iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   HitchGrip.....do you use one and how well does it work? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/hitchgrip-do-you-use-one-and-how-well-does-it-work-369292.html)

SoCalAngler 11-26-2017 05:49 PM

HitchGrip.....do you use one and how well does it work?

Been thinking of a way to handle hitch easier. I typically leave it attached to truck when traveling and place bars in front storage compartment.

My hitch shank has 13" of rise so tailgate stays up when hitch is attached. In the event I want to remove hitch and access rear truck bed, it would be nice to remove hitch head as easy as possible and with the least amount of strain on my back as possible.

For those of you that use the Hitchgrip.....

Appears the Hitchgrip can be unbalanced at times....I worry that the hitch can slip off the side of the Hitch grip and land on my foot, ruining a trip and sending me to ER!!!:banghead:

Thanks

LJowdy 11-26-2017 05:55 PM

MY friend uses a Hitchgrip, it has NEVER slipped loose.

azhdrider55 11-26-2017 06:56 PM

I use the Anderson gooseneck hitch and it works great! It's easy to hook up and unhook my 5th wheel. It's super light (60 lbs) and takes about 2 minutes to remove. It's also rated at 4,500 lbs tongue weight and 20,000 towing capacity. Like I said I love it. Google it and check it out. Good luck!

lynnmor 11-27-2017 12:43 AM

I made a carrier so I can carry the hitch with the ball and shank free to install in the receiver or the coupler. Gripping by the ball may not balance on some hitches and you cannot insert the ball in the coupler for storage.

Chuck_Hammer 11-29-2017 06:59 AM

I made a handle...

it installs at upper most hole in shank

using 3/8 inch thread-all... bend into a "C" shape... glue a piece of heater hose to top side... and loosely bolt lower to shank... I leave it attached ..

it is balanced on my WHD... easy carry..

NFlcamper 11-29-2017 05:29 PM

When I remove my Weight Distribution Hitch, I take the lock and insert it into the top hole on the height adjustment part of it and use the lock as a handle. Fairly well balanced there, and the lock is cleaner than the ball or shank.

Bigbird65 12-03-2017 05:02 PM

I have had a HitchGrip for 3 years and use it 100% of the time to remove /install my hitch. it takes a lot of strain off of my back. It has never slipped and is always balanced. I made a carrier for the hitch that slips inside the truck and secures with a lock and chain.

https://i.imgur.com/uHlDfyBl.jpg

Mike M. 12-03-2017 05:21 PM

Hitch-Grip is excellent. I have an Equal-I-Zer,so the knuckle is really heavy. No slip,no grease, and one hand control.

Chuck_Hammer 12-04-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbird65 (Post 3928427)
I have had a HitchGrip for 3 years and use it 100% of the time to remove /install my hitch. it takes a lot of strain off of my back. It has never slipped and is always balanced. I made a carrier for the hitch that slips inside the truck and secures with a lock and chain.

https://i.imgur.com/uHlDfyBl.jpg

fyi.. the little shiny clips for the bar release.. they can crack and fail... there is an upgrade for them.... with a little handle at the top ... makes the release easier... like $20.00.

mine failed after 4 weeks of ownership... 2 years ago. and covered under warranty.

Bigbird65 12-04-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer (Post 3929200)
fyi.. the little shiny clips for the bar release.. they can crack and fail... there is an upgrade for them.... with a little handle at the top ... makes the release easier... like $20.00.

mine failed after 4 weeks of ownership... 2 years ago. and covered under warranty.

These have been in regular use since March 2014 with no problems. Do you have a link to the upgrades?

Actually the release on mine couldn't be easier. I slide the bar around towards front of the truck and it slips right out.

Chuck_Hammer 12-04-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbird65 (Post 3929238)
These have been in regular use since March 2014 with no problems. Do you have a link to the upgrades?

Actually the release on mine couldn't be easier. I slide the bar around towards front of the truck and it slips right out.

the "KIT" is only available from the factory... a phone call will be in order..
if you need one...

they did ship out a kit to me at a campground... good thing I was staying for a few weeks... as the bar will NOT LOCK into hitch..

MrDigger 01-01-2018 08:28 PM

I welded a receiver tube to the bottom of the battery tray supports.
Take the hitch from the truck, turn around and slid it into the holder on the trailer. Place locking pin and walk away.
I did weld bracket for the torsion bars also so that I do not have to find a place inside for those. Locks on those keep them secure.

SoCalAngler 01-02-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer (Post 3929200)

Chuck, are you referring to shiny clips on Hitch Grip or your WDH head?

Pics of what you are referring to would be great.
Thanks

SoCalAngler 01-02-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDigger (Post 3970032)
I welded a receiver tube to the bottom of the battery tray supports.
Take the hitch from the truck, turn around and slid it into the holder on the trailer. Place locking pin and walk away.
I did weld bracket for the torsion bars also so that I do not have to find a place inside for those. Locks on those keep them secure.

If you could share pics of this mod it would be great!

Thanks