02:24 PM

If we are not going to use it, it stays attached.

TonyDi 10-04-2017 02:53 PM

If I'm just overnight parking I rarely put the levelers down.

MisterT 10-04-2017 02:56 PM

what could possibly 'bind' that wouldn't already 'bind' while you're towing it?

Winemaker2 10-04-2017 02:59 PM

I don't disconnect but I do release the tow bar and partially collapse the arm. That leaves some slack so toad doesn't put any forces on the MH.

C&SL 10-04-2017 03:17 PM

We always leave it attached when not needed.
We always check the the hitch before moving no matter how long we have parked, if it was a half hr. or overnight just to make sure everything is ok.

THenman 10-04-2017 03:24 PM

I leave ours attached but normally air level for quick over nights. Shucks even when staying someplace for a bit I level before unhooking. Our coach wants motor running and level before slide operation.

les.warden 10-04-2017 05:58 PM

Only time we unhook toad is if we’re going to use it. And the unhook is always after leveling the MH. So based on this, we never unhook toad when leveling.