iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   How to Sanitize Fresh Water Tank? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/how-to-sanitize-fresh-water-tank-370023.html)

BigDogSolo 12-03-2017 09:19 AM

How to Sanitize Fresh Water Tank?

Have a 16 DS 4369. My last two DP's had an inlet to run directly into FW tank. The Dutch Star doesn't (to my knowledge). What is the best way to sanitize the tank?
Thanks

cruzbill 12-03-2017 09:27 AM

If no 'manual fill', just take a 25' garden hose and prefill with bleach, then hook up to hose bib and MH, turn on water. Water will force the bleach from the hose into your FW tank.

judgebobk 12-03-2017 09:52 AM

Take the filter cartridge out and pour bleach in the holder, I use two cups, screw it back on and fill the tank. I found pouring bleach into the hose I got more on myself than the tank.

Mr_D 12-03-2017 10:03 AM

On both our DSDP's you could use the water pump to fill the system with antifreeze, it also worked to pump bleach into the tank and system.

"007" 12-03-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzbill (Post 3927714)
If no 'manual fill', just take a 25' garden hose and prefill with bleach, then hook up to hose bib and MH, turn on water. Water will force the bleach from the hose into your FW tank.

This method is the easiest and this link tells it all.

DrPhil 12-03-2017 11:12 AM

There are several good ways to get chlorine into the tank, and the posts above outline this, but my worry has been how to get it out of the tank. By my estimation, there is 7-10 gallons of dead volume in the fresh tank of my 2017 DSDP due to the side takeoff drain configuration. Anyone have a good way of dealing with this arrangement short of infinite dilution?

Rd1 12-03-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 3927908)
Anyone have a good way of dealing with this arrangement short of infinite dilution?

Drive around the block with the FW drain open!!

DrPhil 12-03-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rd1 (Post 3928218)
Drive around the block with the FW drain open!!

Did one better. Used my jacks to ensure that the drain valve was low. Still left ~5 gal in tank.

The one thing I miss on my 2007 itasca (Winnie) horizon was the fresh water low point blade valve drain.

cruzbill 12-03-2017 02:51 PM

Try dechlor tabs (sodium thiosulfate). Pool supply stores. Flush w/ lotsa water. Speaking of water, if you fill tank with good water from a treated source, you may not need to sanitize, unless you have a known contamination issue you are concerned about. Treated water has a 'chlorine residual' meant to reduce contamination in water distribution systems. Could be all you need.

Old-Biscuit 12-03-2017 03:04 PM

A little diluted bleach MIXTURE left in fresh water tank after sanitizing is NOT going to matter (or hurt you) when you fill fresh water tank full

Solution to pollution is dilution..........
In this case the 'bleach' content will be very very low and the 'bleach' will QUICKLY dissipate
Per CLOROX
When bleach and water are mixed together to create a cleaning or disinfecting solution, the solution is only good for 24 hours. The temperature of the water does not affect the cleaning or disinfecting abilities of the solution. After the 24 hours, the solution begins to lose needed disinfecting properties. Therefore, it is recommended that for disinfecting purposes, the solution is made fresh daily.

1/4 cup per 15 gallons for sanitizing RV Plumbing system---very diluted to begin with

TechWriter 12-03-2017 03:36 PM

If you travel a lot, I suggest using a method that pumps the bleach/water solution through your water hose.

After 7 months on the road, our water hose became contaminated with algae. Long story short -- had to install a new water hose.

Bleaching the water hose might have prevented this.

cruzbill 12-03-2017 03:40 PM

Fix for algae in water hose; Drain hose completely before stowing.

BigDogSolo 12-03-2017 04:51 PM

Thanks For the replys. DW gets a little concerned when we haven't been in the coach for a month or more with stagnation and such building up. When I mentioned we may be boondocking a few times this year, she was on her horse to sanitize since I use to do it in our other coaches, and they were set up for it. Surprised in a newer coach like our DS it isn't as easy..
But sounds like Clorox inside the water filter is pretty easy method.
Thanks again

Scottybdivin 12-03-2017 06:37 PM

50 PPM for 24 hours is the standard for sanitization of a potable water source.

Dreamer1086 12-03-2017 06:47 PM

Here is a link to RV Geeks website. They have the following video on sanitizing tanks. Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System Without a Winterizing Kit