iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   What would you buy...... (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/what-would-you-buy-365476.html)

aknavy 10-27-2017 01:26 PM

What would you buy......

If you were moving from a 40 foot fiver to a class A, want to tow a 4 door Jeep Wrangler, don't want a bunch of unexpected expenses in the future, and have a max of $100k budget? Preferably under $80k, but willing to stretch for the right rig. We full time, so we have no real home base, so access to service when needed is important as well. I do all most/all the home repairs, but I'm kinda over doing mechanical repairs, unless it's fairly simple.

NC25T 10-27-2017 01:40 PM

there are numerous threads discussing similar situations, this is kinda what it boils down to

- how many miles a year do you plan to put on it
- some state where you plan to travel also plays into the equation
- how much can you afford for service/repairs yearly
- how much stuff do you need to bring with you
- how long do you stay at one place

Some state goo older high end coach while others are happy with a newer lower end coach

It then comes down to the floorplan you want, number of slides you want, # of bathrooms etc

There are lots of great coaches out there from several manufacturers.

aknavy 10-27-2017 01:53 PM

Yeah, I've read alot of the threads...most boil down to an older, high end coach...Newmar, Tiffin, Beaver, Monaco, etc. Don't really know where Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, and Winnebago fall out in the mix.

In the last year, I've done around 20K miles. Much of my time will be Southern and Western US, but regular trips to Michigan as well. Intent is to see all 50 states eventually.

I could afford 10k in repairs annually, but that would really make me upset.

We've realized that we don't need as much as we thought - we have alot of extra storage space now, to include "junk" drawers, so I'd guess average amount.

We stay anywhere from overnight to 3-4 weeks. Prefer boondocking when possible, but require LTE data, so that sometimes restricts us. If available, will stay on military bases. I guess most of our stays are in the week range, unless traveling to a dest. Then it's just overnight.

Acheron2010 10-27-2017 02:10 PM

My thoughts would be a well-maintained Winnebago Journey or Tour, and my reasoning would be nationwide service and parts availability. Get an inspection, including engine fluid analysis, and budget to replace all tires. Buying from a dealer might give you peace of mind, and agree to spend a night or two on their lot, testing all systems, and they work on your punch list before heading out.

RickyR 10-27-2017 03:54 PM

Look at some used Winnebago Journey's / Itasca Meridan's.

OLYLEN 10-27-2017 06:39 PM

Look for as high an end coach in Newmar, Tiffin, Beaver, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, and Winnebago no more than 2006 or so. Look for great condition well taken care of that everything works in the floor plan for you. Newer tires and batteries with as much records as possible. Then do anything that has not been done for maintenance. Now you are in a good position for lower costs in the future. Have it checked out by a RV surveyor $300-$500 before purchase to find anything you may miss. You have a reasonable budget just be picky and don't fall in love with one before the purchase is done.

LEN

nothermark 10-27-2017 06:50 PM

Given your budget I would not touch a DP. Repairs mount up too fast. High end gas from Newmar, Tiffen, Winnebago, etc. I'm partial to Newmar, probably a Canyonstar. The issue might be the weight of the combined unit. It depends on what your jeep weighs.

FatChance 10-27-2017 08:34 PM

For what you are looking for, we bought a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016 DP. Works for us.

Ludmilla 10-27-2017 09:08 PM

Whatever you purchase, make sure it will really pull 5K. My Jeep Rubicon 4 door is 4500 pounds curb weight. You get the weight that can be pulled by subtracting the GVWR from the GCWR.

This should not be an issue with diesel pushers but I have found it an issue on some gas models.

aknavy 10-27-2017 09:12 PM

For those that recommend some of the higher end gas coaches, how do you deal with up/down mountains? My current combo has an exhaust brake, which I love, and I'm kinda leary of gas engines as they don't have one.

Golfer Guy 10-27-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknavy (Post 3872053)
Yeah, I've read alot of the threads...most boil down to an older, high end coach...Newmar, Tiffin, Beaver, Monaco, etc. Don't really know where Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, and Winnebago fall out in the mix.

In the last year, I've done around 20K miles. Much of my time will be Southern and Western US, but regular trips to Michigan as well. Intent is to see all 50 states eventually.

I could afford 10k in repairs annually, but that would really make me upset.

We've realized that we don't need as much as we thought - we have alot of extra storage space now, to include "junk" drawers, so I'd guess average amount.

We stay anywhere from overnight to 3-4 weeks. Prefer boondocking when possible, but require LTE data, so that sometimes restricts us. If available, will stay on military bases. I guess most of our stays are in the week range, unless traveling to a dest. Then it's just overnight.

Take a look t the Beaver Ambassador Club forum, beaveramb.org/forum There is a 2005 40' Beaver Monterrey with 4 slides for sale at $65K. That to me is a good deal. It has a new Aqua Hot, 2013 tires, 2 1/2 year extended warranty left on it, 400HP C9 CAT.

I love my 06 Monterrey with the Magnum Roadmaster chassis and C9, I also tow a 1014 Wrangler 4 door. It has all the bells and whistles you need for full time. My understanding is 05 and 06 were the best years for the Monterrey.

Good luck on your search.

Steve

mtofell 10-27-2017 09:47 PM

New gasser - ZERO unexpected expenses for 1 or 2 years. 6 speed tranny does great hauling compared to older combos.

DPs are better in just about every way but you'll undoubtedly encounter repairs. How many and how much? If I could tell you that I wouldn't be sitting here in sweatpants drinking Bud Light typing on an internet message board. I'd be sitting at a craps table in Vegas dressed well and drinking good booze :):)

It really does just come down to how much of a high end coach and high end features you are willing to gamble with.

Cuffemdude 10-27-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acheron2010 (Post 3872063)
My thoughts would be a well-maintained Winnebago Journey or Tour, and my reasoning would be nationwide service and parts availability. Get an inspection, including engine fluid analysis, and budget to replace all tires. Buying from a dealer might give you peace of mind, and agree to spend a night or two on their lot, testing all systems, and they work on your punch list before heading out.

Couldn't agree more. We were blessed with a well maintained '07 Tour in April of this year. We LOVE it! Not quite ready for full time yet, though. No issues so far. Well built and the backing of Winnebago for parts can't be beat.

saddlesore 10-27-2017 10:13 PM

Just sitting back, eating popcorn,Drinking a Canadian Mist & 7 while watching this thread AND the Ball Game....
as for what to buy, Country Coach, Beaver, Newell,or mebbe a Foretravel.... or not